Opinions on water change vs NovAqua+ for ammonia

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by cajunfiberco, Mar 17, 2010.

1. cajunfiberco

cajunfiberco Well Known Member Member

So if there is an ammonia problem with fish in the tank, what is better, daily water changes or daily NovAqua+? Or some combo of both? ???

2. bassbonediva

bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

I vote water changes, but that's because I know nothing about NovAqua+ and don't know anyone who uses it. I'm always a little leary of using anything chemical when just a little leg work or elbow grease can get the job done just as well (have had some bad experiences with pH balancers before I knew better as well as algae destroyer stuff...before I knew better).

3. kcarmartinez

kcarmartinez Valued Member Member

I think Both. Daily water changes with an ammonia blocker until the problem is resolved. Unless a water change alone can take out all the ammonia. (I am assuming NovAqua+ is like Ammolock or Prime).

4. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Nova Aqua + does not detox ammonia. It adds body slime and removes chlorine and chloramines. I have it and I use in addition to Amquel + which I would use for detoxing ammonia.

Nothing is better for your fish than water changes. Please don't substitute them with chemicals.

If you're having ammonia issues then daily water changes is necessary. You can use Prime or Amquel + to detox the ammonia for 24 hours until it's time for your next water change.
    Best wishes!
    Ken

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  5. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Ditto! :party0031:

6. OP
    OP
    cajunfiberco

UGH I'm sorry guys I really meant Amquel+ not NovAqua. I'm always mixing the two names up

So water change vs amquel+

Alrighty then, daily water changes with amquel :)

7. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

For me the way I look at it is adding any unnecissary chemical is risky. If you can fix a problem with a little more work and not use it then why wouldn't you? The only "chemical" I use on a regular basis to water conditioner. But that's just my two cents.

8. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, water changes with Amquel + daily until you get the ammonia situation under control.
    Ken

9. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with Ken. The water changes are necessary, and will remove some ammonia but not all of it. The detoxifier will make the ammonia not as dangerous for the fish until the next water change.
    Good luck. :)

10. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Nothing replaces a good water change. Water Conditioners that detox ammonia (like prime and aqumel+) are like a band-aid, they cover the wound and make it feel better, but don't fix the problem. You'll still need Water Changes for that.

11. OP
    OP
    cajunfiberco

Gotcha ;) If just daily water changes would fix it, I would just use that. But the ammonia level is a bit high in my 5 gal so I think the Amquel is a must right now, plus the WC.

I just changed all the tanks, as they all have ammonia readings.

I also found a great way to heat a 5 gallon jug of RO water... stick it outside in the sun until it's just right! lol

12. Etcetera

Etcetera Valued Member Member

If you're using RO water, you will need to use buffering agents like Kent's R/O Right or Seachem Equilibrium--don't forget about that. :)

And you definitely need to do 100% water changes to remove ammonia--since the ammonia is coming from your fish and not from the water (given that it's RO water) you should definitely should consider some live plants and increasing the frequency of your water changes until the tanks are able to complete the nitrogen cycle.

13. OP
    OP
    cajunfiberco

I am using buffering agents :) So I have that covered.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice