Opportunity for free Tanks.. which to choose

PeterFishKeepin

Hi everybody,

I'm friends with a staff member at my school who runs arounds the fish tanks in the sciences rooms. Well since is 'fellow fish keeping partner/teacher' left the school after 40+ years there are too many tanks for him to care for while also being a school teahcer so he has to get rid of some. They were planning on dumbing a lot of them but them i got in touch and was told i could take a tank if i want, there is currently 3 tanks i have my eyes on.

Tank 1: an old turtle tank

Length: 1495cm
Depth: 45cm
Width: 30cm
Volume: 53 Gallons | 201 Litres

Tank 2: an old freshwater eel tank

Length: 91cm
Width: 30cm
Volume: 32.5 Gallons/123 Litres

Tank 3: an old tadpole tank
Length: 91cm
Width: 35cm
Volume: 38 Gallons | 143 Litres

So please..... can you help me with which tank to choose ASAP so i can tell him before he dumps them... and No i cant get all only 1 of them

My No.1 stocking choose would be African Cichlids or South American
my No.2 stocking would just be a bigger community tank then my current setup (20gal/70litres)

I'd like to know which tank would be the best choice.

Also if i need i can do a 5gal/20litre sump or a 20gal/ 70 litre sump or id do canister filter.

Thanks everybody,

Peter :)

V1K

Provided you have space and can get a stand for any of them, I'd take the largest one. I really like that despite being long it isn't tall or wide, so it's as comfortable to maintain and scape as the shorter ones.

Of course, you have to take other things into consideration, like the state of these tanks. If they are not in equally good shape, you may want to pick one that is the least scratched up or the least dirty.

PeterFishKeepin

Provided you have space and can get a stand for any of them, I'd take the largest one. I really like that despite being long it isn't tall or wide, so it's as comfortable to maintain and scape as the shorter ones.

Thanks V1K do you have an opinion on the diamentions in regards to keeping cichlids, is it tall, wide, deep enough to keep them, if i cant get the biggest one would the 38gal tank work with cichlids???

V1K

Thanks V1K do you have an opinion on the diamentions in regards to keeping cichlids, is it tall, wide, deep enough to keep them, if i cant get the biggest one would the 38gal tank work with cichlids???
Depends on the type of the cichlid. There are small species that can live in that volume just fine, and then there are giant ones like oscars that would definitely need the bigger one. You need to google the requirements of each specific fish that you're considering. The way I understand it, the tank length is always preferable to fish than height and width, so yeah, I think it would be good.

GlennO

There's a species to suit just about any sized tank but the bigger the tank the more possibilities there are. Go for the longer one!

PeterFishKeepin

There's a species to suit just about any sized tank but the bigger the tank the more possibilities there are. Go for the longer one!

If you had the longer tank in my options how would you stock it, it doesnt have to be cichlids

GlennO

I'd probably stock it with Australian natives including rainbowfish. I also have a soft spot for New World cichlids, especially the smaller Central American ones. But you have to be prepared to manage aggression issues and possible breeding, even hybridisation.

PeterFishKeepin

I'd probably stock it with Australian natives including rainbowfish. I also have a soft spot for New World cichlids, especially the smaller Central American ones. But you have to be prepared to manage aggression issues and possible breeding, even hybridisation.
Im also interested in rainbows but ive never had a tank suitable which species would u do or reccomend more the tank size.??

GlennO

Im also interested in rainbows but ive never had a tank suitable which species would u do or reccomend more the tank size.??
There are dozens of species from both Australia and New Guinea. Most only get to around 12cm-15cm max which will be ok for the 149cm tank. There are also quite a few dwarf species if you prefer a larger number of smaller fish or if you choose one of the 91cm tanks.

It's really a matter of what's available at your LFS or online when you are ready to stock.

Flyfisha

Of course get the biggest one ,but 1495 mm will not fit across the back seat of a car. Also it will be to big for one person to carry. I can say from personal experience 1200 mm or 4 foot will fit in a medium sized car. And I can just carry one on my own.

Any free tank is a good tank .
Even if completely scratched you could put it outside ?

PeterFishKeepin

Thanks flyfisha I think my mum and dads cars are big enough for it we have a rage boot and we can lay back seats down.

I'll be talking to my parents to see which they will let me bring home

Flyfisha if you had the larger tank how would you stock it?

