Oranda Getting Worse Help

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by lovemyfanciesbut, Apr 12, 2019.

1. lovemyfanciesbutNew MemberMember

I’ve posted a couple times about my Red Cap Oranda.
    She’s getting much worse. Today when I checked on her she was lethargic, not eating & ulcer looks worse! For sure it has to be an ulcer. Also looks to me like her scales on the side of the ulcer are lifted almost looks like dropsy but only on that side.
    From the beginning we used melafix then a whole box of furan-2. Ive removed that medication with carbon that I ziptied to my sponge filter. Today with my daily water change I added extra prime, Aquarium salt and some stress gaurd.
    I really need some help to save this poor baby! I’m thinking a stronger antibiotic and some way of getting her to eat a pea or anything!
    Tank

What is the water volume of the tank?
    20G tall quarantine
    How long has the tank been running?
    Maybe 4-5 weeks
    Does it have a filter?
    Yes, sponge filter
    Does it have a heater?
    Yes
    What is the water temperature?
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
    1 Red Cap Oranda

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water?
    Every day or every other
    How much of the water do you change?
    50 %
    What do you use to treat your water?
    Seacham Prime
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
    I do both
    *Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
    Yes
    What do you use to test the water?
    API Test Kit
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0ppm
    Nitrite: .25-.50ppm
    Nitrate: 10ppm
    pH: 7.8

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish?
    Once a day
    How much do you feed your fish?
    About 10-15 small sinking pellets
    What brand of food do you feed your fish?
    Hikari Fancy Goldfish pellets or Omega One goldfish pellets. Sometimes I’ll give them a mix of them both
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
    No

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish?
    Since the end of January
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
    Have you started any treatment for the illness?
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

2. Addie42Well Known MemberMember

Can you post a picture? Orandas seem to be really sensitive to water quality. Your nitrite indicates the tank isn’t cycled

3. lovemyfanciesbutNew MemberMember

It’s actually I’m hoping at the end of a cycle. My sponge filter was cycled but when I medicated with furan I was misinformed about medications killing good bacteria.

Attached Files:

4. Addie42Well Known MemberMember

that looks pretty bad
    Can you get the kordon meth blue treatment and do a meth blue bath? @stella1979 suggested it to me when I had mystery goldfish issues going on but I couldn’t get it in Canada (and the issues went away when I did HUGE water changes every other day)

5. lovemyfanciesbutNew MemberMember

This was right after I dabbed peroxide on it and it seemed to make it bleed more. I’m not sure if I can I’m gonna look now.

6. lovemyfanciesbutNew MemberMember

I’m headed to a PetStore now. A few of them carry stuff like that.

7. Addie42Well Known MemberMember

make sure not to use it in your tank as meth blue will nuke all your BB

8. lovemyfanciesbutNew MemberMember

No worries that’s the last thing I need right now hopefully there is some sort of directions as to how to do a bath treatment

9. Addie42Well Known MemberMember

Good luck, orandas have given me a lot of trouble. The first one I ever got ended up dying and the fantail lived. The pet store ones seem to almost always carry some WEIRD bacterial stuff. I’m sending good thoughts your way and hoping for the best.

10. lovemyfanciesbutNew MemberMember

Thank you so much I really appreciate it.
    None of the pet stores around me carry this unfortunately

11. FrostedFlakesWell Known MemberMember

If that was after a peroxide dip, the peroxide likely exposed the wound more by removing the top layer of water was covering it. From what I have read, you shouldn't use the peroxide if the wound was less red and a bit pinkish, that means it's healing on its own. Bifuran was a good choice and I am surprised that it didn't work after an entire box. Methylene blue is a good suggestion because it is an antibacterial, and I have seen some have also done salt baths. I am generally not a fan of prolonged salt exposure, so I would recommend a bath because it is for less time and you can get a higher concentration. I have not treated ulcers, but to my knowledge salt can kill off protozoans that may be affecting the fish. If you so choose, the fish can also be kept safely in 1 TEASPOONS per 10 gallons methylene blue, but this will have to be a separate container and I would suggest daily 100% or 75% water changes if you took that route, because the tank will not be cycled. Also if you do this make sure to have an airstone in there. As a disclaimer I am not very experienced when it comes to ulcers, but I just wanted to give a bit of my two cents from what I do know about them. Good luck <3 Methylene blue will typically have to be ordered online. I get mine off of Amazon.

12. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

try the salt bath since the antibacterial didn't work.

13. lovemyfanciesbutNew MemberMember

Thank you all so much for the help.
    She’s gone.
    I got home from getting more salt and meds and she’s past away.
    I appreciate all of ur help and kind words xoxo

14. Addie42Well Known MemberMember

:( that’s awful. I’m really sorry for your loss. You tried what you could! The meth blue wouldn’t have saved her at this point anyways

15. lovemyfanciesbutNew MemberMember

Thank you so much for all your help! Now I have to figure out how to keep her overnight and throughout the day tomorrow until we get home. My son wants to bury her close to the lake behind our house
    :emoji_sob:

16. Nikki2577Well Known MemberMember

This is so sad:( I am sorry for your loss.

17. FrostedFlakesWell Known MemberMember

I am so sorry you lost her :emoji_heartbeat:

18. lovemyfanciesbutNew MemberMember

Thank you so much! :emoji_heartbeat:

19. lovemyfanciesbutNew MemberMember

Thank you so very much!! :emoji_heartbeat: