Opinions/questions About Filtration And Stocking Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by CUZ, Aug 25, 2019.

1. CUZ

CUZNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Can i use a 105gph canister filter that was from my 10gallons in a 55gallon with THE SAME STOCKING?

I have 1 betta, 2 albino corys, 5 cardinal tetras and 1 apple snail.

I will get in the future a 528gallons/hour canister filter when i add more fish. I am planing in adding 7 more cardinals, 2 more albino corys, 1 dwarf gourami, 4 small mollys, 4 amano shrimp and 1 otocinclus. My betta is really peacefull and dosent care about other fish.

Another question: can you use a 528gph filter in a 75gallon tank with 1 Oscar?

2. ystrout

ystroutWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +751
    Experience:
    4 years
    Yes to all questions.

You can definitely use the same filter if you upgrade to a 55G tank with the same stocking. The tank will stay cycled. But even though the tank will stay cycled, you may notice the filter isn't doing a great job keeping the tank clean. If that's the case, upgrade get a second filter.

528 GPH works for a 75G. My 75G tank has an Aquatop Forza FZ9 with 450 GPH, and it creates a perfect amount of water flow in the tank and does a great job keeping the tank clean and cycled. I never trimmed the filter's hoses so there's some slack, so I'm guessing I've lost about 100 gph or so of flow. But with 350GPH, it still does a great job and I could add a lot more filtration before there's too much current. I mean, my puffer fish who is a terribly uncoordinated swimmer does fine with the amount of current my tank has.

Be careful about putting gouramis and bettas together. It's similar to putting two bettas together. My gourami is a very sweet, friendly fish. He's very interactive with people and is friends with my puffer fish. But he can get aggressive to fish that annoy him. He doesn't like my pearl danios and will charge them if they annoy him by swimming too spastically near his plants. I imagine a betta and the gourami would have some issues.

3. StarGirl15

StarGirl15Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +287
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You can. When you get the new one Run both for 2 -3 weeks before taking the smaller one out. You can seed some piece of media to help the new filter. I wouldn't add any fish for that 2- 3 weeks either. Then gradually add them not all at once!

4. Faytaya

FaytayaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    Just started
    From what I know, when you choose a filter the general rule is to double the water turnover in any tank you have, so if you have a 30 gallon, you choose a filter that turns 60 in an hour. A 105gph for a 55 isn't exactly double as suggested, but if you're running the same stocking, you should be fine. The trouble starts when you add more fish. The more fish you have, the more filtration you need. Having a 528gph filter in your tank would be fine...if you were purposefully overstocked and have a selection of fish that need high flow. Your betta definitely will not be able to tolerate that much flow. A 120gph would be ideal in my humble opinion, sans overstocking. I don't know anything about Oscar's, so I hope someone who does can answer that question.

5. OP
    OP
    CUZ

CUZNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you. Yes about the betta and the gourami i think that might be a problem i just thought they would be pretty comfortable in a 55gallon tank.
    So would you recommend a 75gallon tank before a 55gallon tank? I really want an oscar in the future and i know 55gallons is small for them.

6. StarGirl15

StarGirl15Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +287
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    If you don't have either yet... go for the 75 if you want a oscar someday!

7. OP
    OP
    CUZ

CUZNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you. About the flow i fixed it by putting a riccia in-front of the filter flow

Attached Files:

8. OP
    OP
    CUZ

CUZNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Yes they offered me both very cheap. Glass 8mm but without the led light and canister filter. Thank you for your opinion i will get the 75gallon

9. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,200
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I would say the answer to using the small canister filter in the larger tank is a definite no. The filter will not move enough water thru the filter to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels at 0ppm. The ammonia and nitrite get converted by the bacteria as the water flows thru the filter media. With a canister filter you want 8x the tank volume per hour.

No if you put the filter media front the small canister into an appropriate size filter, you would get an instant cycle so long as you didn't add any more fish, since your bacteria colony would be large enough to handle the amount of ammonia and nitrite being produced

10. ystrout

ystroutWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +751
    Experience:
    4 years
    Absolutely get the 75G first. If you aren't ready for the Oscar or want to move the small fish first, put them in the 75G until you get a second tank. Then you can move the fish and get the Oscar. The price difference between the 55 and 75 (including tank, substrate/décor, and difference in price of the larger filter and heater) won't be that much. When I was pricing it all out, I think I spent an extra $150 by getting the 75G and all the larger equipment that it required.

And in all honestly, you may end up getting two 75Gs if you start with the 75G.The extra 6 inches of width makes scaping it way easier and the fish really enjoy the extra footprint room. And if you can fit a 55G, chances are you can fit a 75G. The only difference is 6 inches of width.