opinions please best filter for 125 gallon tank

1. stanzi Initiate Member

I want to upgrade to a 125 gallon tank. What do yall think is the best canister filter on the market today?

Thanks
    (I guess you know I'm from the south):;dogrun

2. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Stanzi, welcome to fishlore :;hi2

I don't know exactly what sore of answer you're after. One of the best canisters IMO is Eheim, but it really depends on budget. I also own a Fluval, and was quite happy with it (upgraded to Eheim and now swear by them).

Eheim's are at the high end of the price scale
    Fluval are a good solid mid-higher priced canister.
    I've read some very good reviews on the SunSuns (sp, I think that's right) that are a lot cheaper.
    Aqua-One have some solid filters available too.

I guess it comes down to budget ???

EDIT: I will add though, with a canister, aim for something that will turn over your water at least 6-8 times per hour (depending on stocking), I have a 500 litre/hour canister on a 70L tank = giving me 7x turnover per hour. For a 125, I'd suggest at least 750 Gallons per hour, preferably more, and I think you'll find most recommend putting two canisters on a 125, probably 2 x 500GPH ???

3. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

i have an eheim classic on my 75, and i've been really happy with it. it's easy to use, once you get the hang of it. and the instructions are useless. you'll have to go online to get help! i also have a huge fluval FX5 canister on my 150, and it's only been running for about a month, but i've been happy with its performance. on a 125 it would work very well. it is very pricey...i got mine on mega sale though. hope this helps =]

welcome to the land of fishlore :)

4. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Fluval

Ive been running the FX5 on my 125g since May 2010. I have been very happy with it, no issues.

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to the forum

I run 2 canisters on all of my 4+ foot tanks - I think it's the best setup. Obviously :) The fish love the circular flow in the tank and I love that it keeps the tank free of waste.

I have an xp4 and a CF-500 on my 125, totaling almost 1000 gph. There are 12 boxes of ceramic media in them - 8 boxes of biomax and 4 boxes of ceramic prefilters, in addition to the mechanical media.

If you are on a budget, the Aquatop CF series is fantastic. I bought mine on ebay, for a bit cheaper. I have 4 of them, and like them all. The rena XP series is my favorite (Have 4 of them as well), but they cost a lot more.

6. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

ps. some of us say y'all here in the north :p

7. stanzi Initiate Member

thanks yall, I love the feed-back. Those were the filters I was considering. I have a 45 gal. tank now. I 'm sucked in to the fish thing. I love my green barb tank, but I've been wanting some balas and frankly I understand their need for space.

8. stanzi Initiate Member

I'm seriously considering the Eheim 2075 Pro 3 Filter after much research any experience or opinions on that?

Thanks

9. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Stanzi - I haven't used the Pro 3 series, but have a Pro 2222

I don't think you'll be disappointed with an Eheim filter.

10. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

:animal0068:I have moved your thread from Polls to Freshwater Tank Equipment/Filters and Filtration section of the forum.

To submit a thread into the Polls section, a Poll must be created for members to cast a vote or make a selection from options given.

Creating a Poll:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/polls/78022-how-post-poll.html

Thanks!

Ken

11. Squirtle =) Member Member

I too would go with an fluval or eheim, I don't notice much difference between the 2 so normally what ever is on sale I get but happy with them all. I have to say when choosing an eheim try to stick to the classics, when I first went to get a canister I read a fair bit and seems the classics will last longer and theres very few issues with them, the only down side is you cant press a button to prime the tank but thats an easy job ;)

12. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

The Classics are great, I had one until I upgraded to the Pro. The biggest difference between Classic and the Pro canister is the use of media trays. The Classic doesn't have media trays, so it makes it a little more frustrating to maintain. The Pro is a bit easier as you can pull the media trays and get to the pre-filter and coarse sponge quite easily.

I've also owned a Fluval, and had no issues with it. I wasn't particularly impressed with the internal layout of the filter (just personal opinion), but it was very easy to maintain, and the priming thing is a bonus.

13. tommy jr. Member Member

14. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

I have a Rena XP3 with a AC500 on my 125G tank. I have a new fav with the Rena. Holds tons of media and keeps the water polished. Added the AC500 because I needed more circulation and wanted a 2nd filter in case one happened to go out. I believe it is best to have multiple filters on every tank. That way it isn't an all or nothing thing if the filter goes out. I also add sponge filters to my tanks to ensure I have enough bacterial media available.

Definitely strive for the higher turnover, if you can afford it! Once full of media, filters move less water, so it's best to aim high.

15. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

My favorite filters of all times are the Wet/Dry. I'm currently running an Eshopps Wet/Dry on my 33g tank and a SeaView Wet/Dry on my 265g. (The Seaview I've been using for almost 15 years and may not be in production any longer).

I would recommend an Eshopps Wet/Dry powered by a Mag Drive 950 (gph) for your 125g tank. I used this same set up (but the SeaVeiw) on my 155g tank for many years, stocked with large fish and it did and does a fantastic job! This one is currently on my 265g tank along with additional filtration.

Eshopps:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/eshopps-wd-200cs-wet-dry-filter
    The maximum flow for this filter is 1000gph so I would suggest the Mag Drive Pump 950 below:
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/mag-drive-950-pump-10ft-cord

Ken

16. Reefdweller Well Known Member Member

I still swear by the Fluval 406. This thing has my 75 gallon water so crystal clear. I love all the trays that hold what ever load you want. Also, I love the spray bar attachment for circulation. I have never owned a eheim so I can not comment on them however I know a lot of people on here like those. I am fixing up a 50 gallon that I bought and will be buying one of the 2 for it. With the 75 gallon I have I run a eshopps wet/dry and the Fluval 406 so I would for sure go with 2 filters on the 125. However now that I think about it with my 125 SW I use to have I only ran a wet/dry on it and it performed well for the tank. If I was setting up a 125 now I would just go with 2 canister filters and I am sure this would be more than enough for what you need.

:;toast