Opinions, please?

Je55*e

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I am wanting to change my co2 system. I have the Red Sea bio generator (), and I'm not always happy with it.
Which of these two products seems better?
(Check my info., but I have a 20g long planted tank with eco-complete substrate and high lighting.)

Last edited:

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What is it about the system that you dont like? Im sure that would help someone with experience with each of the systems tell you what would be best for you specifically. I know most people opt for the DIY two liter bottle method (as did I) because not only is it cheap but it also gives you a lot of flexibility to suite it best to your tank.

Je55*e

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I basically do DIY (with the mix, anyway), just using the canister the system came with. Sometimes the generator just refuses to work, and I don't have any leaks. I've checked multiple times and even put silicone (aquarium safe) around where the tubing connects just to be sure. I know there are no holes in the tubing, either. I suppose I need to learn more about DIY and how to go about it.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There's a heap of threads in the DIY section on CO2 generators, as well as some recipes etc.

Nutter (our resident plant expert) suggested to me the following:
- 2 litre generator
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1/2 tspn yeast
- approx 1.7 litre of luke warm water (enough that the water level is 2" below airline)

I also have the Red Sea kit, and as it is only a 1 litre generator, simply halve everything above.

Cover hole, shake vigorously for a few minutes, attach air line. Should take about 24hrs to 'activate', maybe longer depending on environment (e.g. room temp etc)

Last edited:

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I almost wonder if the mix had gone bad and that may have caused troubles, It is pretty weird to get any kind of problem not related to leaks in the system. Also I might be mistaken but I think that the container in the red sea system is less than two liters which will cause the alcohol to build up quicker in the system and your yeast will die off quicker, but I dont think that would have any affect on the system starting up. Maybe try using your own mix of yeast and sugar to see if that is the problem. I use 1 cup of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of yeast in my two liter system, idk if you should use less in a smaller container though.

Je55*e

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I do use my own mix of sugar, yeast and water. I replace it every month or whenever it stops going.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ooooh, ok, I think I was a little confused on what the problem was. If it randomly just stops working I would make sure that you stir the heck out of the bottle when you first mix it and maybe try to move up to a larger container, Im not sure if buying a new system would have much of an affect on that kind of problem. The red sea system has a motorized diffuser right? Do you think that when the reactor starts to slow down, perhaps the diffuser is simply chopping up the bubbles small enough that you cant see them before it even exits the pump? You can put a bubble counter into the airline just to double check if any CO2 is moving through the system.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There's a heap of threads in the DIY section on CO2 generators, as well as some recipes etc.

Nutter (our resident plant expert) suggested to me the following:
- 2 litre generator
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 tspn yeast
- 1 litre of luke warm water

I also have the Red Sea kit, and as it is only a 1 litre generator, simply halve everything above.

Cover hole, shake vigorously for a few minutes, attach air line. Should take about 24hrs to 'activate', maybe longer depending on environment (e.g. room temp etc)
That shoud be 1/2 teaspoon of yeast & enough water to fill to about 2" from bottom of air line in the generator.

Sorry Ryan, I thought I better correct that before people start firing PM's at me wondering why I use so much yeast & so little water.

Did you halve the measurements you have given above or did you just make a mistake in your post? If the above measurments are what you used, you will have high co2 production but not for very long.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That shoud be 1/2 teaspoon of yeast & enough water to fill to about 2" from bottom of air line in the generator.

Sorry Ryan, I thought I better correct that before people start firing PM's at me wondering why I use so much yeast & so little water.

Did you halve the measurements you have given above or did you just make a mistake in your post? If the above measurments are what you used, you will have high co2 production but not for very long.
I actually haven't changed out the original mix yet.

Yes I did make a mistake <sorry>, it's too early, brain not working yet.

To the OP - sorry for the confusion.

[edit] I have now corrected the recipe above to reduce any further confusions.

Last edited:

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes I did make a mistake <sorry>, it's too early, brain not working yet.
Coffee is your friend. ;D It certainly is mine. Doesn't always seem to get the brain in gear though & the missus will tell you I don't have a brain so it can't be in gear.

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
For my 20G I use 2- 2 litre bottles and alternate swapping one out each week. Start with one, the next week make another and then alternate each week from there. This is the best way to keep a stable Co2 level with DIY Co2. Otherwise you may be inviting algae and stunted plant growth. Waiting until they stop working isn't a good thing. I use 1/4 tsp. of yeast- 2 cups sugar- Less sugar makes it last longer but also has less Co2 production. 1/4 tsp. seems to work well for my sytem but you can play with the amounts to nail down what works for you.
I have experimented with adding 1/4 tsp baking soda to stabilize Ph but it didnt seem to make a difference with or without it. I haven't gotten into using juice or jello or some of the other gimmicky ideas floating around out there.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom