Opinions On Glofish? - Page 3

THE HABITAT

Overpriced and would much rather have a specie with their natural colors...just my '02... no offense to owners of them of course

KaderTheAnt

The beginning is how I feel about glo fish

Cheesearmada

Ahh ok. The things that the aquarium hobby can do.

dansamy

I like them just fine. I prefer the more muted blue, purple and red instead of the orange, green and yellow.

Natalya

Ha ha ha, "you can't get rested because your whole body is glowing"...that's priceless

Dave125g

I really don't know why people say they look fake. They look perfectly natural to me.
367abfb0ce449df5162400fd1ee30eb1.jpg

RyanC14

I personally don't have a problem with the actual fish, but I dislike all of the items that the company produces for the fish (food, gravel, decor, lighting, etc) because they are all weird and neon-y, which I feel could maybe(?) stress the fish out.

BottomDweller

I agree the products that go with them are terrible. I don't have a problem with them. They're not my thing personally but I'd much rather people bought genetically modified fish than fish which have been injected wuth dye.

A201

Its all merchandising eye candy for beginners. I think that pretty much sums up the entire Glofish industry.

Iboughtmykidfish

I agree. I have no problem with the fish. I'm contemplating adding a few to my skirt tetra shoal just for fun. The decorations, however, I think are tacky, not to mention expensive. I feel like the whole setup is fine for a kids room or something, but personally I wouldn't want to look at one every day. As far as stress to the fish, I've never thought about it. I wonder if they even see the whole color spectrum.. Hmmm. I know it would stress me out though

Addie42

I guess it is the closest thing most people will get to owning jellyfish though
not sure what the market for jellyfish is like but if this stops people from owning jellyfish that shouldn't have them.... I think it's fine
gene editing... selective breeding... whatever. I think bubble eye goldfish are MUCH more cruel than glofish but no one seems to bring that up often

I think some glofish tanks are kind of not my style... but if it gets more people into this hobby, why not?

BRP

Just an interesting fact, in Germany and the Netherlands they are not allowed. I don’t know the reason and wonder if more European countries don’t allow them.

I have no problem with them though

Rtessy

I guess it is the closest thing most people will get to owning jellyfish though
not sure what the market for jellyfish is like but if this stops people from owning jellyfish that shouldn't have them.... I think it's fine
gene editing... selective breeding... whatever. I think bubble eye goldfish are MUCH more cruel than glofish but no one seems to bring that up often

I think some glofish tanks are kind of not my style... but if it gets more people into this hobby, why not?
I'm with you on that, can't stand bubble eye or celestial eye goldfish. At least glofish aren't hurt by their modification. They're pretty neat. Their coloration is a good alternative to killifish and peacock gudgeons and other colorful but sensitive fish.

goldface

They can look pretty cool in a planted tank. What I'm surpised about is why no one has done "GloFrogs". Seems like African Dwarf and Clawed Frogs would be great subjects for applying jellyfish gene.

Addie42

I'm with you on that, can't stand bubble eye or celestial eye goldfish. At least glofish aren't hurt by their modification. They're pretty neat. Their coloration is a good alternative to killifish and peacock gudgeons and other colorful but sensitive fish.

the deeper I get into liking goldfish the more I want a bubble eye... then I'm all like "what are you doing!!! You are a frequent *insert certain dog breed* complainer!!!"
it seems like a lot of things people just do to see if they can do it

They can look pretty cool in a planted tank. What I'm surpised about is why no one has done "GloFrogs". Seems like African Dwarf and Clawed Frogs would be great subjects for applying jellyfish gene.

that sounds SO cool
definitely interesting for kids

goldface

the deeper I get into liking goldfish the more I want a bubble eye... then I'm all like "what are you doing!!! You are a frequent *insert certain dog breed* complainer!!!"
it seems like a lot of things people just do to see if they can do it

that sounds SO cool
definitely interesting for kids
I can see the future already. Galactic Purple GloFrogs coming to chain store near you. Even I think that's cool, and frogs creep me out.

RyanC14

I'm curious why they haven't done GloGoldfish or GloBettas just because those fish are so popular. I think GloCorys would be cute though

goldface

Now you're making me wonder why there are no albino bettas and goldfish. I would love to get my hands on a albino Common Goldfish.

Rtessy

I'm curious why they haven't done GloGoldfish or GloBettas just because those fish are so popular. I think GloCorys would be cute though

Now you're making me wonder why there are no albino bettas and goldfish. I would love to get my hands on a albino Common Goldfish.
This is why I love this website... Everyone here is so creative!!

RainBetta

Glofish are hideous and unnatural imo. I'm not hating on the animals, just the idea overall! I'm sure all the fish have wonderful personalities

david1978

Just an interesting fact, in Germany and the Netherlands they are not allowed. I don’t know the reason and wonder if more European countries don’t allow them.

I have no problem with them though
They banned a lot of gmo stuff over there.

BRP

They banned a lot of gmo stuff over there.
Correct and I believe that was the reason.

lockedup

I do NOT like all the Glofish stuff that gets sold along with them.

Some of the specific Glofish look oddly creepy.
The ones that don't have black eyes in photos especially creep me out.
I'm not sure if they are all that way or not... I never stopped otlook at them in person.
When I look at a tank of all of them mixed up I don't like it at all because of the eyes.

I think if they get people into the hobby it's fine though.

I also am surprised they have not done this to other fish.
Especially Bettas since those are already so appearance oriented.

I could actually see adding a few of the more natural looking ones to my community for splash of color. I think under a normal light they would look fine.... ONLY if the eyes are actually black.

HookedOnAquariums

Gene editing is the future. But keep it in a lab.
I keep my fish to see how they would interact in nature (because I don't want to fly down to South America) and find that glofish are the opposite of how this hobby originated and got popular. Plus the majority go to beginners who don't know about the nitrogen cycle and die in days. A horrible existence for the fish and it puts the hobby in a bad, UV, light

lockedup

I keep my fish to see how they would interact in nature (because I don't want to fly down to South America) and find that glofish are the opposite of how this hobby originated and got popular. Plus the majority go to beginners who don't know about the nitrogen cycle and die in days. A horrible existence for the fish and it puts the hobby in a bad, UV, light
That could be any fish though (lack of nitrogen cycle knowledge).

I think shops should print up simple posters with pictures that at least explain the cycle.
I think a large number of people AND fish would benefit from that.

Bryangar

Imagine getting creeped out by a tiny pink fish LOL

SeanyBaggs123

I personally don't have a problem with the actual fish, but I dislike all of the items that the company produces for the fish (food, gravel, decor, lighting, etc) because they are all weird and neon-y, which I feel could maybe(?) stress the fish out.
3 of the Five fish I've lost were glofish. Nuff said.

MomeWrath

Nevermind that they are ridiculously expensive. $7-$9 for a white skirt tetra or a danio. Pleeeez.

lockedup

I remember when I was a kid and “Painted Glass Fish” were a thing.

Yes, I had some (I was 13).
I brought them home on my Schwinn.

I didn’t have a clue how they were “made” but they got me into the hobby.

Glofish at least seem humane. Kids DO like them. Not my kids of course... they want hard to keep stuff!

I actually kind of like some of the Glo Danios in photos. Will have to actually look at them in person. If they look plausibly realistic under a normal light I’d consider some.

Those pink tetras though... ewww.

Geoff

I have no issues with the Glofish. But today, I went into a LFS and saw painted glass catfish and fruit tetras. I turned around and walked right out.

windrunner9189

the production of glofish doesn't bother me, they're a GMO.

I just don't like the look of them, the ones with the colored "pupil" scare me. I don't really like the white skirts either. black skirts have to be one of my favorite looking fish, though.

Annie59

Actually there are glofrogs. I've seen them at a lfs.

goldface

Actually there are glofrogs. I've seen them at a lfs.
Could they have been dyed instead?

Annie59

Could they have been dyed instead?

Nope. They are bred just like the glofish using that jelly fish gene. Not clawed frogs but the dwarf frogs. Same color hue as the fish. You can google them and see photos.

I could be wrong but I don't think I am lol.

Just another edit, seems you are correct! I thought they told me they were like the glofish. Mmm learned something today.

I googled more lol.

goldface

Nope. They are bred just like the glofish using that jelly fish gene. Not clawed frogs but the dwarf frogs. Same color hue as the fish. You can google them and see photos.

I could be wrong but I don't think I am lol.

Just another edit, seems you are correct! I thought they told me they were like the glofish. Mmm learned something today.

I googled more lol.
Oh, okay. I was just about to tell you I couldn't find anything, lol.

Fishcat

I don’t mind glofish, but I don’t like the marketing - it treats them like colors and shapes to put with other colors and shapes, not like living animals. And the displays with all the colors together and the day-glo decorations and the color-changing lights give me headaches.

RelaxxBro

They just releasee glo bettas.

XYZ1234

Effectively, glofish are the kids toy of the fishkeeping industry. Colourful, flashy and enticing, but don’t last very long and are way overpriced. The similarities between glofish and kids toys are unbelievable, but people buy them because they look cool and are basically eye candy.

Brenden

Man, now that you mentioned that...that would probably make a lot more people interested in frogs if they did that.

I just don't know if it would be easily done. They mastered it for fish, but frogs are a whole different thing to tackle. Obviously, if it can't be done ethically don't do it at all. However I am kinda curious to see if they could...

Iboughtmykidfish

They just releasee glo bettas.
Where? There's nothing about it on the glofish website, or anywhere else that I can find.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
Leinalou
Replies
Views
yeti79
  • Question