Opinions On Glofish?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brenden, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Brenden

BrendenValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +144
    So, I have noticed the GloFish trend really starting to take off. The colors getting crazier, different species coming out, so on...so on.

I find the idea fascinating, but I've also heard many different people opposed to it all together.

What is your opinion on GloFish and other modified fish?

2. Sheldon13

Sheldon13Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +257
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I don’t really have a problem with it as it doesn’t seem to harm the fish in anyway. Nothing like years ago when they used to inject colors into the glass fish and white skirt tetras. Now that was an awful trend.

3. OP
    OP
    Brenden

Ratings:
    +144
    Fair enough.

I did read up on that injecting thing, and was kind of appalled. I read up on GloFish and saw the method was far more humane.

4. MaximumRide14

MaximumRide14Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +794
    Experience:
    2 years
    I personally don't like them. They seem too artificial to me. I like more natural aquariums. But at least they don't inject or dye them anymore. At least that's what they say at chain stores here now.

5. OP
    OP
    Brenden

Ratings:
    +144
    See that is kind of the issue I been having with them too. I been looking into them, and I look at them every time I'm at my LFS, but something just feels wrong about them...

6. MaximumRide14

Ratings:
    +794
    Experience:
    2 years
    If you don't mind me asking, what's your LFS? I live in AZ too. Some stores may have better quality Glofish than others (I wouldn't get any from chain stores)

7. GlennO

GlennOValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +216
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I have no issue with others keeping them but their appearance is too unnatural for me. For the same reason I'm not interested in many of the hybrids or the fish with deformed body shapes that appear to be quite popular.

8. OP
    OP
    Brenden

Ratings:
    +144
    I'm in Tucson. The only "local" places I have around me is a place called Fishy Business which I love, but they specialize exclusively in saltwater and I keep freshwater.

Then there is Desert Pet, which is not bad, I just don't go there because staff tend to be kinda rude, and somebody I know personally happens to work there so it's awkward

I personally go to PetCo. I've had bad experiences with chain stores...until I found the PetCo near my house. Small location, but everybody there actually knows their stuff. They refuse sales all the time and constantly educate people trying to buy fish. I used to buy my fish from Petsmart just to lose them left and right. All my current stock came from that store and they are all healthy and happy :)

Yeah...that is kinda how I'd describe it.

If I were to get some, it would feel like I'm keeping a science experiment rather than a pet. It just feels wrong...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2019
  9. NC122606

NC122606Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +476
    Experience:
    Just started
    I was going to get some but ended up not because of their price. They are really cool fish under the right conditions.

10. OP
    OP
    Brenden

Ratings:
    +144
    Gotta pay extra for all that science lol

11. omaxem

omaxemNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +29
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The one problem that i have with them is that they seem to be targeted/marketed at kids much in the same way that toys are, and fish are not toys.

Other than that, saw a couple of 'em at one of my LFSs, and they looked perfectly fine and healthy. That's more than can be said about other fish experiments that have been done in the past.

12. MaximumRide14

Ratings:
    +794
    Experience:
    2 years
    Lol, I'm closer to Phoenix and here Petco has better equipment and bettas but Petsmart has more fish. I could never figure out which store had better quality fish though. There were some clear/iridescent fish at Petco look awesome though. I forgot their name but I couldn't find them on their website.

13. FrostedFlakes

FrostedFlakesWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +543
    Experience:
    2 years
    To be quite honest, I think they're kinda cool. I don't know, maybe because I'm younger and colorful things are flashy and catch my attention lol. Something about them is intriguing to me. One of my dream tanks for a while has been a 20 long planted natural scape with glofish. I think their stark contrast with a natural scape will look very interesting and eye catching.

14. MaximumRide14

Ratings:
    +794
    Experience:
    2 years
    I like this idea better! Maybe it's the neon rocks and usual fake plants that make them less attracting to me haha

15. FrostedFlakes

FrostedFlakesWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +543
    Experience:
    2 years
    Yeah I really dislike fake deco. Unatural colors on fish are fine for me but unnatural deco is ew to me

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  16. Crispii

CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,202
    Not a huge fan of them.

17. Benfreshwater

BenfreshwaterValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +141
    Experience:
    Just started
    My son loves the idea of them so possibly it's a good way to get the younger ones into first time fish keeping because let's be honest to small kids some of the more natural fish are "boring" to watch... (To kids anyway) under the right lighting some of the Glofish really do pop out the tank though but obviously that is what they were designed to do

18. Fishcat

FishcatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +943
    I think they’re pretty cool, just don’t like the teeny tanks that are glofish branded. And the full-tilt color-changing poke-your-eyes-out setups with the multicolor gravel and the plants and the anemone give me a headache.

19. AJE

AJEFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,875
    Experience:
    1 year
    I don't really like the look of them but I don't care if someone else has them, I also like that they enrage the fish police

20. Sheryl

SherylValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +27
    Experience:
    1 year
    I have had them in my 20 gallon community tank for a year. I bought 8 different
    varieties/colors, when Petco had them on sale which coincided with setting up my tank and ultimately stocking it. I did lose two at different times, but only after having them awhile. I have a few other kinds now as well and all is well. They are all similar in size and disposition, except the neons, who are smaller. I do not have fluorescent decor or substrata, but do have the combination regular and blue LED lighting. I can even cut off the regular light at night and enjoy the Glofish show. LOL All live in harmony and I LOVE all the different fish and colors in this tank. I have other tanks as well and they are all stocked differently. I am learning a lot about fishkeeping but still learning. THIS IS A VERY EXPENSIVE BUT SATISFYING HOBBY! Thanks for this forum and all the advice, info and intersting experiences I am seeing here!