Opinions Wanted!

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by Livinginafoxglove, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Livinginafoxglove

Livinginafoxglove New Member Member

Okay so I have decided that I *might* want to add some form of dwarf shrimp to my black and white themed 20 gal tank that holds 3 cory cats, 4 female black lyretail Molly's and 1 Male halfmoon betta (non aggressive)

My first question is will they be able to thrive in this tank with the current inhabitants? I anticipate the possibility of smaller individuals being eaten but would there be other issues?

Second thing is, are there any white or black strains? I've seen the black diamonds before and black bees but are there any other? I've also considered maybe like a midnight/ royal blue.

I've attached a photo of the tank (it just got cleaned and redecorated an hour before photo so sorry for the cloudyness)

If anyone else has suggestions on other shrimp colors that could work let me know!

*this would not be my first time raising dwarf shrimp. I had a very successful red cherry community for more than a year that I lost due to an a-hole of a cat that caused the tank to shatter while I was at work.

Attached Files:

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

You have some stocking issues, I will mention them.

Mollies need a tank of at least 29 gallons, which most people stock mollies in their 29.
    Bettas aren't ideal with mollies, mainly because the mollies or the betta can be aggressive towards the fish, anything is possible.

Judging by the photo, I see albino cory. You ideally should have six of them together, as they do shoal together in a group.
    You are somewhat overstocked with the mollies, they produce tons of waste.

Now, to answer your questions.

1) No, they shouldn't eat each other, they all get about the same size.
    2) Yes, mollies come in many strains, marbled is most common, and many others.

3. OP
    OP
    Livinginafoxglove

Livinginafoxglove New Member Member

Okay thank you. I'll transfer them over to my 40gal then. I did do a little research on Molly's and most sites said 10gal min (,> know how *reliable* the internet could be. I already have several strains in my 40 gal (silver, silver lyretail, balloon and sailfin) I was more asking on shrimp coloration, but again thank you :)
    I'll also look into getting 3 more Cory's at least. I've had the 2 albino for almost 3yrs now and I bet they'd appreciate the extra company :)

4. Kyleena696

Kyleena696 Valued Member Member

The cories shouldn't harm your shrimp. The betta may decide to and I can't really say for the mollies as I've never kept them. As long as your tank is heavily planted you should be able to get a good sized colony going in a few months starting with around ten or so.

Snowball shrimp are white/clear. If you google 'cherry shrimp varieties' and go to images you should find a flowchart like image showing a bunch of different colour strains of cherry shrimp.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice