Opinions on ordering from Aquatic Arts?

Nianichole

I've been perusing different options for ordering fish and plants in the future. Aquatic arts seems to have a large and diverse selection of plants and fish, but their shipping is crazy expensive.

I'm just wondering if it's worth it and what other people's experiences have been ordering from them.

Thanks!

Kribensis27

My experience with them had always been great. Animals are always healthy, and they come quickly.

Upvote 0

Oriongal

I got my first-ever shrimp from them 3 years ago, originally through Amazon. More recently, a couple of months ago I got a trio of sanke-pattern swordtails, some espei rasboras, and some trilineatus corys from them, and they all arrived alive and none of them developed issues or died during quarantine.

I would not bet on the same number of swordtails, rasboras, and false Juliis all 100% making it through quarantine if they'd come from my local Petco or Petsmart, for whatever that's worth. Haven't ever ordered fish from Aqua Huna, they've never had anything I was particularly looking for.

Upvote 0

Nianichole

My experience with them had always been great. Animals are always healthy, and they come quickly.

Thanks for your feedback!
I got my first-ever shrimp from them 3 years ago, originally through Amazon. More recently, a couple of months ago I got a trio of sanke-pattern swordtails, some espei rasboras, and some trilineatus corys from them, and they all arrived alive and none of them developed issues or died during quarantine.

I would not bet on the same number of swordtails, rasboras, and false Juliis all 100% making it through quarantine if they'd come from my local Petco or Petsmart, for whatever that's worth. Haven't ever ordered fish from Aqua Huna, they've never had anything I was particularly looking for.

Thank you for sharing! Reddit doesn't seem to like them so this makes me feel more comfortable.

Do either of you have experience with their plants?

Upvote 0

Kathylee

In January I considered buying from Aquatic Arts. I E-Mailed back & forth with them, the team was super responsive & answered all my questions! They were all out of stock on the 3 types of fish I was interested in, so I went with another online seller & I regret it so much.
I will consider them again later down the road!
E-Mail sellers with any questions and see how they respond!

Upvote 0

kansas

Two orders fish and shrimp went well for me.

Upvote 0

Oriongal

Haven't ordered plants from them, no.

The main one I'd say stay away from is Arizona Aquatic Gardens. Great website, but nothing else about them is good.

Upvote 0

SixThreeOh

Have ordered and gone to pickup from them. Always a great experience.

Upvote 0

kansas

I almost fell for Arizona Aquatic Gardens cause they have such a good web page, then I read their reviews.

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

Haven't ordered plants from them, no.

The main one I'd say stay away from is Arizona Aquatic Gardens. Great website, but nothing else about them is good.
I almost fell for Arizona Aquatic Gardens cause they have such a good web page, then I read their reviews.
Yeah, I very nearly fell for them as well. Read the reviews last second, and immediately decided against it. I will admit, though, they do have a pretty nice website.

Upvote 0

Freshfishguy

Yeah, I very nearly fell for them as well. Read the reviews last second, and immediately decided against it. I will admit, though, they do have a pretty nice website.
You could take a look at LiveAquaria too. Might be cheaper than Aquatic Arts? They quarantine all their stuff and medicate if necessary. They are definitely a solid option too.

In regards to Aquatic Arts for whatever it’s worth, I’ve ordered from them numerous times and it’s always been a good experience (healthy fish and no DOAs).

Upvote 0

Nianichole

Holy moses... Just fell down that rabbit hole of terrifying reviews... How are they still operating!!??
You could take a look at LiveAquaria too. Might be cheaper than Aquatic Arts? They quarantine all their stuff and medicate if necessary. They are definitely a solid option too.

In regards to Aquatic Arts for whatever it’s worth, I’ve ordered from them numerous times and it’s always been a good experience (healthy fish and no DOAs).

Awesome, thank you so much! I'll check liveaquaria out too and compare.

Upvote 0

Ambie

I tend to go exclusively to Aquatic arts and when I'm looking for something a little outside the usual i go to The Wet Spot. Both quarantine and keep fish under observations till they're sure healthy.

Never had illness or any DOAs.

Also if you go to Aquatic Arts, Youtuber Secret History Living in your aquarium has 15% off code for your first purchase.

He's also a amazing aquarium youtuber.

Upvote 0

Nianichole

I tend to go exclusively to Aquatic arts and when I'm looking for something a little outside the usual i go to The Wet Spot. Both quarantine and keep fish under observations till they're sure healthy.

Never had illness or any DOAs.

Also if you go to Aquatic Arts, Youtuber Secret History Living in your aquarium has 15% off code for your first purchase.

He's also a amazing aquarium youtuber.

Thanks for the tip!

Upvote 0

jpaquatics

I’ve had 3 bad experiences with Aquatic Arts and would not recommend them

Upvote 0

Nianichole

What happened?

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

I've never had anything bad happen with them, what went wrong with your orders?

Also, about the plants, yes, I've ordered some plants from them. Also no issue with that. The plants arrived healthy and intact.

Upvote 0

JPH1970

Aquatic Arts gets my vote! Thorough on their email responses. Always helpful!

Upvote 0

jpaquatics

What happened?
I've never had anything bad happen with them, what went wrong with your orders?

