Opinions?

1. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Hello all!

So I'm setting up a 10g Iwagumi-esque tank (Japanese themed overall) and I'm hunting around for substrate. Normally, in a perfect world, I'd love to do a layered substrate, @tommywantfishy has something that I very much wanted to try, but its really expensive to buy all of these substrates to only use a little bit.

Buying my hardscape, I found this
    Mineralized Topsoil Mineralized Topsoil - $5.00

Any thoughts on it? Its a really awesome price, with good reviews, and 1 bag will fill out a 10g. If not, anyone else have any thoughts for a relatively inexpensive substrate for a fairly medium-high tech tank? (I plan to house one of my bettas in it, as well as a pygmy schooling fish)

Thanks!

2. Piggy50 Initiate Member

I think that the topsoil will be really good to use. I normally use gravel and have never tried topsoil but I think you should give it a try.

3. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Medium high tech? Are you gonna use CO2? I think potting soil is a bit cheaper but that price for mineralized topsoil is just great so I would just get that (mineralized topsoil is also better).

4. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Okay thanks! I think I will use it. :). I'm excited to see how well it works.

And yes to the CO2. I wanted to go for potting soil, but it sorta scares me tbh (I have irrational fears lol :rolleyes: )

5. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I think we all have irrational fears, the price tags on CO2 systems give me panic attacks for example.
    Potting soil should work fine too, but I dont think it is as micronutrient rich as mineralized top soil. Potting soil is used well... for pots because it leaks excess water very fast and it is very easy for delicate seeds to root in. It mainly has macros and contains manure (yummy) I guess that is why it scares you?
    As long as you plant heavily from the start potting soil will not give any problems. You can use fast growing floaters for a few weeks after setting up the tank to aid in the balancing process. But again, I would go with mineralized top soil. I just thought it was worthwile to talk a bit about potting soil so you keep it in mind for future projects.

6. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Sorta. I read about it a lot, and I'm worried about the leeching part and having it just decompose and ammonia pockets lolll. (Manure doesn't scare me hahah. I study veterinary medicine. If I'm afraid of poo, I need a new career choice :p) Idk why. I'm cool with sand and them having pockets if you don't stir it around. It's just something about not aquarium-specific soil leeching or decomposing Lol...I think it's the non-aquarium specific part that gets me now that I realize it.

Lol, and as for CO2 system...I built one! It a nifty reactor from King of DIY. (Poo those fancy schmancy ones...:p)

And thanks for the pro-tip discussion. Very appreciative and grateful :happy:

7. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Citric acid and baking soda with the pressure regulators?

8. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Yup! At least for now...lol during the school year, I was mixing/using calcium carbonate and hydrochloric acid from labs and giving the leftover Calcium chloride over to my uncle for his SW tanks. Lasted for a really long time. But then school ended for the summer...and I had to switch to citric acid and baking soda; so it's a bit of an experiment for me using that combo; but apparently it does last quite long, so I'm pumped for that :)

9. tommywantfishy Well Known Member Member

@ashenwelt helped me rig mine up. Has some cool tips.