Options 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by DanB80TTS, Jul 18, 2015.

1. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

Will be going to petco soon to get 3 amano shrimp if they still have them.
    also might get my final school for my 29g (stock No in my profile)

choices.
    serpae tetra x6
    cherry Barb x8
    neon tetra x10
    cardinal tetra x8

what would your opinions be?
    This will put my right about the limit of stocking on this particular tank.
    looking to add a bit of colour, gourami is a little shy most the time so my tank is a wash of green with all the large leaved plants I have.

2. K

Kwig Well Known Member Member

Serpae tetras are good sized and very eye catching. But cherry barbs are some of my favorite fish. Mine compliment my Kribensis.
    I love Cardinal tetras and Neons, but they're just not that hardy these days. Plus my Kribs would likely eat them, lol.

3. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Are you asking which of the schooling fish I would put in the tank?
    Cardinals wouldn't work, they need warmer water than peppered cories.

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I'd probably do the neons or the cherries. Serpae tetras are semi-aggressive and may not work out in a 29, and Anders mentioned about the cardinals already.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

Yes in a way @Anders247 I suppose I'm really asking if it was your tank what would you go with, at the same time I was kind of testing to see if anybody disagreed with the size of the schools. I do prefer cardinals to neons but cardinals are harder for me to find and neons I can get for $1 a piece from that evil chain store petsmart lol. (My fish from petsmart have always done well as have most of them from petco)

@Dom90 serpae tetras are on there because I should be getting a 55 gallon from somebody on here and 2 serpae tetras are among the fish that come along with, as I won't be able to set the 55 gallons up immediately and the serpae are the ones that need a school I thought about just having those in my 29g
    The other fish included will join my current schools that I already have, I just don't have any friends for the serpaes so I may have to just rehome them.

Just another addition, my wife said no to buying either an extra 10g or getting a 20L from petco :(
    I tried telling her that need one for a hospital tank (that way i could make my current hospital I to another shrimp or a pea puffer tank) this aquarium addiction is a hard one to feed!

6. Dom90

I'd probably wait till you got the 55 to get the serpaes then. You'll probably have to stock more fish once you get it anyway.

7. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

I dont like serpae tetras. I got 6 of them before, 2 died in 2 days, but the whole time I had them all they did was hide in the back of the tank. I ended up taking them back and getting lemon tetras.

Of the fish you mentioned, I would do Cherry Barbs. Make sure to get the proper ratio of male to female, which I think is 1M:3F.

8. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

Just doing a bit of extra reading on the cherry barbs, seems my tank set up is almost perfect for them. How about 1m:2f?

9. Anders247

One male to one female is fine with these fish.

10. K

I have 3 male and 3 female and honestly the males never bug the females or each other. They hang out together but also are secure enough to go off on their own and forage. I kept meaning to grab some more females but they were out, then I kept forgetting. Now that some time has passed I've never had any issues and think I'll stick with the ration I've got.

11. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

I read that their aggression isn't anything to worry about, they will just circle and flare up their fins but generally won't physically attack each other.

12. Anders247

Yep....

13. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

Well my options were actually very limited today, both petsmart and petco only had about 4 cherry barbs at each store and they were all female.
    petco had some neons with really nice colouring for $2.49 so I got 10 neons from petsmart at a dollar per fish, they are a bit pale but I'm hoping they will colour up with time. I'm certain they will feel way safer in my nice planted tank than the barebones tanks at the store.

Also I don't know if this is common knowledge, but petsmart is trying to compete with the 1$/gallon, they have 10g, 20L and 40B.

14. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

I will tell you that about 2 months ago I got 10 neons from PetSmart when they were $1 a piece. 9 of the 10 died within a week and the last 1 schooled with the rasboras that I got to replace them, for another week until it died.

From what I have seen and heard, when stores put the fish on sale like that it is because either they have a ton of them and want to get rid of them before they die, or they are dying fast and want to sell as many of what they have. Translation: They typically dont live long when they are so much cheaper than their normal retail price. If you can get them to live long time, good for you.

15. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

Well if they die within 2 weeks I can get my money back, but I've had good luck with my petsmart, I have some dollar black skirts that are over a year old.

the neons have already coloured up great, real nice dark blue and red, they look great. Time will tell!

16. K

I'm going to disagree with that unless the entire district or region is having issues. But normally they'll just pull that particular fish from the planogram and send out memos for stores not to try and reorder more. Individual stores have no control over pricing and most don't have a whole lot of choice over selection either.
    Neon tetras cost big stores like that pennies on the dollar, so when sales have been low they put them on sale to get people interested. I think that's why the dollar a gallon sale started. I've worked at both of those chains over the years, in 3 different states. Neons are very sensitive. Currently my work gets 50 in a shipment and easily at least 10 die on the trip or soon after. The stock that the chain retailers get just isn't hardy. It's the only reason I don't have Neons and Cardinal tetras.

17. c

csawyer98 New Member Member

Definately don't go with serpas in anything smaller than a 40g. And regardless, keep them in a group of at least 6, I made that mistake, and they took the fins off of one of my Cory Cats. Anything with flowing fins is a definate no-no with them, and keeping them in larger schools will typically keep the fin-nipping within the group.

18. Dom90

Yep serpae tetras are semi-aggressive and are notorious for fin-nipping. They are like the tiger barbs in the tetra group.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

19. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

alink prepare the 'I told you so'
    1 down 9 to go

20. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Wait, Kribs will eat neons? I have 8 neons now and was planning on getting 2 kribs. Thought they were peaceful?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice