Opinions On Glofish? - Page 3

david1978

BRP said:
Just an interesting fact, in Germany and the Netherlands they are not allowed. I don’t know the reason and wonder if more European countries don’t allow them.

I have no problem with them though
They banned a lot of gmo stuff over there.

BRP

david1978 said:
They banned a lot of gmo stuff over there.
Correct and I believe that was the reason.

lockedup

I do NOT like all the Glofish stuff that gets sold along with them.

Some of the specific Glofish look oddly creepy.
The ones that don't have black eyes in photos especially creep me out.
I'm not sure if they are all that way or not... I never stopped otlook at them in person.
When I look at a tank of all of them mixed up I don't like it at all because of the eyes.

I think if they get people into the hobby it's fine though.

I also am surprised they have not done this to other fish.
Especially Bettas since those are already so appearance oriented.

I could actually see adding a few of the more natural looking ones to my community for splash of color. I think under a normal light they would look fine.... ONLY if the eyes are actually black.

HookedOnAquariums

Gene editing is the future. But keep it in a lab.
I keep my fish to see how they would interact in nature (because I don't want to fly down to South America) and find that glofish are the opposite of how this hobby originated and got popular. Plus the majority go to beginners who don't know about the nitrogen cycle and die in days. A horrible existence for the fish and it puts the hobby in a bad, UV, light

lockedup

HookedOnAquariums said:
I keep my fish to see how they would interact in nature (because I don't want to fly down to South America) and find that glofish are the opposite of how this hobby originated and got popular. Plus the majority go to beginners who don't know about the nitrogen cycle and die in days. A horrible existence for the fish and it puts the hobby in a bad, UV, light
That could be any fish though (lack of nitrogen cycle knowledge).

I think shops should print up simple posters with pictures that at least explain the cycle.
I think a large number of people AND fish would benefit from that.

Bryangar

Imagine getting creeped out by a tiny pink fish LOL

SeanyBaggs123

RyanC14 said:
I personally don't have a problem with the actual fish, but I dislike all of the items that the company produces for the fish (food, gravel, decor, lighting, etc) because they are all weird and neon-y, which I feel could maybe(?) stress the fish out.
3 of the Five fish I've lost were glofish. Nuff said.

MomeWrath

HookedOnAquariums said:
Nevermind that they are ridiculously expensive. $7-$9 for a white skirt tetra or a danio. Pleeeez.

lockedup

I remember when I was a kid and “Painted Glass Fish” were a thing.

Yes, I had some (I was 13).
I brought them home on my Schwinn.

I didn’t have a clue how they were “made” but they got me into the hobby.

Glofish at least seem humane. Kids DO like them. Not my kids of course... they want hard to keep stuff!

I actually kind of like some of the Glo Danios in photos. Will have to actually look at them in person. If they look plausibly realistic under a normal light I’d consider some.

Those pink tetras though... ewww.

Geoff

I have no issues with the Glofish. But today, I went into a LFS and saw painted glass catfish and fruit tetras. I turned around and walked right out.

windrunner9189

the production of glofish doesn't bother me, they're a GMO.

I just don't like the look of them, the ones with the colored "pupil" scare me. I don't really like the white skirts either. black skirts have to be one of my favorite looking fish, though.

Annie59

scarface said:
They can look pretty cool in a planted tank. What I'm surpised about is why no one has done "GloFrogs". Seems like African Dwarf and Clawed Frogs would be great subjects for applying jellyfish gene.
Actually there are glofrogs. I've seen them at a lfs.

goldface

Annie59 said:
Actually there are glofrogs. I've seen them at a lfs.
Could they have been dyed instead?

Annie59

scarface said:
Could they have been dyed instead?
Nope. They are bred just like the glofish using that jelly fish gene. Not clawed frogs but the dwarf frogs. Same color hue as the fish. You can google them and see photos.

I could be wrong but I don't think I am lol.

Just another edit, seems you are correct! I thought they told me they were like the glofish. Mmm learned something today.

I googled more lol.

goldface

Annie59 said:
Nope. They are bred just like the glofish using that jelly fish gene. Not clawed frogs but the dwarf frogs. Same color hue as the fish. You can google them and see photos.

I could be wrong but I don't think I am lol.

Just another edit, seems you are correct! I thought they told me they were like the glofish. Mmm learned something today.

I googled more lol.
Oh, okay. I was just about to tell you I couldn't find anything, lol.

Fishcat

I don’t mind glofish, but I don’t like the marketing - it treats them like colors and shapes to put with other colors and shapes, not like living animals. And the displays with all the colors together and the day-glo decorations and the color-changing lights give me headaches.

RelaxxBro

RyanC14 said:
I'm curious why they haven't done GloGoldfish or GloBettas just because those fish are so popular. I think GloCorys would be cute though
They just releasee glo bettas.

XYZ1234

Effectively, glofish are the kids toy of the fishkeeping industry. Colourful, flashy and enticing, but don’t last very long and are way overpriced. The similarities between glofish and kids toys are unbelievable, but people buy them because they look cool and are basically eye candy.

Brenden

scarface said:
They can look pretty cool in a planted tank. What I'm surpised about is why no one has done "GloFrogs". Seems like African Dwarf and Clawed Frogs would be great subjects for applying jellyfish gene.
Man, now that you mentioned that...that would probably make a lot more people interested in frogs if they did that.

I just don't know if it would be easily done. They mastered it for fish, but frogs are a whole different thing to tackle. Obviously, if it can't be done ethically don't do it at all. However I am kinda curious to see if they could...

Iboughtmykidfish

RelaxxBro said:
They just releasee glo bettas.
Where? There's nothing about it on the glofish website, or anywhere else that I can find.

MomeWrath

I saw that on facebook yesterday too. I think it's a hoax, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are working that angle. I can't imagine that they would have a big display in a store and nothing on their website.

To be fair, I just went to their website and read the GloFish care page. It's actually pretty good. They talk about cycling, not overfeeding, temp range, keeping the tetras and barbs especially in schools (although I think the danios should be included in that). On the other hand, with all of that good advice, it seems hypocritical that they then turn around and sell GloFish Kits in 3 and 5 gallon sizes.

Iboughtmykidfish

Magicpenny75 said:
I saw that on facebook yesterday too. I think it's a hoax, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are working that angle. I can't imagine that they would have a big display in a store and nothing on their website.

To be fair, I just went to their website and read the GloFish care page. It's actually pretty good. They talk about cycling, not overfeeding, temp range, keeping the tetras and barbs especially in schools (although I think the danios should be included in that). On the other hand, with all of that good advice, it seems hypocritical that they then turn around and sell GloFish Kits in 3 and 5 gallon sizes.
Just found it on facebook. Pic says coming February of 2020. I messaged glofish, will report back when/if I get a reply. Gotta say though, the of a bright green glowing betta, with green eyes, is.. Unsettling, at least imo.

Crispii

Iboughtmykidfish said:
Just found it on facebook. Pic says coming February of 2020. I messaged glofish, will report back when/if I get a reply. Gotta say though, the of a bright green glowing betta, with green eyes, is.. Unsettling, at least imo.
Link?

MomeWrath

Crispii said:
The one I saw anyway was supposedly a photo someone took of a display in a store that was advertising it...

Iboughtmykidfish

Dch48

I don't like it. The GloFish we already have are a lot less hardy than their normal counterparts. We don't need to be doing it to Bettas too. They are beautiful just the way they are.

Iboughtmykidfish

Just got a reply from glofish. Direct quote:

"Thank you for writing us today. Yes, it is actually true! We released the launch date at Superzoo this week. Although I must say the real fish are much, much prettier!

Barbara L.
GloFish"

The picture she is referring to is the one I linked earlier, and I did go ahead and ask why they sell the small kits, when they know they're not appropriate for the fish they sell. I was polite, and now I'm curious to see what they say.

JessicaSwanlake

Iboughtmykidfish said:
Just got a reply from glofish. Direct quote:

"Thank you for writing us today. Yes, it is actually true! We released the launch date at Superzoo this week. Although I must say the real fish are much, much prettier!

