Oppressed neon

Vivo

Reaction score
I have 7 neons and one is being oppressed by the other's and made to stay in the back of the tank behind all the plants. I'm concerned it will stress or starve though he does sort try to come out during feeding. I've tried to feed back there, but my other fish are too smart for that. Would it be even more stressful for me to quarantine him until he gets bigger and stronger hopefully or should I let nature happen? I've got 10 harley rasboras also in a 33 gallon tall hex. Suggestions?

FishBoy101

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Vivo said:
I have 7 neons and one is being oppressed by the other's and made to stay in the back of the tank behind all the plants. I'm concerned it will stress or starve though he does sort try to come out during feeding. I've tried to feed back there, but my other fish are too smart for that. Would it be even more stressful for me to quarantine him until he gets bigger and stronger hopefully or should I let nature happen? I've got 10 harley rasboras also in a 33 gallon tall hex. Suggestions?
I would maybe move it to the tall hex and get some more to make a school there.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
I actually think removing and quarantining would cause as much or even more stress as just leaving the little guy where it is while they work it out. When I got my last neons this happened to some of them. It was like they just didn't like each other. I have a school of 17 of them right now. I had 4 and added 13 more all at the same time. A couple of the 13 seemed to have been banned from the group but after a while some others accepted them and before long all of them decided to get along.

I know how painful it is to watch one being what seems to us a being bullied but other than letting it play out I don't know what else to do. I am just happy that my normally peaceful tank is again peaceful.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Spread the food out more, but remember Neon Tetras only actually need 1/2 a flake per day to stay the same bodyweight. I'd crush flake between my fingers and spread a cloud of particles that float down gradually and get eaten.

Have you room for any more. He might get lost in the shoal then and be less likely to be picked on.

Sometimes fish are picked on because the other fish realise it is diseased. Have you noticed any physical problems with the fish other than size. What about shape, marks on skin/fins etc. ?

Hope it resolves.

OP
V

Vivo

Reaction score
FishBoy101 said:
Oh. I would add some more neons then.
That's what I was thinking. 10 neons and 10 harleys. Can't find neons right now though. :(

OP
V

Vivo

Reaction score
mattgirl said:
I actually think removing and quarantining would cause as much or even more stress as just leaving the little guy where it is while they work it out. When I got my last neons this happened to some of them. It was like they just didn't like each other. I have a school of 17 of them right now. I had 4 and added 13 more all at the same time. A couple of the 13 seemed to have been banned from the group but after a while some others accepted them and before long all of them decided to get along.

I know how painful it is to watch one being what seems to us a being bullied but other than letting it play out I don't know what else to do. I am just happy that my normally peaceful tank is again peaceful.
That's all I want! I want peace... I think I'll make an even 10 and see what happens. I 'm hoping to add a couple of center piece fish so I don't want to over stock. Know anything about dwarf gouramis?

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Vivo said:
That's all I want! I want peace... I think I'll make an even 10 and see what happens. I 'm hoping to add a couple of center piece fish so I don't want to over stock. Know anything about dwarf gouramis?
I've never had them. I know some gouramis can get territorial but I don't know about the dwarfs.

RomanNoodles96

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Vivo said:
My dwarf gourami murdered 3 of my neons so I dont think they're a good option (IMO).

OP
V

Vivo

Reaction score
RomanNoodles96 said:
My dwarf gourami murdered 3 of my neons so I dont think they're a good option (IMO).
Oh no! I read they made good tank mates! Could it be because they are males? I'm not going to try either way now, btw. Thanks for sharing.

RomanNoodles96

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Vivo said:
Oh no! I read they made good tank mates! Could it be because they are males? I'm not going to try either way now, btw. Thanks for sharing.
Honey gouramis may be different but the blue powder and orange colored ones were what did it.

OP
V

Vivo

Reaction score
RomanNoodles96 said:
Honey gouramis may be different but the blue powder and orange colored ones were what did it.
Any ideas on a center piece fish that would go with two small schooling fish? A betta?

OP
V

Vivo

Reaction score
RomanNoodles96 said:
I have a female betta and she's good with my amano shrimp, neons, and guppys. Bettas have their own personalities, but I would try one
It's funny you should mention that. I just bought a female betta yesterday. She's in quarantine. I was thinking of putting her in my five gallon, but would love her in my 33 gal. community tank. How long should I quarantine her? She looks do lonely despite plant and stuff.

RomanNoodles96

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Vivo said:
It's funny you should mention that. I just bought a female betta yesterday. She's in quarantine. I was thinking of putting her in my five gallon, but would love her in my 33 gal. community tank. How long should I quarantine her? She looks do lonely despite plant and stuff.
Honestly after my battle with internal parasites I always do a course of general cure just in case in quarantine, and I keep them in quarantine for around 3 weeks. You don't have to, but all it takes is one fish to spread internal parasites into your whole tank.

OP
V

Vivo

Reaction score
RomanNoodles96 said:
Honestly after my battle with internal parasites I always do a course of general cure just in case in quarantine, and I keep them in quarantine for around 3 weeks. You don't have to, but all it takes is one fish to spread internal parasites into your whole tank.
She is in quarantine. Should I medicate her too? I ordered API paraguard, What brand is general cure? Do you know if they do the same thing? Would aquarium salts do anything?

RomanNoodles96

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Vivo said:
She is in quarantine. Should I medicate her too? I ordered API paraguard, What brand is general cure? Do you know if they do the same thing? Would aquarium salts do anything?
Prazi pro and api general cure are the only deworming med I know

OP
V

Vivo

Reaction score
RomanNoodles96 said:
Prazi pro and api general cure are the only deworming med I know
So bettas tend to have worms. I don't want to treat a wide spectrum of stuff? Someone had suggested that with new fish in quarantine.

RomanNoodles96

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Vivo said:
So bettas tend to have worms. I don't want to treat a wide spectrum of stuff? Someone had suggested that with new fish in quarantine.
The whole point of quarantine is so you don't spread anything to the main tank. I only would do deworming meds unless I saw a bacterial disease or fungus develop. You dont have to deworm its just preference. I was talking to someone in another thread and they have never ran into internal worms. Actually, my female betta didn't get dewormed because I didn't quarantine then and she's fine. Its really just a case of what YOU as the fish keeper want to do.

New Threads