Opinions on Glofish?

cryptidwolves

I’m not interested in getting any Glofish (they just look too unnatural for me) but I am doing a project about GMOs for school, and my topic is Glofish. Are there any health problems that are specific to Glofish? Are there any other pros and cons of Glofish?

SM1199

As far as I know, there are no genetic differences between glofish and their respective tetra/danio/barb/etc equals BESIDES whichever gene they inserted to make them colored, which doesn't affect anything else about the fish. So no, I'd say there are no health problems specific to glofish, since they're otherwise the exact same as their ancestors. However, I'm not sure how inbred they might be, which they may or may not be considering they all come from a single manufacturer that has the patent on them and who knows if they maintain genetic diversity or not. So they may or may not have health problems as a secondary issue to being inbred, depending if they are or not.

Mcasella

They can be a little more sensitive to cool water compared to the regulars, but half the time they are hardier than regular white skirts.
To keep them going as long as they have they would have some genetic diversity because they cannot breed the colors together and get both colors (recessive genes in play even with modified genes being added), adding in of course they don't show up with deformities when you see them and overall appearance is clean and healthy.

blair2019

I’ve only had GloFish for a month, but I can say they are very hardy fish! They came recommended by several Pet stores as a great beginner fish. I’ve been having ammonia issues in the past couple of weeks and they haven’t seem to be affected at all. They are active, they love the bubbler and seem to enjoy swimming into the bubbles. I have 6 GloFish with 10 danios and they all get along. I don’t use the black light on them, I’m not a fan of the glow in the dark thing, but they still look great in my tank with live plants and in a more natural setting. I’m really enjoying them, they like to play and chase each other for short little bursts. Not sure if that helps any!

MissNoodle

I got the glofish tetras along with regular black and white skirts. I find them just as hardy and no different. Unnatural colour but they have their appeal and tbh the ones my husband brought home have grown on me (the green girl I have is my favourite, shes more curious)

blair2019

I should add to my previous post, my kids loved the colours and really wanted the GloFish. So I figured this time around I’d get them and my next tank will be mine and I’ll get my favourite fish then! But for now I’m happy

mimo91088

I don't agree with patenting fish, so I'll never buy them. But I also can't say I've ever heard any negatives about them genetically

Jonathon001

I don't agree with patenting fish, so I'll never buy them. But I also can't say I've ever heard any negatives about them genetically
In one sense I agree but in this case it's not the fish themselves that are patented bit rather the process by which they have genetically modified them. I find the science behind them fascinating and have a small school (8) in my planted 135. Initially I was against them as I thought them to be a novelty. However my wife liked them, and they've kindof grown on me. They school nicely and give a nice pop of colour.
20191109_083637.jpg

MissNoodle

In one sense I agree but in this case it's not the fish themselves that are patented bit rather the process by which they have genetically modified them. I find the science behind them fascinating and have a small school (8) in my planted 135. Initially I was against them as I thought them to be a novelty. However my wife liked them, and they've kindof grown on me. They school nicely and give a nice pop of colour.
20191109_083637.jpg
And they look fantastic in your Blackwater setup.

GouramisAreSuperior

Aggressive eaters

Dewclaw83

I’m not interested in getting any Glofish (they just look too unnatural for me) but I am doing a project about GMOs for school, and my topic is Glofish. Are there any health problems that are specific to Glofish? Are there any other pros and cons of Glofish?
I was going to try inserting a fluorescing gene into some bettas for my senior thesis next year, but then I heard that the company is coming out with “Globettas” or whatever in Feb (2020) and I don’t really feel like getting sued or anything, so there goes my idea >.>
(I think it’s a terrible idea commercially, already too many bettas are sold into improper care)

But technically speaking glofish should be no different from the normal version of the fish other than the fact they fluoresce

YellowGuppy

Are there any health problems that are specific to Glofish? Are there any other pros and cons of Glofish?

Are you looking for opinions on glofish, or facts about glofish?

Islandvic

I think Segrest and 5D Farms are the only commercial breeders (huge players in our industry) , that produce Glofosh under license from Spectrum Brands, who bought Glofish from the Yorktown Technologies group out of Texas. Yorktown originated the Glofish by importing the GMO technology from a Signapore university from what I recall.

California originally banned glofish, but has since lifted the ban. I think the European Union still has a ban on them.

Our 75 gallon community tank has about a dozen glofish tetras among many other fish. Over the past year and a half, we may have lost only 2 glofish. In my experience, mine have been very hardy and have plumped up nicely as they matured.

AcuarioAmazonico

Have no contribution. They don’t exist in my country.

DoubleDutch

Happy to say the same thing here.

Debbie1986

I have 4 (2 galactic purple & 2 of the deep pink) and they are gorgeous! I try to use the Glofish water treatment in that tank as it does have special chemicals because of their special genetics. next to my 2 regular white skirt Tetras, they are very colorful & exotic. I have had no issues with them. I purchased those 4 to add to my other 2 so I'd have a school. they interact very nicely & my serial killer fish chilled out after they were around for 2 weeks.

I am inclined to get 2 yellow now and make it a full 8.

MacZ

Happy to say the same thing here.

Same, luckily. Even though I'm normally into psychedelic stuff, I am not into Glofish.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Analisemcg
Replies
Views
BlueGlofish
  • Question
5 Gallon Tank Repurposing Glofish tank
Replies
Views
Ling313