Oranda Goldfish Diet

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Shiori, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Shiori

Shiori Valued Member Member

Hey hey
    I got my little buddy, named Jasper in a 20 gallon aquarium.
    I bought omega goldfish food, an i have shrimp pellets for my loaches that he also seems to enjoy.
    I was reading up on foods they could eat.
    Different veggies and such but other thungs came up to
    Like canned tuna? Like in water instead of oil or something like that?
    I want to change up his foods and have a nice variety for him
    So i want to know what foods, "human foods" i can feed him.
    Veggies, fruits and other misc stuff that would help him grow and be a healthy goldfish!
    Thanks!

2. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

I've given my goldfish peas, boiled carrots, and blanched greens. I don't think I'd do tuna; goldfish are herbivorous fish mostly and canned tuna tends to have a lot of salt. If you want to give them some protein, they love mosquito larvae, bloodworms, and stuff like that.

3. Alhana

Alhana Valued Member Member

I don't know that I'd want to give my goldfish tuna since there seems to be a chance that its high in mercury. I have heard they like all sorts of human vegetable like foods. Zucchini, cucumber, spinach are some that come to mind. For other fish foods, I just tried Repashy Soilent Green last night and my fish really liked that. Its a powder food that you turn into a jello like substance. You could also try frozen foods like blood worms and brine shrimp.

4. OP
    OP
    Shiori

I was trying to think of alternatives to actually fish food, lile blood worms and things.
    My pet supplies plus doesnt really carry that stuff and in recent days i dont get out much to other pet stores.
    Veggies i can do easily, but protein is something i wanted to help with a little more.
    Are mealworms okay at all?
    I have a bearded dragon so i always have those around.
    Shrimp?
    Just anything with protein would be great help.

5. OP
    OP
    Shiori

I actually took a screen shot from a youtube video. Solid Gold aquatics om foods they good eat.
    Are these foods okay? [​IMG]

6. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Mealworms might have a bit too hard of a shell. Crickets from the pet store I've fed to fish before. You want to pre-kill them, though.

7. happygolucky

happygolucky Well Known Member Member

Solid Gold girl definitely knows what she's doing, I would trust anything she says lol. I still don't see the necessity in canned tuna?

As said earlier, getting some Repashy Soilent Green is a great staple, with veggies as good alternatives.

8. OP
    OP
    Shiori

Well its isnt a necessity. Just another thing to change up the diet without being too expensive.
    It isnt a MUST
    Just something new
    Repashy is a little pricy and i would have to order it online. $10 is alot for a little thing of food.
    Plus veggies as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice