Opinions on stocking with Endlers

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Lchi87, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Lchi87

Lchi87 Moderator Moderator Member

I'm kicking around the idea of upgrading to a 40 gallon soon and for sure want my growing Endler colony living there. As they are so tiny, the risk of them being eaten by larger fish is obviously there but I thought that maybe if these larger fish were introduced last and bought as juveniles, they may be less likely to think the endlers are food if they grow up together.

The tank will be pretty densely planted with an open area for swimming with lots of hidey holes for the fish.

The bigger fish I was deciding between are(only going to do one of the three!):
    -Angelfish
    -Pearl Gourami
    -Something along the lines of an Apistogramma.

If it matters, I also want to include:
    6-8 Rummynose Tetra
    6-8 Sterbai cory:

I am an optimist at heart and would like to think that one of these larger fish can play nicely with the Endlers but feel free to tell me I'm crazy! No offense taken, promise :)

Thanks!

2. Quibbles

Quibbles Valued Member Member

Hi! I have had ton of success with keeping my angelfish with smaller fish, including neon tetras. I would recommend an angel, they have so much personality. It depends on the angel you get, some are more aggressive and therefor more likely to eat a endler, but my fish have always done well together. I don't have experience with the other two fish, but I can totally recommend an angelfish.

3. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Not sure about the pearl but I wouldn't put it past the angels and the apistos to eat them. I don't think the timing of when they're introduced or how young you get them would matter. Eventually, they might see them as food as long as they can fit them in their mouths. I don't have experience with endlers so I could be wrong.

Would you be breaking down the 10g that they're currently in? Maybe just have it as a backup in case things don't work out?

I love the stocking plan though - all those fish are my faves. :)

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I don't think that "growing up" with the endlers will prevent the other fish from eating them if they can. If they can fit in their mouths, I wouldn't risk it.

Cories will definitely be fine with the adults, and may only eat fry if they're on the ground. Rummynose and Apistos should be fine with adults, but they might eat the fry. Pearl gourami might be okay with adults too, but I would think the Angelfish will definitely eat fry and adults alike.

5. Quibbles

When raised with the smaller fish from a young age, an angel will leave them alone.

6. OP
    OP
    Lchi87

Yep, I have two spare tanks in case it doesn't work out! The fry I plan on keeping in their own grow out tank, its the adults I'm concerned about turning into a meal.

Good to know that it may work out, I have kept Angels in the past so I know what characters they can be!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2016
  7. Quibbles

awesome!

8. TexasDomer

I don't think that's true at all. They're predators, regardless of the age at which they're introduced to the smaller fish. They'll take the opportunity to eat the smaller fish as soon as they can.

9. Quibbles

My angel has co-existed with neon tetras, cardinal tetras, young killifish, and other small fish. Never have I had a single issue. Neon tetras are an angelfishes main food source in the wild.

10. TexasDomer

How big is your angel? Maybe it's not large enough to eat them yet.

I've lost juvie glowlight tetras and gold tetras to both of my angels, until the tetras grew too large to be eaten.

11. OP
    OP
    Lchi87

Now that I'm thinking more about it, it will be very dependent on the specific fish. Some may be more laid back and some may be extra predatory, like with bettas. I had one who was such a mush, his own reflection would scare him whereas Winston flares at everyone who walks by his tank that isnt me.

12. Quibbles

My angel is plenty big enough to pop a neon in his mouth. He is full grown, and hangs out with juvenile neons. Maybe you just ended up with an aggressive angel.

13. TexasDomer

My angel was a big pushover (a DG could scare him away), but he still ate my smaller fish. It's in their nature.

14. Quibbles

Hmm.. I don't know why your fish would be like this and not mine, but it really does vary between fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice