Oranda Goldfish, 20 Gallon

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Shiori, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Shiori

Shiori Valued Member Member

Hey all, my fish are growing!
    I picked up an oranda goldfish, about 3 inches long, from the petstore i work at.
    Currently he's hanging out in my cycled 5 gallon (only for a a day! )
    I want to set him up in my spare 20 gallon tall, with a 200gbh HOB marineland biowheel filter
    And an airstone for extra oxygen since the tank is taller and not wide, the airstone should help
    And some plants as well.

I have a few questions.
    Substrate? I love sand and have a bunch of extra laying around or should i do barebottom? Not sure i like the look but if it will be better for the fish, i can deal

Secondly, would i be able to have an tankmates? I know another goldfish is a no but could have some kind of bottom dweller at all? If not thats fine. Tankmates are not important.

Third.
    Any extra advise would be great, this is the first goldfish i have had in a long time and i want to do it right this time.

Also, i cannot upgrade the tank at all. From the research i did, many have said that a 20 gallon is a good min for a single fancy goldfish, i also do not have room for a long aquarium so this also is not something i can do.
    Thank you!
    [​IMG]

2. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

I don't like keeping goldfish alone so I wouldn't do it.

3. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Substrate is entirely up to you, I preffer sand rather than thick gravel like the one in the picture because it is easier to clean (and grow plants altough you can only grow a few with goldfish as they tend to destroy plants).
    20 gal is the bare minimum for fancy goldfish, and I can not think of anything else than can go with him in a small tank.
    Corydoras need warmer water than goldfish, plecos are too much of a bioload in my oponion and loaches again, temp problems.
    A tip I can give you with goldfish is to do big water changes every week. 50% is usually recommended rather than the common 30%. I would also advice you to give him a varied diet with lots of fiber, feeding him stuff like peas or veggies will keep him thriving as if you just feed him pellets he may get constipated. If you are gonna go planted then research well the plants, I know Java Fern and Java Moss do well with goldfish but I also know goldfish will eat other plants.
    If you are not going planted and just with the fish route I would consider getting a Pothos plant, they are good to keep nitrates in check.
    Overall, the tips I can give you are obvious, varied diet, high fiber and frequent water changes, but just bigger.

4. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I also dont like the idea of keeping goldfish (or almost any fish for that matter) alone but the general concensus is that they will do fine without a companion.

5. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

If you want variety in his diet, get some duckweed in the tank. My sister's goldfish loves a duckweed salad as well as anacharis and water wisteria.

6. Herkimur

Herkimur Well Known Member Member

Those are social creatures like humans.
    Imagine being all alone in a confined small space with no-one to talk to your entire life, even as a child.
    No-one....ever....

7. TheFishGirl

TheFishGirl Valued Member Member

Personally, even in a 20 gallon I had 2 fantails both maybe 1.5 - 2 inches and with my hang on the back filter I never saw ammonia ever and they actually grew a half an inch in the 4 months they were there. Now they're with multiple friends in a 40 gallon. Everyone has their own opinion though.

My 2 fantails are inseparable they HAVE to be with each other at all times. If you could get a small black moor that would probably be best. I find they don't grow as fast and mine like to scavenge the bottom for hours and are totally out of the way. Mine is a bare bottom I found it keeps the water clean and bottom too. I spray painted the bottom black.

I also keep plants to a minimum. I found my goldfish like the space to swim all over and not fumble around the plants. I have a decorative background to make it look pretty instead.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice