Opinions on plant selections

1. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Looking for opinions and experience on plants, I have in the past kept to really common, easy plants, I guess I'm getting bored and looking to venture a little wider in my choices.

Seems every time I decide I want to buy plants. I'll have 3-4 plants in mind and then find out no one source sells all of them, if I can find the plants at all. Buying from numerous sources can add up a lot of shipping charges.

Then there is Arizona Aquatic Gardens. They have a huge selection and I can find almost any plant I want there. They even have pretty good prices, well until it comes to shipping. I think you could launch the plants into orbit for what they ask in shipping charges.

So do I order here and there and pay everyone a bunch of shipping or do make one large order and pay the absurd shipping charges to one seller.

I think I've decided to do the latter, so I am trying to come up with every odd plant that I might want to try so I can order them all at once. I'm looking for any opinion or experience on these plants as most of them I am unfamiliar with outside of reading about them online.

Note that I have tanks from very low light to high light. One with pressurized CO2 (high light), and then many with DIY CO2, and many I dose Excel instead. I will probably convert more to pressurized in the future. And I add PPS Pro ferts to all my tanks. Even my low light betta tanks get a couple drops, I don't know if that does anything, but I walk around dosing the others it isn't much trouble to put a couple drops in those tanks. My water is also extremely soft, neutral pH (before CO2).

One thing common to my tanks is that none are very deep. Even my larger 50 gallon long, and 40 breeder are short because almost all my tanks are for the raising of bettas. So giant swords and such have been a problem as they grow right out of the tank.

These are the plants I'm looking at, I'm also open to suggestions of plants I should consider, as some of these plants have already been "discovered" that way, from suggestions here.

Foxtail Green Myriophyllum Pinnatum (med+ light, stem)

Rotala Wallichii (med+ light, stem)

Hairgrass Dwarf on Mat (med+ light, foreground)

Cyperus Helferi (med+ light, background)

Glossostigma on Mat (high light, carpet)

Vesuvius Sword (low/med light, background) this is a very interesting plant I never saw before

Flame Moss on Mat (low light, carpet etc)

Mini Christmas Moss on Mat (low light, carpet etc)

Ambulia (low light, stem)

Hygrophila corymbosa 'Kompakt' (med light, midground)

Myriophyllum mattogrossense "green form" (low-high, stem)

Pink Hippo Grass Limnophilia hippuroides (med+ light, stem)

Hydrotriche Hottoniiflora (med+ light, stem)

Cabomba Purple (high light, stem)

Cabomba Green (med+ light, stem)

Compacta Amazon Sword - Echinodorus Bleheri v. "Robustus" (low+, background)

Echinodorus Kleiner Prinz (med+ light, background) I had one of these I put in a low light tank and it died, I assume, I lost track of it.

2. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

If you can get it all in one place it might justify the shipping costs, even if it is high. On new setups it's can be tricky to get things tuned in, so putting all your eggs in one basket may or may not be the best route, but at the end of the day just go with whatever you feel most comfortable with.

Another option to consider is browsing the forums, plantedtank tends to have sellers that do trimming packages and it's a cheap way to get a start on some less common stuff. I would not buy the glosso on mat or the DHG on mat only because both of these plants spread relatively fast when they are doing well, so having a mat of it is kind of a moot point once it's established in the tank. The mats really just provide an 'instant gratification' factor but if you have some patience then you could get out much cheaper just by getting a few pots or portions.

Vesuvius is nice and makes a good mid ground plant. It actually spreads pretty fast when it's established as well. Instead of the myrio pinnatum, consider myrio red tuberculatum. It's more of a dark orange color and will be similar to r.wallichi at first glance but will be noticeably different as you look more into the tank.

I'm not a big fan of the cabombas. Purple can be annoying, and personally I choose furcata over it as far as color goes.

