opinions on tank brands?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by shadow2, Mar 24, 2010.

1. s

shadow2 Valued Member Member

Anyone ever bought Aqueon bow front or Tetra aquariums? Looking at glass ones and just wondered if anyone had good or bad experiences on specific brands.

Thanks!

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Everything I've ever bought was All Glass or Marineland. Maybe somebody else will have used those.
    Carol

3. OP
    OP
    s

Thanks Carol, my one tank is a Marineland and the other is Aqueon, which seems to be doing well so far. Now regretting starting so small, hoping to get bigger tank but don't want to deal with a lot of water bucket hauling. The bigger tanks just seem a bit overwhelming to me. But it sure is a fun hobby.

forgot to mention my tanks are acrylic and don't like how easy they scratch so would like to try the glass ones.

4. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

I think that the tank "construction" is pretty standard between brands, the canopies and hoods however can be really different.

5. thequietman44

thequietman44 Valued Member Member

I have a 36g bow front made by All Glass, but it came with Aqueon filters, etc. I've only had it a year, but it seems pretty much like every other tank I've seen. My 10g is also All Glass I think.

I heard somewhere that acrylic tanks are actually much better and safer overall than glass, but finding a quality acrylic tank made thick enough can be hard as lots of manufacturers skimp on the material and try to brace them like glass tanks. Also, scratches in acrylic can be repaired, but scratched glass can't be. Acrylic is much more expensive though, which is why most medium/large aquariums are glass.

6. OP
    OP
    s

Interesting, I did not know acrylic could be repaired, I have some small scratches on both of my new tanks, wonder if it is hard to repair. Guess I did not think glass could scratch too. But yep, I have seen scratches on house windows, makes sense.

Thanks!

7. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

My 265g tank is by Perfecto. I couldn't be happier. I decided to go with glass due to the fact that acrylic was double the price. My 26g bow front came from PetCo. I don't remember the brand name. My 6.6g bookshelf tank is acrylic. This is the first acrylic tank I've ever owned. I love it but for larger tanks I prefer glass due to costs $$$$.

Ken

8. D

David C Well Known Member Member

Marineland tanks are now made by Perfecto
    All-glass aquariums (AGA) are now Aqueon.

Corporate aquisitions, you know how it goes. There's definitely confusion with this though. From what I understand, the tanks are still made in the same factories as they used to be, just different signage and labeling.

Big difference I've noticed, Perfecto tanks sit recessed into their stands and Aqueon tanks rest on top of the stand. If you like the recessed look, then you know which way to go.

Dave

9. OP
    OP
    s

Thanks Ken! Yep, I went pricing today, and the glass are a little better priced.

And Dave, when I was out checking prices today on tanks, I did notice that Aqueon on the label said All Glass on it. Didn't know that about Marineland tho. thanks for the info!

10. B

BritJo Valued Member Member

I have a tetra 10 gallon glass tank I got from Petsmart in a kit. So far it's great, the only issue w/ it is that the hood is held in place by small plastic hinges and ...sticks for a lack of a better word and any time I need to tank the hood off for something I worry the little stick will break. It hasn't so far, but I'm extremely careful with it. I don't think this is a standard thing on Tetra aquariums probably just the starter kits, but I mean for 40 bucks I couldn't pass it up :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice