Opions of bowfront tanks?

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all, I was wondering what the pros and the cons are of having a bowfront. I have heard that it can be hard to take pictures of because of glare, is that true? Thanks!

Heron

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Curved glass/ acrylic is perfectly see through to the human eye but if you take flash photos it can have glare. As the tank is well lit you shouldn't need a flash so it's not too big an issue. The other downside of curved glass is it's hard to scrape if algae builds up. I wouldn't be put off though, buy a tank that fits your needs and your space best.

Aquashrimp42

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I haven't noticed any difficulty with that. My main issue is reaching everything as the bow sticks out and some of my tools are not made for curved glass. My breeder box does not sit nicely against the front and my external breeder box simply doesn't fit. unless I put it on the back (I don't get to see my baby fish!). I think it looks very nice with the larger viewing panel. Things aren't distorted in the back as much as if I were to look through diagonally at something.

59753960657__83E923F3-045E-486E-A4B7-0662F569FF80.JPG

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Heron said:
Curved glass/ acrylic is perfectly see through to the human eye but if you take flash photos it can have glare. As the tank is well lit you shouldn't need a flash so it's not too big an issue. The other downside of curved glass is it's hard to scrape if algae builds up. I wouldn't be put off though, buy a tank that fits your needs and your space best.
Quick question, are all tanks going to have a glare unless the tank is well lit? I have a 10 gallon tank with no light yet and it reflects everything.

Aquashrimp42

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I just try to stay away from flash photos in general because the colors get distorted slightly and there is always something in the photo that reflects the light. Having a different source of light is better.

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Aquashrimp42 said:
I just try to stay away from flash photos in general because the colors get distorted slightly and there is always something in the photo that reflects the light. Having a different source of light is better.
I meant that if the tank is well lit, there shouldn't be many reflections right? I mostly have a problem with reflection and not glare.

KribensisLover1

Well Known
Reaction score
I’m so happy you asked this. I was told at Petsmart that bow fronts aren’t ideal bc the fish get confused swimming in the outer space. Now the same salespeople also told me many other things some true some incorrect. And I want a new acrylic with some shape bc I think they look so cool and was planning to ask about bow fronts!

Heron

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have had a bowfront in the past although I don't have it anymore, I also have two spheres and in neither case did the fish act any differently than in regular shaped tanks.
If a tank is well lit then flash photography is unnecessary

OP
AcornTheBetta

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Heron said:
It was going to be a shrimp tank so the algae wont be a big problem, plus I use a sponge to scrape the algae.

New Threads