Opinions wanted

1. freak78

freak78 Well Known Member Member

Ok so I put in the last 2 piece's of driftwood to my tank today. Here are a couple of pic's, here's the original pic.
    Driftwood done small.jpg

Here's the current pic with the 2 piece's added to the left of the tank.
    Driftwwod on left 12-29.jpg

I had to use the old Sony cybershot for the second pic instead of our new Cannon T3i so the picture isn't as good. I think I'm finally content with the current setup. Well at least for awhile.:D

Feel free to critique, criticize or suggest whatever comes to your mind. Thank's in advance.

2. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I think it actually might be a bit much, but that depends on the look you are going for.

3. Ava

Ava Valued Member Member

Looking good! I'm rather partial to all of the wood you have in there. :D I also like all of the open swimming space you have in the middle.

Did you have any plans to add more greenery at all? I'm just thinking maybe a couple of short plants or a little bit of ground cover tucked in and around might highlight the shape of your driftwood pieces a bit more and tie in with the plants you have on the sides. Just a thought.

4. Magoo

Magoo Fishlore VIP Member

5. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

I like all the wood. I also agree you should add more plants

6. OP
    OP
    freak78

I saw an aquarium once with nothing but driftwood and rocks and instantly loved it. So yeah the wood look is what I was going for. And as far as more green goes I may have to add some type of short grass to it. Still haven't decided. That's one of the reason for others input. Sometimes someone else's eye will see something and help with the aquascape.

7. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

I also like the second shot, and agree that low growing plants en mass would be nice.

8. OP
    OP
    freak78

I thought about some live grass of some kind. But I've never ventured into live plants and not sure if I want to.

9. AnthonyC4C

AnthonyC4C Well Known Member Member

looks great, nice job!

10. Ava

Ava Valued Member Member

You don't necessarily have to go live. I go for plastic, personally. If you're like me and like to "rearrange furniture" on a regular basis - plastic is a whole lot simpler and can look just as nice. I found some rather realistic looking "sinker" plants that you can use individually to add a touch of green or if you bury them together you can get that groundcover effect.

Honestly, the combinations you can do with plastic are endless because you don't have to worry about the water chemistry, who is going to overcrowd whom, or what little naughty one might eat them. The size, depth, shape, color, or theme is all up to you. You're just able to have fun with it.

11. p

porkozone New Member Member

I like the overall look a lot.

I would agree that some sort of (very) low and small bits of green in the foreground would help balance it out. Just a bit of green in the middle so the two plants on the ends don't look too symmetrical.

It wouldn't take much at all, though. And I would tend to say to make sure to not place them too centered in the middle. Maybe even a small clump slightly to the left of right of center, or a larger clump slightly to one side of center, and a small clump to the left. I'm not thinking to cover too much of that front area...just adding a splash of color.

I would never think to add that much wood, but I think it works.

12. Ziggi

Ziggi Well Known Member Member

Have you considered attaching maybe a few small pieces of java moss or riccia to some of the pieces of wood? Not alot either, just a pinch for an added effect on the upper branch offs or conjunctions or something. They're low maintenance since you're not used to live, looks good though! I agree, I love the "system" of openings, kinda reminds me of those old castles with the roman columns. (it's a stretch that works in my head :D)

If you were into plants, I'd suggest a small patch of dwarf baby tears or something super small/short since you've got height everywhere else with the plants and the tall branches. I'd put it at the bases of the large branches, i.e. the front corners and maybe a small patch under the upward curve of that big piece that looks like an antler. Maybe if you choose to venture some day :) come to the dark side, we have cookies!

13. OP
    OP
    freak78

Getting some good advice. Another option is taking the green out completely. But I may need the color in it.

14. ILikeFishies

ILikeFishies Valued Member Member

beautiful tank :)

15. OP
    OP
    freak78

Thanks much appreciated.

16. cichlidman

cichlidman Well Known Member Member

i think it looks good the way it is, but i second the addition of java moss or some other plant that gets tied to the wood

17. p

porkozone New Member Member

I think the pop of green is good. And I like it on both ends, it just has a bit of a "bookend" appearance the way it is without any green in the middle. I like the suggestions of a plant the attaches to the wood, but if you didn't want real plants, they have the sections of fake grass or low groundcover that you bury into the substrate. That and/or a small plant in front is all it would take.

18. OP
    OP
    freak78

Yeah the more I think about it something tied to a piece of driftwood would look pretty good. How hard or easy is it to attach moss to driftwood?

19. ILikeFishies

ILikeFishies Valued Member Member

just one question though, why is theresome dark shadow right in the middle at the top of the tank?

20. OP
    OP
    freak78

It's how the lighting came. It's a marineland aquarium kit that I purchased. The lights are LED and for some reason it creates that dark spot in the center when pics are taken. I think the lights should've been longer.