Opinions on this idea for stocking 29 Gallon Tank 

timmy454

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hello everyone! I am a new member to the forum (although I have been reading it for months) and I have a question. I bought an Aqueon 29 gallon aquarium kit from Petco almost a half year ago, and I finally got enough time and money to set it up . Right now it is cycling. (I just started, so it will be awhile before I actually start to stock it...) And I have to plant it yet... After doing some research, I think that I finally found a combination of fish that will work with each other and with my tank. The list is as follows:
6 Serpae tetras
4 Zebra (or maybe Pearl) Danios
2 Bolivian Rams (1 male and 1 female)
6 Pygmy corydoras

I already have 2 Serpae tetras right now in a 5.5 gallon tank of mine (which is desperately overstocked [due to my mother, lol]), so I absolutely have to include Serpae tetras in my 29 gallon tank. And I was thinking of *maybe* getting 4 Pygmy corydoras and 2 Otocinclus cats instead of 6 Pygmy corydoras. And I know that this stocking is breaking the "one inch of fish per gallon" rule of thumb (by about 4.2 inches of fish--or 5.8 inches of fish if I would switch 2 of the Pygmy corydoras with 2 Otocinclus cats), but I do regular water changes and water testing... But still, is that *too* overstocked? And what do you guys think about my fish selection in the first place? Will these fish all get along well together? I am open to suggestions and help for what would make a good stocking for my 29 gallon tank... Thank you in advance for any opinions/suggestions/help . I can't wait until my tank is cycled, planted, and ready to go ;D!

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds alright to me. I don't think it is too overstocked. I wouldn't put more than that though. You've got the water levels pretty well covered, your danios will skim the top, your serpaes will be mid level swimmers, your corys bottom and your Rams a little of each.

abc123d30

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Welcome to Fishlore!

IMO the stocking seems ok but I don't really know anything about Bolivian Rams... so I'll let others comment on stocking. Just wanted to welcome you to the forums

timmy454

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks for the quick replies ! Would you recommend getting 4 Pygmy corydoras and 2 Otocinclus cats or just 6 Pygmy corydoras?

Oh, and do you guys have any recommendations for plants for this tank? I have a 65-watt Coralife Freshwater Aqualight, API First Layer Pure Laterite, Seachem Flourish Tabs, Seachem Flourish Excel, and Tetra FloraPride, just to give you an idea of what my setup is...

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'd say 6 pygmy cories, cause otos like to school, too. And for corydoras, the more the merrier, and the more the more nutty behaviour you get to see from them!

Hmm, you may have to scratch the rams, as both serpae tetras and especially danios are extremely hyper fish that certainly don't put fin-nipping below themselves. I have a feeling the rams will be badly stressed in the same tank.

timmy454

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Elodea said:
Hmm, you may have to scratch the rams, as both serpae tetras and especially danios are extremely hyper fish that certainly don't put fin-nipping below themselves. I have a feeling the rams will be badly stressed in the same tank.
I was kind of wondering about that because I have read about and seen that behavior with Serpae tetras... However, I also read that fin-nipping is reduced by keeping a school (shoal?) of Serpae tetras, which is what I intend to do. Do you have a recommendation for another type of fish that could take the place of the Bolivian Rams? Possibly a pair of fish that could serve as a centerpiece? (That's what I was aiming for when I picked out the rams.) Thanks.
-Tim

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'd get more than 6 corys. I'd start with 10. Most reports Ive seen say they do best in large groups and can die off in small ones.

timmy454

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hmm, I don't think that corys are the best option for me then if I should get 10 of them... I know that corys have a lot of personality and are fun to watch, but I want this tank to be colorful in addition to fun to watch and interesting...
Could you guys maybe give me some suggestions of what I should include in this tank, throwing out all of my previously-mentioned ideas--except for the Serpae tetras. (I have to relocate 2 of them into this tank, so I am just going to get a small shoal of them for my tank. I'm thinking of buying 4 more for a total of 6 Serpae tetras. Could I get away with buying fewer of them?)

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
10 in a 29 isn't that many - they're like an inch long.

timmy454

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Okay, I'll consider them... But if I get ten Pygmy corys and 6 Serpae tetras, what else could I put in the tank? 10 corys=10 inches of fish, 6 Serpae tetras=12 inches of fish, so that's 22 inches of fish... Do you know of any top-swimming fish that would be good in this tank (besides danios)?
-Tim

angelfish220

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I would not do the zebra danios. Unless they are in a full school (6+) they will be really nippy. Why not have a larger school of serpae tetras? I would do...

10 Serpae tetras
2 bolivian rams (male and female)
6 pygmy cories

If you really wanted to add another type of fish, you could do 6 serpae tetras and add a dwarf gourami, as long as the serpae don't appear really nippy.

basing your fish on the inch per gallon rule, isn't the best. The bioload 1 of a Serpae tetra is less than '1 gallon' (but don't keep them in small tanks because you need a minimum of 6, plus swim space), the same for a pygmy cory. I've never kept bolivian rams so I cannot comment on them.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
timmy454 said:
Okay, I'll consider them... But if I get ten Pygmy corys and 6 Serpae tetras, what else could I put in the tank? 10 corys=10 inches of fish, 6 Serpae tetras=12 inches of fish, so that's 22 inches of fish... Do you know of any top-swimming fish that would be good in this tank (besides danios)?
-Tim
I don't generally follow the 1 inch per gallon rule - I considder many other factors than the length of the fish when stocking.

I personally would skip the serpaes, unless you really really like them. I had a group of 9 and they nipped EVERYTHING in the tank. They have done well in my tiger barb tank, though.

I think the rams, corys, flame tetras, and a pair of peal gouramis would make a very nice, colorful tank.

timmy454

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
angelfish220 said:
I would not do the zebra danios. Unless they are in a full school (6+) they will be really nippy. Why not have a larger school of serpae tetras? I would do...

10 Serpae tetras
2 bolivian rams (male and female)
6 pygmy cories

If you really wanted to add another type of fish, you could do 6 serpae tetras and add a dwarf gourami, as long as the serpae don't appear really nippy.

basing your fish on the inch per gallon rule, isn't the best. The bioload 1 of a Serpae tetra is less than '1 gallon' (but don't keep them in small tanks because you need a minimum of 6, plus swim space), the same for a pygmy cory. I've never kept bolivian rams so I cannot comment on them.
Could I maybe get:
6 Serpae tetras (total, not in addition to my current 2)
2 Bolivian Rams (male and female)
6 Pygmy corys
6 (or possibly 4) Black neon tetras

I've never kept Bolivian rams before either, so I am thinking that they might eat fish that are as small as black neon tetras... Does anybody know if this would happen?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Black neons are not small fish, and have no threat of being eaten

timmy454

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Jaysee said:
I don't generally follow the 1 inch per gallon rule - I considder many other factors than the length of the fish when stocking.

I personally would skip the serpaes, unless you really really like them. I had a group of 9 and they nipped EVERYTHING in the tank. They have done well in my tiger barb tank, though.

I think the rams, corys, flame tetras, and a pair of peal gouramis would make a very nice, colorful tank.
That does sound like a very nice tank. The only reason I am being so insistent on the serpae tetras is because I have 2 of them right now in a 5.5 gallon tank. I know that they are not supposed kept in that small of a tank (which is already overstocked to the point of insanity), but my mom randomly bought them one day when she was at the pet store, so we had to keep them. I could bring them to Petco (the only LFS in my area that would take them from me) if needed, but I don't know if I am comfortable with doing that to my fish... I had never heard of flame tetras before, and I really like how they look, so I will definitely consider getting some of them for this tank. If I would go with this tank idea, how many of each fish would you recommend?
Something like? :
2 Bolivian rams (1 male and 1 female)
6 Pygmy corys?
8 Flame tetras?
2 Pearl gouramis (1 male and 1 female)

Oh, and would a pair of dwarf gouramis instead of pearl gouramis work? I prefer the coloration of the dwarf gouramis to the pearl gouramis...

Thanks,
Tim.

timmy454

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Jaysee said:
Black neons are not small fish, and have no threat of being eaten
Okay, thanks. I didn't think that they would be small enough to be eaten, as I have one right now (the rest of his shoal was killed in a disastrous water-quality emergency), but I wasn't sure because I have not kept rams before.
-Tim

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Dwarf gouramis aren't going to occupy the top of the tank like the pearls will. Also, finding females is VERY hard.

I think those numbers are good!

timmy454

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Jaysee said:
Dwarf gouramis aren't going to occupy the top of the tank like the pearls will. Also, finding females is VERY hard.

I think those numbers are good!
Can you think of a different type of top-swimming fish that isn't a pearl gourami? I don't really want gouramis in my tank...
Would this possibly work instead? :
2 Bolivian rams (1 male and 1 female)
6 Pygmy corys?
6 Flame tetras?
6 (or maybe 4) Harlequin Rasboras

The Harlequin Rasboras should occupy the top region of the aquarium right?
This way I have the corys on the bottom, the flame tetras in the middle, the Harlequin Rasboras on the top, and the Bolivian rams all throughout the tank's regions...
Let me know what you think about this stocking list...

Thanks,
Tim.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How about some clown killis?

timmy454

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Jaysee said:
How about some clown killis?
Those look *really* awesome, but they seem expensive (from what I saw on liveaquaria). Would my list on the last page work? Those fish seem to be varied and colorful enough for me.
Thanks,
Tim.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads