Opinions on Salt Baths?

Whitelightning

Hi, I just gave my betta his salt bath (this is day 2, he has fin rot and popeye) and after I put him back in the tank he was lying at the bottom motionless. My face turned pale thinking I killed him, but when I put the net down he thankfully swam away, but then lied down again. He's just sitting there at the bottom. He was swimming before I did the salt bath. Do you think the salt bath was too much for him? What has your experience been with salt baths? Thanks!

bumblinBee

I had this happen with one of bettas in the past. I still don't know if this kind of fatigued behaviour was a result of what was afflicting him, or due to the salt baths.. he didn't recover I'm afraid. But I've used salt baths with my other bettas and never had this as an issue, so perhaps it's a result of stress?

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

IME salt baths can be pretty stressful for the fish, and if the fish is already very ill sometimes it can be too much for them and they don’t make it. Maybe the popeye was caught too late and he’s weak enough that the salt bath was a bit too much for him to handle ?

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

Salt baths are generally WAY more stress than they need to be, IMO. Salt can be added directly into the tank in doses high enough to take care of most infections without issue, unless you have catfish or salt-sensitive plants in the tank. And if you do have a reason you can't treat salt into the main tank, I'd sooner move the fish in a holding tank/container, and treat with salt in there.

Upvote 0

Whitelightning

I had this happen with one of bettas in the past. I still don't know if this kind of fatigued behaviour was a result of what was afflicting him, or due to the salt baths.. he didn't recover I'm afraid. But I've used salt baths with my other bettas and never had this as an issue, so perhaps it's a result of stress?
Oh no. I'm so sorry to hear that happened. That's so sad. He is in pretty rough shape, but he was swimming before the salt bath (but even then would occasionally lie at the bottom), but he was never lying down this much like he is now.
IME salt baths can be pretty stressful for the fish, and if the fish is already very ill sometimes it can be too much for them and they don’t make it. Maybe the popeye was caught too late and he’s weak enough that the salt bath was a bit too much for him to handle ?
He is pretty ill and the popeye was caught late. Do you think I should stop with the salt bath treatments then?

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

He is pretty ill and the popeye was caught late. Do you think I should stop with the salt bath treatments then?
I would. Sounds like the baths are causing far more stress than is healthy for him right now.

Upvote 0

Whitelightning

Salt baths are generally WAY more stress than they need to be, IMO. Salt can be added directly into the tank in doses high enough to take care of most infections without issue, unless you have catfish or salt-sensitive plants in the tank. And if you do have a reason you can't treat salt into the main tank, I'd sooner move the fish in a holding tank/container, and treat with salt in there.
Yeah, I never thought about doing salt baths until people recommended I do it for the popeye. I decided to try it. Now my fish is lying on the bottom of the tank. I'm scared it was too much for him.

Upvote 0

bumblinBee

Oh no. I'm so sorry to hear that happened. That's so sad. He is in pretty rough shape, but he was swimming before the salt bath (but even then would occasionally lie at the bottom), but he was never lying down this much like he is now.

Then it's more likely than not stress is your issue, imo. As others have suggested, I'd either use salt directly in the tank, (unless thats not possible because you've plants or other inhabitants that youre worried about) or perhaps just increase the temperature in your tank.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Whitelightning
Replies
Views
Whitelightning
Replies
Views
Lucy