Also, about the plants, yes, I've ordered some plants from them. Also no issue with that. The plants arrived healthy and intact.
Ordered a tissue culture from them. They have a paragraph listed on their tissue culture page saying “guaranteed to be pest and snail free”. I got the tissue culture and put it into my tank right away since it shouldn’t have any pests. It was covered in black beard algae everywhere. I sent them an email, and they agreed with me. I was extremely upset because I had restarted this particular aquarium almost a year prior because I couldn’t get rid of BBA, and I had just possibly reinfected it. They claimed they personally inspected every single tissue culture and assured me that the rest were pest free. So they sent me a clean one. This one arrived about a week later. After placing this second TC into my aquarium I was shocked to find that yet again, this one was also infested with BBA. I ended up buying from a different source. But the most unacceptable thing to me was the fact that they continued to keep this particular tissue culture listed on their site after knowing that their cultures were infected. Many people bought this after me and are probably now struggling with BBA. I bought 2 different tissue cultures 6 or so months later. One of which was again infested with BBA. Very disappointing from a company that claims they’re completely pest free.

I also bought 2 batches of orange shrimp from them. The first was a deep orange that looked exactly like the pictures. The second were no doubt culls, with all being mostly clear with just a hint of orange. I know shrimp can arrive pale due to the stress of transport, but several months later, these still look the same.

Due to all of these issues I could never recommend them to anyone. Especially after they left infected tissue cultures listed from their site after knowing that there were issues with them. If they truly cared about the customers they would have removed them all until the problem was fixed.

I attached a few pics of the tissue cultures. These were all taken moments after opening the cultures

C980EC8E-807D-4D6C-9382-AFD5502F9BD8.jpeg
AF30293E-A3EA-4EBE-9CB6-FB874DFC6247.jpeg
FB409615-6ECA-464D-B599-43016404A9F1.jpeg
5546A1E0-FD01-4F70-B97F-B28FC2C908FB.jpeg

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Personally I would be afraid to order any live fish or even plants from anyone right now if they are going to be shipped through USPS. The delays could very well cause problems leading to possibly dead fish. Plants may survive.

I do a lot of shopping on line. USPS has been slow for the past year but it has gotten ridiculously slow over the past couple of months. Tracking is almost impossible now. Packages get somewhere and just sit there sometimes for a week or more.

Upvote 0

FrogLegged

I'm just wondering if it's worth it and what other people's experiences have been ordering from them.

I just got 10 cherry shrimp from them in the mail and they were all alive and kicking - and it arrived promptly and clearly marked "LIVE ANIMALS" via sticker on it. Because I am easily amused, I liked that. And the shrimp weren't bad either.

Upvote 0

Nianichole

Ordered a tissue culture from them. They have a paragraph listed on their tissue culture page saying “guaranteed to be pest and snail free”. I got the tissue culture and put it into my tank right away since it shouldn’t have any pests. It was covered in black beard algae everywhere. I sent them an email, and they agreed with me. I was extremely upset because I had restarted this particular aquarium almost a year prior because I couldn’t get rid of BBA, and I had just possibly reinfected it. They claimed they personally inspected every single tissue culture and assured me that the rest were pest free. So they sent me a clean one. This one arrived about a week later. After placing this second TC into my aquarium I was shocked to find that yet again, this one was also infested with BBA. I ended up buying from a different source. But the most unacceptable thing to me was the fact that they continued to keep this particular tissue culture listed on their site after knowing that their cultures were infected. Many people bought this after me and are probably now struggling with BBA. I bought 2 different tissue cultures 6 or so months later. One of which was again infested with BBA. Very disappointing from a company that claims they’re completely pest free.

I also bought 2 batches of orange shrimp from them. The first was a deep orange that looked exactly like the pictures. The second were no doubt culls, with all being mostly clear with just a hint of orange. I know shrimp can arrive pale due to the stress of transport, but several months later, these still look the same.

Due to all of these issues I could never recommend them to anyone. Especially after they left infected tissue cultures listed from their site after knowing that there were issues with them. If they truly cared about the customers they would have removed them all until the problem was fixed.

I attached a few pics of the tissue cultures. These were all taken moments after opening the cultures

C980EC8E-807D-4D6C-9382-AFD5502F9BD8.jpeg
AF30293E-A3EA-4EBE-9CB6-FB874DFC6247.jpeg
FB409615-6ECA-464D-B599-43016404A9F1.jpeg
5546A1E0-FD01-4F70-B97F-B28FC2C908FB.jpeg

Thank you for sharing! It's good to get a different perspective.
Personally I would be afraid to order any live fish or even plants from anyone right now if they are going to be shipped through USPS. The delays could very well cause problems leading to possibly dead fish. Plants may survive.

I do a lot of shopping on line. USPS has been slow for the past year but it has gotten ridiculously slow over the past couple of months. Tracking is almost impossible now. Packages get somewhere and just sit there sometimes for a week or more.

This is a very good point. I won't be ready to order anything for a while, but this is definitely something to keep in mind. Thank you!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
KingOscar
  • Question
Replies
Views
LanceDog
Replies
Views
Toothy