86 ssinit

Well the first tank is an interesting tank. Will take up some room put it’s not really that heavy full. So there’s a lot of places where it can be put. With the length it would be great for rainbow,corys a smaller type pleco and maybe some angels or rams. Again interesting tank. Looking forward to pics :). Does it come with a stand? If not you could get a old buffet table off of marketplace to hold it. Where’s the turtle going??

PeterFishKeepin

Well the first tank is an interesting tank. Will take up some room put it’s not really that heavy full. So there’s a lot of places where it can be put. With the length it would be great for rainbow,corys a smaller type pleco and maybe some angels or rams. Again interesting tank. Looking forward to pics :). Does it come with a stand? If not you could get a old buffet table off of marketplace to hold it. Where’s the turtle going??
I agree with ur post, it's a cool I guess you can call it, low boy tank. It doesn't come with a stand they just had it on a piece of foam on a science bench top. It's currently empty but it was used from Australia species of turtles.

I might build my own stand firm it with doors and shelves

Flyfisha

My wife and I decided long ago to keep fish that grow to only 10cm / 4 inches or less. We continue to stick to this idea except for BN plecos and Siamese algae eaters. We do also have electric blue acara but that’s a long story.

So in answer to your question regardless of tank size we keep small fish in bigger groups.

SparkyJones

that 53 gallon 201 liter is interesting and unique dimensions. You could do a pea puffer colony in something like that for sure!

PeterFishKeepin

that 53 gallon 201 liter is interesting and unique dimensions. You could do a pea puffer colony in something like that for sure!

Hahahahaha maybe in America not in Australia my friend, 1 pea puffer costs between 200-300$ AUD/140-210USD.!!!!! It's crazy I wish cool idea but as a 15yr old I don't have that kinda money...

86 ssinit

Well with the price of wood I’d look through your selling spots Craigslist,marketplace and OfferUp. People are selling old furniture that was made very strong. Your looking for a 60” buffet. Thing is not many people like buffets so you can get them cheap. I bought a 48” one for $75 with shelves and draws. It’s now holding a 90g tank :).

A201

If you choose tank #1, the old turtle tank, be sure to thoroughly inspect the silicone.
Turtle tanks are often only partially filled with water. Over time the silicone above the water line has the potential to dry out, becoming weaker.

PeterFishKeepin

If you choose tank #1, the old turtle tank, be sure to thoroughly inspect the silicone.
Turtle tanks are often only partially filled with water. Over time the silicone above the water line has the potential to dry out, becoming weaker.
Great point, I'll be filling with water and leave outside for a week to check seal, although il most likely re-silicon it, thanks for the heads up

SparkyJones

Hahahahaha maybe in America not in Australia my friend, 1 pea puffer costs between 200-300$ AUD/140-210USD.!!!!! It's crazy I wish cool idea but as a 15yr old I don't have that kinda money...
Maybe so, but you'd make a killing breeding them I think after recovering the initial investment of course.
That's horrible though, pea puffers run maybe $15 USD (22 AUD) each. top end.

PeterFishKeepin

Maybe so, but you'd make a killing breeding them I think after recovering the initial investment of course.
That's horrible though, pea puffers run maybe $15 USD (22 AUD) each. top end.
Agreed, I've been following a guy who breeds them and sells them for 299 on ebay..... but I've not really done breeding apart from platy and goldfish so I'll start cheaper before risking and going possibly to big..

ProudPapa

I have Lake Kutubu rainbowfish (also called turquoise rainbowfish) and really like them. They're in a 65 gallon tank (36"L x 18"D x 24"T) (91cm x 46cm x 61cm).

SamMe

Some of the new world cichlids are fairly mild tempered if you decide on the larger tank and still want cichlids. My blue acara and my rainbow cichlid are peaceful fish.

BPSabelhaus

The freshwater eel tank could be cool if it comes with the eel / eels.

PeterFishKeepin

The freshwater eel tank could be cool if it comes with the eel / eels.

No unfortuantly all the tanks are empty some have gravel some are just a glass rectangle, so no fish, plants, filters, heaters, lights etc......

And guess what guys .....??

My parents said yes to the free tank/s so lucky me in the up coming days i'll be able to pick them up, im currently in the middle of a school term and wont be allowed to clean it, setup and cycle but will do in school holidays (around 6 weeks from now). So im thinking i'll get the old turtle tank, 53gal/201 litre tank and also the old tadpole tank, 38gal/143 litre tank and most likely setup one and keep the other as a spare.
Im still stuck between these stocking:

American Cichlids:
Electric Blue Acara
Firemouth
Severum

or

African Cichlids:
Malawi mix
or
Mbuna mix

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies