Opinions On Mixing Freshwater Hillstream Gobies

Discussion in 'Freshwater Gobies' started by PatrickShrimp, Jul 29, 2019.

1. PatrickShrimp

PatrickShrimpValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +156
    Hey everyone, I’ve started a thread on the setup of my 20 long hillstream tank, and need help with stocking. I’m planning on having a group of 8 White Cloud Mountain Minnows (WCMM) and a group of 6 pseudogastromyzon. But the more important fish I want to house is a stiphodon species. Currently I am thinking of getting 4 red Sumatra gobies (1m - 3f), but wanted to know if they would get along with a pair of atropurpureus or percnopterygionis. Also, would they get along with a pair of rhinogobius or sicyopsis?

2. Feohw

FeohwWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,353
    Experience:
    1 year
    I have different types of gobies together. Stiphodon females will sometimes hang out together regardless of species. The males can be a bit more territorial but ime it amounts to nothing really. I do have mine in a 53g tank though so it's more spacious. I wouldn't get too many of them unless you have plenty of algae and biofilm for them to munch on, and unless you have enough to sustain them after they have got to munchin it. Let the tank mature and algae up before getting these lil guys. Too many males of different species could stress out themselves as well as the females though.

3. OP
    OP
    PatrickShrimp

Ratings:
    +156
    Yeah, I would just get them before it gets cold, so after a month or so, at the most 3 months. I have repashy, I plan on growing cucumbers and getting some bacter AE. I may end up getting two sets of stiphodons then, both a 1-2 male female, so 6 in total.

4. Feohw

Ratings:
    +1,353
    Experience:
    1 year
    I leave my lights on for a little longer than most on order to grow some algae for mine. I also feed them bacter AE. They will eat hikari sinking wafers and veggies when I add them too. If you don't have enough algae and biofilm in your tank I would advise to put a jar beside a window with some rocks and tank water to grow some on, though a supply of algae and biofilm already in the tank is best.

Is the tank set up now? If it's just set up or cycled I'd wait longer than a month to get them.

5. OP
    OP
    PatrickShrimp

Ratings:
    +156
    I’m gonna set it up in a few days, as the process will be a bit long. It is currently set up, the old version, a jungle scape, and the tank has reached equilibrium, so when I go out to return the other fish, I’m going to pick up the WCMM’s, and replug in my canister, hopefully keeping all my precious bacteria. I’m also gonna do a 12 on 12 off schedule.

Do you think that will be enough? I appreciate the advice.

6. Feohw

Ratings:
    +1,353
    Experience:
    1 year
    Sounds good. I wouldn't plug out the filter if its cycled. The bacteria can survive for quite some time without ammonia but keeping them oxygenated is important. I have my lights set for 12 on 12 off too. My algae is mainly on the back panel and on some rocks so I don't have too many problems. They are incredible little fish and great to watch. My Stiphodon ornatus hide quite a bit though. The atropurpureus are much more outgoing.

I think you will enjoy them a lot. Especially as those that you picked are quite spectacular too. I have some more being delivered myself. Can't get enough of them.

7. OP
    OP
    PatrickShrimp

Ratings:
    +156
    They really are great. I’ve been thinking of doing this for a while, but could never get the right hardscape for it.

8. RobM

RobMValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +38
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Mixing rhinogobius with other rhinogobius or other gobies can be hit or miss. R. rubromaculatus and R. giurinus tend to kill off any other gobies in the tank with them. Some of the other rhinos can be more peaceful but still risky.

9. OP
    OP
    PatrickShrimp

Ratings:
    +156
    Alright, I’ll take that into account. I may just do stiphodons, in part from space limits.