Oranda Goldfish Moving Slow, Floating,

1. Pars

Pars New Member Member

Hi I have one oranda goldfish,scully, in a 37 gal and she's usually so fast moving and energetic bt recently she just sits at the top of the tank and floats. If i come and disturb her she'll move around for a few seconds and then go right back, so I don't think its swim bladder. Last weekend I had a black moor named mulder in there with her but he died from swim bladder. I found him just bobbing at the top unable to move so I tried to feed him a pea but he wouldn't take it. I then decided to fast him for 3 days but he didn't last that long.
    I'm scared something has happened to my current fish scully. Why is she doing that?

2. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

Swim bladder is not a disease itself, but a symptom of some other problem like constipation or enlarged organs. This can even from gulping too much air while eating floating food. The other problem comes from bacterial infection. If this is the case, an antibiotic may be needed. I know as fish keepers, we would rather find a natural solution. But your fish won't eat and listless. There are a few good treatments, but off the top of my head, I would recommend Tetra Lifeguard. But see what your local pet/Fish store has available.