Opinions on this stocking plan?

Kendle

I have a 20 gallon tank cycling right now and I’m really excited to be able to have more fish than I did in my 10g once it is established but of course I don’t want to overdo it. Here’s my current idea:
6 Panda corys
5 Cherry barbs
1 male Swordtail
1 honey Gourami
1 mystery snail
I have an Aqueon Quietflow 20, I’m ok with doing 20-30% water changes weekly if needed. How does this sound, considering space but mainly bioload? Aqadivsor puts this at 75% stocking level and barely adequate filtration capacity, but I know this isn’t 100% reliable.

AcornTheBetta

I have a 20 gallon tank cycling right now and I’m really excited to be able to have more fish than I did in my 10g once it is established but of course I don’t want to overdo it. Here’s my current idea:
5 Panda corys
5 Cherry barbs
1 male Swordtail
1 honey Gourami
1 mystery snail
I have an Aqueon Quietflow 20, I’m ok with doing 20-30% water changes weekly if needed. How does this sound, considering space but mainly bioload?
I would lose the swordtail and add one or two more of both the pandas and the cherry barbs. What temp is this tank going to be kept at? What is your substrate? I would do 50% water change each week.

Upvote 0

Mosko

Sounds good to me. I think that's perfect especially if u plan on doing 20-30% water change every week.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

Sounds good to me. I think that's perfect especially if u plan on doing 20-30% water change every week. I suggest to go to Aqadvisor.com enter the info of you tank and stock and see what it suggests.
Do NOT use Aquadvisor.com. A lot of the time they give you false into. There were members on here who got millions of oscars in a 10g and Aquadvisor said that it was fine. They have improved a bit with warnings on tank size and aggression, but I would still not trust them.

That’s a big water change to be doing weekly. Tank is 78°F without a heater, I’ll get one if needed. Substrate is sand.
Lol I meant 40%. My bad. Sounds good if you increase the pandas and cherry barbs. I don't think that the swordtail will do well on it's own. Is this tank an upgrade from 10g or a completely new setup?

Upvote 0

Kendle

I would lose the swordtail and add one or two more of both the pandas and the cherry barbs. What temp is this tank going to be kept at? What is your substrate? I would do 50% water change each week.
That’s a big water change to be doing weekly. Tank is 78°F without a heater, I’ll get one if needed. Substrate is sand.

Upvote 0

Coradee

Do NOT use Aquadvisor.com. A lot of the time they give you false into. There were members on here who got millions of oscars in a 10g and Aquadvisor said that it was fine. They have improved a bit with warnings on tank size and aggression, but I would still not trust them.
Whilst I’d agree not to rely on only one tool when considering stocking let’s not have wild over exaggerations

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

Whilst I’d agree not to rely on only one tool when considering stocking let’s not have wild over exaggerations
I agree. You can turn to it, but I should not be the only tool used.

Upvote 0

Algonquin

I agree on dropping the swordtail, but I would consider adding a 2nd or 3rd Honey Gourami, rather than upping the barbs & corys. The Honey would appreciate a friend or two.
I haven't had barbs, but would wonder if they might be a bit on the snippy side with a more mellow honey gourami? Someone with barbs could tell you that tho
I do a 50% wc on my 20 gallon each week, I dont' think that's too big. Especially if your tank is likely to be 'fully stocked', which it sounds like it will be.

Upvote 0

Kendle

Lol I meant 40%. My bad. Sounds good if you increase the pandas and cherry barbs. I don't think that the swordtail will do well on it's own. Is this tank an upgrade from 10g or a completely new setup?
Noted, and it’s a completely new set up. The 10g had a suspected mycobacteriosis outbreak so I cannot transfer any fish over sadly. Also I read on several sites that a male swordtail would do fine alone and multiple males may fight. I don’t want a female because I don’t want any fry.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

Noted, and it’s a completely new set up. The 10g had a suspected mycobacteriosis outbreak so I cannot transfer any fish over sadly. Also I read on several sites that a male swordtail would do fine alone and multiple males may fight. I don’t want a female because I don’t want any fry.
I would just not have the swordtail because they do better in groups. They will become sad and withdrawn if kept alone.

Upvote 0

Kendle

I agree on dropping the swordtail, but I would consider adding a 2nd or 3rd Honey Gourami, rather than upping the barbs & corys. The Honey would appreciate a friend or two.
I haven't had barbs, but would wonder if they might be a bit on the snippy side with a more mellow honey gourami? Someone with barbs could tell you that tho
I do a 50% wc on my 20 gallon each week, I dont' think that's too big. Especially if your tank is likely to be 'fully stocked', which it sounds like it will be.
From what I’ve read they should do fine as long as I have a big enough group of barbs. I will likely add another gourami if I drop the swordtail

Upvote 0

RayClem

The problem with a single swordtail is that you really need to keep several as they are shoaling fish. It you had platys in the tank, you would be OK, but you have no other livebearers.

Cherry barbs do great in a shoal of about eight, so you might consider adding a few more. I have eight of them in a 20 gallon long with a shoal of guppies, a few corys, a BN pleco, a mystery snail and a Nerite snail.

Upvote 0

Kendle

The problem with a single swordtail is that you really need to keep several as they are shoaling fish. It you had platys in the tank, you would be OK, but you have no other livebearers.

Cherry barbs do great in a shoal of about eight, so you might consider adding a few more. I have eight of them in a 20 gallon long with a shoal of guppies, a few corys, a BN pleco, a mystery snail and a Nerite snail.
Would it help to add a molly since they are also livebearers but supposedly cant breed with the sword?

Upvote 0

RayClem

Would it help to add a molly since they are also livebearers but supposedly cant breed with the sword?

In order to keep shoaling fish comfortable they need to be with similar fish. Swordtails and mollies are quite different, so they will not shoal together. Swordtails are closely related to platys, so they will shoal if there are not enough of their own species. Likewise, guppies might shoal with mollies since they are related.

If your fear is that livebearers will have babies, it is best to keep all males or all females. Guppies, mollies, platys, and swordtails are prolific, so if you have a mix of males and females, they are likely to reproduce.

Upvote 0

Kendle

In order to keep shoaling fish comfortable they need to be with similar fish. Swordtails and mollies are quite different, so they will not shoal together. Swordtails are closely related to platys, so they will shoal if there are not enough of their own species. Likewise, guppies might shoal with mollies since they are related.

If your fear is that livebearers will have babies, it is best to keep all males or all females. Guppies, mollies, platys, and swordtails are prolific, so if you have a mix of males and females, they are likely to reproduce.
Ok I would like to keep all males but multiple male swordtails with no females will fight from what I’ve read, and if I got females there’s a chance they could already be pregnant. I may just have to not get one

Upvote 0

RayClem

Ok I would like to keep all males but multiple male swordtails with no females will fight from what I’ve read, and if I got females there’s a chance they could already be pregnant. I may just have to not get one

In a community aquarium, there is a significant probability that most of the fry will be consumed by other residents of the tank. I had three female platys in heavily planted 55 gallon tank with lots of hiding spots. They gave birth at different times, but so far I have seen only 1 surviving fry from each litter. There may be more in hiding, but that is all I have seen so far. The serpae tetras in the tank recognize when the female is about to give birth and lie in ambush.

I am not really trying to breed them, but it would be nice to have a self-sustaining population. Livebearers have shorter livespans than many egglayers. Guppies live about two years, platys live about three and mollies and swordtails can live up to five years.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Tankseeker
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
Josh752