Opinions On Glofish?

Brenden

Member
So, I have noticed the GloFish trend really starting to take off. The colors getting crazier, different species coming out, so on...so on.

I find the idea fascinating, but I've also heard many different people opposed to it all together.

What is your opinion on GloFish and other modified fish?
 

Sheldon13

Member
I don’t really have a problem with it as it doesn’t seem to harm the fish in anyway. Nothing like years ago when they used to inject colors into the glass fish and white skirt tetras. Now that was an awful trend.
 
  • Thread Starter

Brenden

Member
Sheldon13 said:
I don’t really have a problem with it as it doesn’t seem to harm the fish in anyway. Nothing like years ago when they used to inject colors into the glass fish and white skirt tetras. Now that was an awful trend.
Fair enough.

I did read up on that injecting thing, and was kind of appalled. I read up on GloFish and saw the method was far more humane.
 

MaximumRide14

Member
I personally don't like them. They seem too artificial to me. I like more natural aquariums. But at least they don't inject or dye them anymore. At least that's what they say at chain stores here now.
 
  • Thread Starter

Brenden

Member
MaximumRide14 said:
I personally don't like them. They seem too artificial to me. I like more natural aquariums. But at least they don't inject or dye them anymore. At least that's what they say at chain stores here now.
See that is kind of the issue I been having with them too. I been looking into them, and I look at them every time I'm at my LFS, but something just feels wrong about them...
 

MaximumRide14

Member
Brenden said:
See that is kind of the issue I been having with them too. I been looking into them, and I look at them every time I'm at my LFS, but something just feels wrong about them...
If you don't mind me asking, what's your LFS? I live in AZ too. Some stores may have better quality Glofish than others (I wouldn't get any from chain stores)
 

GlennO

Member
I have no issue with others keeping them but their appearance is too unnatural for me. For the same reason I'm not interested in many of the hybrids or the fish with deformed body shapes that appear to be quite popular.
 
  • Thread Starter

Brenden

Member
MaximumRide14 said:
If you don't mind me asking, what's your LFS? I live in AZ too. Some stores may have better quality Glofish than others (I wouldn't get any from chain stores)
I'm in Tucson. The only "local" places I have around me is a place called Fishy Business which I love, but they specialize exclusively in saltwater and I keep freshwater.

Then there is Desert Pet, which is not bad, I just don't go there because staff tend to be kinda rude, and somebody I know personally happens to work there so it's awkward

I personally go to PetCo. I've had bad experiences with chain stores...until I found the PetCo near my house. Small location, but everybody there actually knows their stuff. They refuse sales all the time and constantly educate people trying to buy fish. I used to buy my fish from Petsmart just to lose them left and right. All my current stock came from that store and they are all healthy and happy

GlennO said:
I have no issue with others keeping them but their appearance is too unnatural for me. For the same reason I'm not interested in many of the hybrids or the fish with deformed body shapes that appear to be quite popular.
Yeah...that is kinda how I'd describe it.

If I were to get some, it would feel like I'm keeping a science experiment rather than a pet. It just feels wrong...
 

NC122606

Member
Brenden said:
So, I have noticed the GloFish trend really starting to take off. The colors getting crazier, different species coming out, so on...so on.

I find the idea fascinating, but I've also heard many different people opposed to it all together.

What is your opinion on GloFish and other modified fish?
I was going to get some but ended up not because of their price. They are really cool fish under the right conditions.
 
  • Thread Starter

Brenden

Member
NC122606 said:
I was going to get some but ended up not because of their price. They are really cool fish under the right conditions.
Gotta pay extra for all that science lol
 

omaxem

Member
The one problem that I have with them is that they seem to be targeted/marketed at kids much in the same way that toys are, and fish are not toys.

Other than that, saw a couple of 'em at one of my LFSs, and they looked perfectly fine and healthy. That's more than can be said about other fish experiments that have been done in the past.
 

MaximumRide14

Member
Brenden said:
I'm in Tucson. The only "local" places I have around me is a place called Fishy Business which I love, but they specialize exclusively in saltwater and I keep freshwater.

Then there is Desert Pet, which is not bad, I just don't go there because staff tend to be kinda rude, and somebody I know personally happens to work there so it's awkward

I personally go to PetCo. I've had bad experiences with chain stores...until I found the PetCo near my house. Small location, but everybody there actually knows their stuff. They refuse sales all the time and constantly educate people trying to buy fish. I used to buy my fish from Petsmart just to lose them left and right. All my current stock came from that store and they are all healthy and happy
Lol, I'm closer to Phoenix and here Petco has better equipment and bettas but Petsmart has more fish. I could never figure out which store had better quality fish though. There were some clear/iridescent fish at Petco look awesome though. I forgot their name but I couldn't find them on their website.
 

FrostedFlakes

Member
To be quite honest, I think they're kinda cool. I don't know, maybe because I'm younger and colorful things are flashy and catch my attention lol. Something about them is intriguing to me. One of my dream tanks for a while has been a 20 long planted natural scape with glofish. I think their stark contrast with a natural scape will look very interesting and eye catching.
 

MaximumRide14

Member
FrostedFlakes said:
To be quite honest, I think they're kinda cool. I don't know, maybe because I'm younger and colorful things are flashy and catch my attention lol. Something about them is intriguing to me. One of my dream tanks for a while has been a 20 long planted natural scape with glofish. I think their stark contrast with a natural scape will look very interesting and eye catching.
I like this idea better! Maybe it's the neon rocks and usual fake plants that make them less attracting to me haha
 

FrostedFlakes

Member
Yeah I really dislike fake deco. Unatural colors on fish are fine for me but unnatural deco is ew to me
 

Crispii

Member
Not a huge fan of them.
 

Benfreshwater

Member
My son loves the idea of them so possibly it's a good way to get the younger ones into first time fish keeping because let's be honest to small kids some of the more natural fish are "boring" to watch... (To kids anyway) under the right lighting some of the Glofish really do pop out the tank though but obviously that is what they were designed to do
 

Fishcat

Member
I think they’re pretty cool, just don’t like the teeny tanks that are glofish branded. And the full-tilt color-changing poke-your-eyes-out setups with the multicolor gravel and the plants and the anemone give me a headache.
 

AJE

Member
I don't really like the look of them but I don't care if someone else has them, I also like that they enrage the fish police
 

Sheryl

Member
I have had them in my 20 gallon community tank for a year. I bought 8 different
varieties/colors, when Petco had them on sale which coincided with setting up my tank and ultimately stocking it. I did lose two at different times, but only after having them awhile. I have a few other kinds now as well and all is well. They are all similar in size and disposition, except the neons, who are smaller. I do not have fluorescent decor or substrata, but do have the combination regular and blue LED lighting. I can even cut off the regular light at night and enjoy the Glofish show. LOL All live in harmony and I LOVE all the different fish and colors in this tank. I have other tanks as well and they are all stocked differently. I am learning a lot about fishkeeping but still learning. THIS IS A VERY EXPENSIVE BUT SATISFYING HOBBY! Thanks for this forum and all the advice, info and intersting experiences I am seeing here!
 

JessicaSwanlake

Member
I don't really care for them personally. As a kid we had neon tetras (and other less colorful fish) in a community tank and they had more than enough flash and color to keep 3-8 year old me entertained.

I don't have a problem with people getting them for their small children as long as they explain (once they are old enough to understand) that the fish aren't naturally that color, couldn't surive in the wild with the color, importance of camouflage, that less "charismatic" fish are just as important to the environment as "charismatic" fish, etc. Obviously adults can buy whichever fish fits their ~aesthetic~. I just think it is important children don't grown up thinking that wetland species are less interesting because they don't come in fluorescent pink.
 

bizaliz3

Member
Since the process is not harmful and does not include injecting the fish with dye...I am not against it as far as the process is concerned. But I am against it for other reasons.

My biggest issue currently is that they have added sharks and barbs to their brand and I have even heard rumors that angelfish are going to be added some day too. They are already making them in another country! They look so gross to me.

Glofish brand caters mostly to little kids, with little tanks, with rainbow gravel and pink castles. (yes I am stereotyping a bit lol). And Sharks and barbs and angelfish have no place in that environment.

I already didn't like the glofish brand because of the fact that the little fish they use are active schooling fish. And are almost always placed in 5-10 gallon glofish brand tanks. (since glofish doesn't make large tanks) And are almost always kept in very small numbers. But now glofish have sharks and barbs too!! Those are not beginner fish and they do not belong in small glofish tanks with beginner fish keepers and children! Suddenly....doing it to tetras and danios doesn't sound too bad anymore! haha

Because they cater to children and beginners, they should have only used docile, peaceful beginner fish! Moving to sharks and barbs and possibly angels pushed me over the edge. I know very few experienced fish keepers who would ever put glofish in their tanks. So most will end up in teeny tanks with a fish keeper that has very little knowledge about the fish but just think they are cool looking.
 

JessicaSwanlake

Member
bizaliz3 said:
Since the process is not harmful and does not include injecting the fish with dye...I am not against it as far as the process is concerned. But I am against it for other reasons.

My biggest issue currently is that they have added sharks and barbs to their brand and I have even heard rumors that angelfish are going to be added some day too. They are already making them in another country! They look so gross to me.

Glofish brand caters mostly to little kids, with little tanks, with rainbow gravel and pink castles. (yes I am stereotyping a bit lol). And Sharks and barbs and angelfish have no place in that environment.

I already didn't like the glofish brand because of the fact that the little fish they use are active schooling fish. And are almost always placed in 5-10 gallon glofish brand tanks. (since glofish doesn't make large tanks) And are almost always kept in very small numbers. But now glofish have sharks and barbs too!! Those are not beginner fish and they do not belong in small glofish tanks with beginner fish keepers and children! Suddenly....doing it to tetras and danios doesn't sound too bad anymore! haha

Because they cater to children and beginners, they should have only used docile, peaceful beginner fish! Moving to sharks and barbs and possibly angels pushed me over the edge. I know very few experienced fish keepers who would ever put glofish in their tanks. So most will end up in teeny tanks with a fish keeper that has very little knowledge about the fish but just think they are cool looking.
Ugh, I didn't know they had sharks. And angels?! I don't think they even make tanks above 20 gallons. That info paints a new picture of the company as one that profits from promoting irresponsible fishkeeping, because you're right experienced keepers aren't usually the ones keeping them.
 

bizaliz3

Member
JessicaSwanlake said:
Ugh, I didn't know they had sharks. And angels?! I don't think they even make tanks above 20 gallons. That info paints a new picture of the company as one that profits from promoting irresponsible fishkeeping, because you're right experienced keepers aren't usually the ones keeping them.
Exactly. I lost all respect for the company when they added sharks and barbs. Not that I had a ton of respect for them in the first place. But like I said, that is what pushed me over the edge when it comes to my feeling towards that brand.

Google pink angelfish!! :-( They haven't been officially added to the glofish brand....but its going to happen in the near future!
 

JessicaSwanlake

Member
bizaliz3 said:
Exactly. I lost all respect for the company when they added sharks and barbs. Not that I had a ton of respect for them in the first place. But like I said, that is what pushed me over the edge when it comes to my feeling towards that brand.

Google pink angelfish!! :-( They haven't been officially added to the glofish brand....but its going to happen in the near future!
Oh, poor angels!! Per the genetic engineer who created them only have 1% success rate for births due to the fragility of the eggs, so hopefully they stay off the market for a while or at least are prohibitively expensive so people aren't buying them for their children. (It said someone was offering $100,000 per fish back in 2012).
I don't even think they look nice. Now I am waiting for Glofish Oscars and Glofish Fire Eels, it's probably just a matter of time.
 

AJE

Member
A glo betta and a glo shrimp would be cool
 

AJE

Member
A glo betta and a glo shrimp would be cool
 

AJE

Member
A glo betta and a glo shrimp would be cool
 

Sheldon13

Member
I dunno if I agree on the betta, they are already so colorful. But the shrimp would be cool! I have no doubt that someone out there is trying...
 

goldface

Member
I'm indifferent. Better than overbred bettas and fancy goldfish that live only a 1/3 or less of their natural lifespans. That's my perspective, anyway.
 

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom