Opinions wanted 110L "wish list"

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by platymum2801, Jul 30, 2015.

1. platymum2801

platymum2801Valued MemberMember

Ok just based on a list of a few of my favourites, here is what I'd like in my new 110L tropical.

I know there's no way I can have all of these and I'm not suggesting it, so I'd like opinions on which of the ones I like and how many & what sex of each would be most suited as tank mates.

I already have two danios and three female platy which will be moved to this tank once cycled. Of the platys, there are none I believe will have fry as they haven't after a month of coming home from the pet shop with me and although I thought two might have been pregnant in the first week I now think they were just over fed.

So..

Platy - 3 (female)
    Danio - 2 (sex unknown, best buddies)

Dwarf gourami - 2 (male & female)?
    Bolivian Rams -2 (male & female)?
    Guppies - 5 (2 male 3 female)?
    Cherry barbs
    Green tiger barbs
    Green fire tetras
    Glowlight tetras
    Emperor tetras
    Panda corys
    Ghost, blue or cherry shrimps

I'm a newbie so don't know a lot about each individual species but I've done a lot of research so have some basic knowledge just no experience with any of these fish other than my platys and danios.

Basically I just can't decide! Help!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I would up the number of danios to 6 - they're schooling fish and do better in groups of 6+.

Wouldn't recommend more than 1 dwarf gourami - most in the LFS and pet store chains are male, and 2 males wouldn't do well together in that small of a tank.

Rams require warmer water, around 80-82 F. Danios and panda cories require cooler water (no warmer than 77 F). The Rams aren't a great idea for your tank for this reason.

Guppies would be fine with all of the other fish, as would the cherry barbs and tetras.

Cories, tetras, and barbs would do better in groups of 6+ (all are either schooling or shoaling).

For a 29 gal, you could do 6 panda cories, 6 danios, 3 platies, and maybe a few guppies, a DG, or one school of one of the others? You could do a larger school if you got rid of the platies - they have a high bioload.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  3. tyguy7760

tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

danio's are schooling fish so you'll want to up their number to 5 or 6

dwarf gourami- you are going to have a hard time finding a female probably. Most LFS do not carry them and putting two males together is not advisable. Females do not have the same pretty colors as males. They are fine as a single gourami though. Also you could consider honey gourami

BR's- I'd probably go with just 1 and not 2 if you decide to go with them. Very hard to sex and even if you pick out a male and female that doesn't mean they will get along and pair off. The best way to pair these fish is to buy a male and like 4 females and wait until he chooses. You may not have the room to do this. But they are fine being by themselves. But if you are keeping your danios, you won't want rams as they require warmer water.

Guppies- either do all male or be prepared for a ton of babies.

Cherry Barbs- love these fish. Colorful, active, and peaceful. Very hardy as well

Green Tiger Barbs-aggressive and fin nippers. You will need a large school to spread out the aggression and 110 L may be pushing it
    tetras in general are all fine. there are some that are more aggressive than others.

Cory's- If you get rams you will be limited to warm water cories like aeneus and sterbai.

Shrimp are fine but the rams may eat them

edit:ninjad

4. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I assume you mean no warmer...?

5. TexasDomer

Yes, sorry! Edited.

6. OP
    OP
    platymum2801

Ok.. So that's looking great to be honest. Better than I'd hoped. Thank you. Glad your comments are similar as far as the Rams, I was most unsure of those and the green tiger barbs. My LFSs do stock female dwarf gourami and they are lovely but if a male really would do well on his own that's good, I don't want to push my numbers too far. I've read a lot of conflicting opinions on the gourami as far as numbers and sex to keep. I was hoping not to add more danios to be honest but so far all research and advice would suggest I should. As far as guppies, I'd happily have all male, what's the best number for all male guppies? Will be really hard to choose a school between the barbs & tetras! They're all so beautiful.

Just so I'm sure, do your comments suggest that I could have

Male dwarf gourami
    3 platy
    Male guppies
    Danio school
    Another school (cherry barbs or tetras)
    6 panda cory?

7. tyguy7760

Danio's plus guppies plus platy's may be a bit much for the top. Plus they would be up there with the gourami as well. I would think you may want to choose 2 of those 3. platy's and guppies are heavy on the bioload.

If it were me (personal preference here) I would do guppies and danios. I think 3 or 4 male guppies would be a good number. But wait for other opinions

8. TexasDomer

That's a little overstocked in my opinion. I would do either the DG, guppies, or a school of tetras/cherry barbs. If you rehomed the platies or gave them back to the store, you could do a DG or guppies and a school of tetras/cherry barbs I would think.

In reference to tyguy's post, I think 3 or 4 males would be fine too.

If it were mine, I would do this:
    Rehome platies
    x6 Danios
    x6 Cories
    x8 Tetras/Cherry Barbs

9. OP
    OP
    platymum2801

Ahh so hard, the platies and danios were a gift for my daughter from grandparents. I personally love the platies to bits but would do without the danios, but obviously being the little ones, I don't think I can do away with any of them without being the worst mum ever haha.

If it was just my tank, started from scratch, I'd probably have gone with a gourami, 4 or 5 guppies, 6 cherry barbs or tetras, and 6 panda corys?

The platies and danios are what are making me so indecisive I think!!

10. TexasDomer

If you want to keep the platies, you could do this:
    x6 Danios
    x3 Platies
    x6 Cories
    x1 DG OR 3-4 guppies

11. tyguy7760

I personally think that if you did away with the danios, the guppies and platies would be fine

So you could do

3 Platy
    3 Guppy
    6-8 Cherry Barb/tetra
    6 Cory

What are the dimensions of your tank?

12. TexasDomer

But she can't get rid of the Danios since they were a gift from the grandparents.

In a larger school, Danios are very active and fun to watch!

13. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I agree with TexasDomer's stocking idea from post #10.

14. tyguy7760

Same problem with the platies

15. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Post #10 has the Danios and the Platies, and I'd just add a DG and that would be good. Or a school of cooler water cories.

16. OP
    OP
    platymum2801

Yeah I think my little one would be happier with that and I'd get two of my favourites..! I think I am 100% on the gourami to be honest, that's the one that I always have on my list now however I do it. I would also 100% like some bottom feeders. I considered one bristlenose plec but I'd rather have a bunch of little guys down there, any better ideas than the panda corys?

17. tyguy7760

Ahh yeah I think texasdomer has it on post 10. You pretty much just need to choose between the DG or the guppies.

There are a bunch of different cories you can do. You don't have much of a temp restriction

Another option for bottom feeders would be kuhli loaches.

18. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

You can do peppered cories or false julii cories... I wouldnt get a BN pleco in your case because your platies are already a high bioload.

19. OP
    OP
    platymum2801

I have a Juwel 800, 110l, think its 81cm wide and 45cm tall?

20. OP
    OP
    platymum2801

Could I do #10 and add a couple more female platies? I have all orange and black and I've seen some beautiful silvery bluey ones in my LFS. So it would be

x1 DG
    x5 Platies
    x6 Danios
    x6 Cory

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice