55 Gallon Tank Oranda gasping/gulping at surface only after eating

MayuriKrab

Hi I have a 3 month old 208L tank with 3 fancy goldfish all under 10cm, the water parameters always tested consistent (Ammonia & Nitrite 0, Nitrate <5, PH 8.0), water temperature is around 24 deg C and the tank has 1 canister filter, 1 jumbo sponge filter and 2 air diffusers/stones.

One Oranda always gasps/gulp at the surface after he has been fed, he would just park himself near the front of the tank and does this for hours, and frequently gets a temporary buoyancy issue where he would float at the time while having trouble swimming down for the remainder of the day, when I check on the tank the next day he will be fine again, swimming normal until he’s fed again and the dam cycle repeats itself.

Thing is, he only does this after eating, If I fast him then he doesn’t do this gasping/gulping thing and instead would act normal for that day.

I have tried several different types of (sinking) pallets (goldfish bug bites, some small tropical pallets and heck even my Betta’s pallet), but the results are the same, also tired peas and gel food, he still does the gasping/gulping thing on every type of food I tired however the aftermath floating seemed less severe with peas or gel food. he was still able to swim down afterwards but you could see he was having some difficulty diving and moving around, vs after eating pallets the floating would be so bad that he basically can’t dive down at all and can only skit around the surface.

Also I might add, he doesn’t seem constipated as when he does poo, he passes his faeces very quickly and it’s always a normal size/coloured, if anything the other 2 fish seem to have more problem with poops hanging on their butt for long periods of time.

At this point I’m out of ideas on what to do next for him, his problem seem to be a combination of food, bad behaviour and some kind of sensitive stomach/swim bladder?

So far I have switched their diet to gel food exclusively and have reduced feeding to just once every 1-2 days so I don’t have to see him gulping and the resulting swimming issue.

Any other ideas?

thanks.

AP1

Is he taking the food from the surface of the water exclusively?

MayuriKrab

Is he taking the food from the surface of the water exclusively?
It’s a mixed bag, with gel food I usually just pinch a small amount and try to drop it under water, but he sometimes gets to it and eats it off my finger before I even drop it off.

As the 2 other fish seems pretty “dumb”, I have to wait for them to swim up to the surface and hand fed them there otherwise this troublesome Oranda would eat most of the food while the other 2 are still munching on each other’s poo… lol

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Tika
Replies
Views
Goldfishgirlgirl
Replies
Views
Heron
  • Question
Replies