Oranda goldfish with fungus on wen

WitchyTess

A week or so ago I noticed a white spot on my gold/black oranda wen, when I went to check it, the spot easily wiped away, next morning it was back and was easily wiped away again, and in another day it was back. After much research I concluded it was 'mouth fungus' (not restricted to the mouth, can form anywhere on the fishes head from what I read) so I bought a fungus cure, followed all the instructions, (signs of the fungus disappered the first night of treatment, but followed the directions) yesterday was the last day of the treatment. This afternoon I noticed two new white spots on the other side of his wen (spots were not there yesterday), but the previous spot is gone. Whats happening? Is it not fungus or need another treatment? I'm also seeing articles about fish health and garlic juice, can this help? Its only the oranda.

46 gal planted aquarium
2 Orandas
1 fantail
1 Bamboo shrimp
2 reedfish
Dojo loach
Platies
Ghost shrimp
Water change yesterday
Normal levels

Untitled18.png

20161216_125624~2.jpg

20161216_125649~2.jpg

20161216_125636~2.jpg

Demeter

Garlic is a good anti-fungal. You might want to quarantive him if you can, because it can easily spread to the others. You can use aquarium salt to help things along, but I would see about buying some QuIck Cure. It works pretty well for fungus when used as a bath. 10-15 drops per gallon for half a hour every day is what I would try.

WitchyTess

Garlic is a good anti-fungal. You might want to quarantive him if you can, because it can easily spread to the others. You can use aquarium salt to help things along, but I would see about buying some QuIck Cure. It works pretty well for fungus when used as a bath. 10-15 drops per gallon for half a hour every day is what I would try.

Won't the malachite green kill my shrimp and snail? Its in the cure you suggested

Demeter

That's were the quarantine tank come in, and I mainly suggested it as a bath. You mix up some in a bucket and then put the fish in there for a while

And really, gold fish don't belong with tropical fish. The higher temp that the tropicals need might be what is keeping the fungus from going away. You might want to look into getting a 29 or 55 gallon just for the goldfish. They really need to be kept in a species only tank. Once they get bigger they will eat the shrimp.

CindiL

Do those wipe away? When they get growth on their wen, that will also look like white spots and is normal. Is it fuzzy? or slimy looking or just white?

WitchyTess

Do those wipe away? When they get growth on their wen, that will also look like white spots and is normal. Is it fuzzy? or slimy looking or just white?

Yea they are Just slimy not hard or fuzzy

CindiL

Yes, malachite green will kill shrimp and snails so I wouldn't use that. You would be safe though using API Furan 2 or Tetra Fungus Guard if you're sure its just not wen growth.

Whitewolf

The wen should be fuzzy when its growing, and also goldfish will get "bumps" that look like ick on their head, and gill plates and pectoral fins in the spring and fall when the males are in mating form. Dont confuse these two with diseases.
Also, know that fungus does not just "grow" on a fish, there has to be a wound, or some other problem (like bacteerial infectino or skin parasite) for the "fungus" to take hold. Fungus Only eats DEAD tissue. That is how nature breaks stuff down.
If your entire goldfish is coverd in "fungus" its probably as a result of skin parasites and the condiiton is known as "costia"
If the tail has white specks, its just minor wounds or tears. If the wen is fuzzy its just growing. Poor fancy goldfish, probably the most miss diagnoised fish on the planet. All they really need is greens to eat and space to roam.

WitchyTess

Ah yes I knew about the breeding stars, but the rest was very valuable information, thank you!! Sorry for very late reply I could not access forum during site update. The white spots did go away on their own. And I'm sure it is wen growth now thanks to y'all. Heres a picture of him looking angry as thanks

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Samantha Levine
Replies
Views
OutsideFoodBlob
Replies
Views
Effieee
Replies
Views