3. shayla1 Well Known Member Member

Have you thought about taking your list to a local fish store and asking if they can get these plants for you? Depending on the store, they may end up having people come in who see your plants and buy some for themselves. I know that one of my pet stores once ordered dwarf puffers for me. Since then, they carry puffers regularly and have become quite learned with them.

Just a thought..

4. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

I can see what you are saying about the mats. Other than moss, which I'm likely to put on a mat myself, having the others on a mat might be irritating no matter if it seems to be a good deal (12x12" glosso @ $17).

Not quite the same thing as the dwarf baby tears that I bought and had no idea the best way to plant it and ended up resorting to weighing the clump down with a rock hoping it will take off and spread.

RPV_0062.jpg

Was thinking they didn't have myrio red tuberculatum, but finally figured out they call it Foxtail Dragonfire. I have no particular reason to like the cabombas, so I may take your recommendation and nix them.

Any suggestions on more low or lower medium light stem plants for nano size tanks.

There are no LFSs around me that I'm likely to get to order plants, since I've tried to get pygmy cories and pencilfish in the past without any luck.

5. Axelrodi202 Member Member

There are sellers on planted tank forums (like Bartohog and h4n on plantedtank.net) that usually carry a bunch of species; maybe try them. However most of the plants on your list I have seen at LFS at least several times before, so they can probably be ordered. Also see if there are any fish or planted tank clubs in your area; local hobbyists are a great source of plants.

6. Watehobit Member Member

Sounds about right. They got some plants I want, but unless they will let me have them shipped as non-perishable, which I am assuming is UPS Ground, then I won't be getting them.

7. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

I would settle for actual normal overnight shipping charges. But their shipping is so inflated, that it cost more to ship these plants a few hundred miles than when I ship bettas from Thailand, through a transhipper, with all the import costs.

8. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Revised shopping cart

Mini Xmas Moss
    Flame Moss

Glossostigma
    Dwarf Hairgrass
    Staurogyne Repens

Myrio Mattogrossense
    Myrio Tuberculatum
    Ambulia
    Rotala Wallichii
    Pink Hippo Grass

Crypt Florida Sunset
    Cyperus Helferi
    Vesuvius
    Hygro Kompakt

I adjusted based on some recommendations, and by looking at some of the great aquascapes pictured online and figuring out what plants they were using. I eliminated the swords except for Vesuvius. They are just too hard to use in aquascaping and even the small ones are too big. I already have swords that I don't know what to do with. Only the crypt Florida sunset is a plant that I've used previously and unfortunately I killed it, combination of neglect and moving too many times.

Still interested in hearing any more of other peoples experience with any of these, or inspired recommendations.

9. Axelrodi202 Member Member

Mosses are fairly straightforward. Just be ruthless with removing strands infected with hair algae - once you see hair algae on a strand the moss is good as dead.

Glosso, DHG, and Stauro are all fairly easy growers in a good substrate. Glosso can be a bit tough to get to carpet though - it needs a lot of light to do so.

Myrios and ambulia are easy. By pink hippo grass I assume you're referring to Limnophila aromatica. This one is not too hard to grow, but getting good coloration out of it is, even with ferts and CO2/Excel. Rotala wallichii is a touchier stem that really likes soft water.

Crypt florida sunset is a fairly easy plant provided you leave it alone. This is one plant that really does not like being moved. I have not kept the last three on your list, but they should be fairly easy.

If you want a colorful stem, Rotala rotundifolia gets yellow/orange and is a fast and easy grower. For foreground/midground, downoi (Pogestemon helferi) is another great plant. Pogestemon erectus has also done very well for me in soft water.

10. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the comments. I like the suggestion of downoi, I am going to add it to my list. Rotala rotundifolia is probably also a good one, but since it is such a common plant I will probably leave it for now knowing I can easily find it another time. I found a surviving Florida sunset in one of my tanks, so I might try to nurture that one into propagating and instead get a crypt I don't already have, probably wendtii rose, which is a wendtii variation I wasn't already familiar with.