Opinions on new 35 gallon stocking list?

1. JesseJoseph Initiate Member

Recently acquired a 35 gallon tank. I'll be using regular aquarium gravel, plastic plants (for now anyways.) Its going to be set up with an Eheim 2213 canister filter, and an undergravel filter fitted with a Penguin 550 powerhead. Also a 150 watt heater. I will cycle it for 2-3 weeks using 'dirty' filter media and water from an established tank. I will make sure the ammonia and nitrites are at zero before adding fish. I will add them in groups of like fish to avoid a huge ammonia spike then finish with a centrepiece fish.

The stocking list I've come up with:
    - 2 Amano shrimp
    - 3 cherry red shrimp
    - 8 zebra danio
    - 8 harlequin raspboras
    - 1 pearl gourami

Aqadvisor says,

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 284%.Help on Filtration capacity

Recommended water change schedule: 17% per week.

Your aquarium stocking level is 63%.

I considered the undergravel filter with the powerhead to be rated for 25 gallons on Aqadvisor. The powerhead flow rate is 145 so I figured 25g capacity is 1/6th of its flow rate. Does that sound accurate? Am I over exaggerating my filtration capacity? Removing the powerhead from the equation puts it at 205% filtration and 65% stocking capacity.

I'm going to see how it goes with the 35 gallon then maybe upgrade to a 75 or 90g in a couple years.

So how does that look? Do you think I have room for another centrepiece fish? How does it look from the standpoint of top mid and bottom dwellers?

I admittedly have a 5 gallon with two zebra danio and two Amano shrimp. Going small was a mistake and I'm trying to rectify that mistake.

Glad to be a part of the forum!

2. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

Welcome to the forum!

You don't necessarily have to, but IMO, I would do something like this
    3x Amano shrimp
    3x cherry red shrimp
    10x zebra danios
    8x Harlequin rasbora
    1x Pearl gourami (Male or female)

IMO the only other centerpiece fish should be a female Pearl gourami.
    Amano shrimp are more social shrimp, that's why I did 3 instead of 2
    I have never had a problem with zebra danios being nippy, but I did 10 instead of 8 to give you a better chance of them not picking at the gouramis fins.

Your stock was perfectly fine, I just thought I would suggest mine to

3. JesseJoseph Initiate Member

My main concern is with the zebra danios. With the 5 gallon I couldn't keep even a decent school size of them. So right now I have 1 dominant zebra and the other hides. If I increase the numbers of zebras in a larger tank will this dominant zebra mellow out? Will they form a pecking order that makes the raspboras nervous? I know zebras are hardy but are they sometimes just inherently ass holes in the community? Trying to avoid obnoxious fish here.

I'd prefer a mellow, laid back, so shoaling community compared to a hyper one. Any recommendations other than the zebras? Neons guppies and mollies are out. Just a preference thing.

4. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

With a school of 10 they should form their own little pecking order. I've never had zebra danios bother any of my fish as long as they have a large enough school.

What temperature are you keeping the tank at?
    If its 75-78F then rummy nosed tetras may be an option.

5. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

What are the dimensions of the tank? I don't think I'd add another schooling fish in the mid/top region to this tank.

I would maybe do a small school of cories for the bottom. Or do a peaceful dwarf cichlid like a bolivian ram.

6. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

I wasn't saying to add the rummy nose tetras also, I was giving them as a substitute for the zebra danios
    Maybe get a 'algae cleanup crew' like some Nerite snails?
    Pygmy Cories would be a good bottom dwelling fish. (Like tyguy7760 suggested)

So maybe something like

8x Harlequin rasbora
    8-10x Zebra danios or rummy nose tetra
    1-2x Pearl gourami
    3x Amano shrimp
    3x Cherry shrimp
    2x Nerite snails
    6-7x Pygmy Cory

7. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Ahh I'm with you. That's a good stock

8. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Zebra danios prefer much cooler water than the pearls so I would probably go with the rummy noses instead unless you want to keep the danios and go with a gourami that is more temp compatible. I would also only do one pearl in this tank size as they get up to 5 inches.

Pygmy corys spend more time at the mid-region of the tank so I think maybe a different cory like aeneus is a better option.

9. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Instead of pygmy cories you could do salt and pepper cories. They stay on the bottom more like the traditional cory and stay at about an inch long. As long as the temp doesn't stay above 77 or 78 then they would work.

10. JesseJoseph Initiate Member

There tank is 36L x 12.5D x 18h

These are all great ideas. I will have to research the corys and rummy noses.

11. dffssdf Initiate Member

My tank is supposedly stocked 200% and its planted and dual filtered and it's completely fine