Barbara L.
GloFish"

The picture she is referring to is the one I linked earlier, and I did go ahead and ask why they sell the small kits, when they know they're not appropriate for the fish they sell. I was polite, and now I'm curious to see what they say.
They must be pretty confident about getting approved by the FDA then, since from what I just read online they don't have the green light yet and it usually takes months/years. I wonder how much the bribes will be to get it passed by their deadline, lol.

angelcraze

Dch48 said:
I don't like it. The GloFish we already have are a lot less hardy than their normal counterparts. We don't need to be doing it to Bettas too. They are beautiful just the way they are.
If GMO fish aren't as hardy or longlived as non-GMO fish of the same species, I'm not ok with it. I really don't know much about them, but when I saw them at PetSmart, my hubby (who has no interest in my fish tanks whatsoever) was enthralled by them lol. Well, I thought he was...... he was actually looking at the fluorescent scuba diver decoration! He's such a kid!

bizaliz3

Iboughtmykidfish said:
B&B Pet Stop
My God!!! Bettas already come in so many stunning colors!!! What is the purpose???That fish is just plain UGLY.

angelcraze

bizaliz3 said:
My God!!! Bettas already come in so many stunning colors!!! What is the purpose???That fish is just plain UGLY.
Yea just checked out the link......gah they are hideous! Smh.

bizaliz3

angelcraze said:
Yea just checked out the link......gah they are hideous! Smh.
I just don't get the thought process!! Bettas are literally the most colorful freshwater fish that exists!!! And they come in sooooo many amazing color combinations! Its practically endless!

I thought the purpose of glofish was to make more "Drab" fish look more exciting and colorful. But a betta???? Really???? It makes absolutely NO SENSE.

I guess the one upside to doing it with bettas is that they would be the ONLY glofish that belong in the 5-10 gallon glofish tanks that are most available in the stores.

angelcraze

bizaliz3 said:
I just don't get the thought process!! Bettas are literally the most colorful freshwater fish that exists!!! And they come in sooooo many amazing color combinations! Its practically endless!

I thought the purpose of glofish was to make more "Drab" fish look more exciting and colorful. But a betta???? Really???? It makes absolutely NO SENSE.

I guess the one upside to doing it with bettas is that they would be the ONLY glofish that belong in the 5-10 gallon glofish tanks that are most available in the stores.
Still if GMOing compromises their health or longevity, I'm disgusted with it.

bizaliz3

angelcraze said:
Well that too of course!! LOL

I hate them regardless. All of them.

goldface

angelcraze said:
So does linebreeding. All those goldfish and betta emergency threads are almost always the result of linebreeding to create those fancy, desirable traits.

bizaliz3

scarface said:
So does linebreeding. All those goldfish and betta emergency threads are almost always the result of linebreeding to create those fancy, desirable traits.
Wild bettas are absolutely stunning and no line breeding was needed there. Just sayin! Lol

I do agree with you though. But I still prefer the idea of linebreeding rather than using unnatural methods. As long as the linebreeding is done responsibly.

nikm128

The skirt tetras that are gloifiied I think look alright, the danios are ok too. I think the glo'd up rainbow sharks are interesting but kind of ugly IMO. For the most part I don't mind the fish, but the marketing is just ridiculous. They're aimed at 4-11 year olds that don't know any better, then there's "glofish flakes" "glofish gravel" "glofish decorations" you need all of these and you "need" a special light to make them look right (even though they look pretty good in normal white lights too). The real kicker? We're going to sell you a "glofish tank" that is miles too small for the fish we're marketing for that tank.
Oh, and the glo bettas, those are just ugly.

Dch48

The people at that B&B place say that the Glo Bettas will cost $30 and they deny that the current GloFish are less hardy than the regular types.

angelcraze

scarface said:
I'm not into linebreedding myself, but realize a lot of the fancy strains already are or have a limited gene pool. That's why I stray away from fancy strains now that I'm older in the hobby. And I agree with bizaliz3, it can be done responsibly OR with no regard for inbreeding. I avoid those breeders with a ten foot pole.

Zong

Other than people not knowing how to take care of fish properly and killing off the little glow guys is there hard evidence of These fish being less hardy than their none modified counterparts. Would like to know. And saying they are just for kids and noods forget about it. I’m setting up a 40 gal breeder glow tank, none of that plastic stuff but real life plants. I’m getting pretty excited about doing it and I’m 42. Mind you though I stayed up last night binge watching invader zI'm cartoons.

AllThumbs

I lovvve my glofishes. I have 3 red and 3 yellow tiger barbs in my front planted tank, and they really pop amongst my other community fish. Regular white skirt tetras look awesome with them. It looks so beautiful at night with the non-glofish-brand lights I got cheap from amazon. In one of my planted tanks in the back, my barb tank, I have 3 red tiger barbs (need to fill school, I know) kind of as the centerpiece of the tank w/ my other barbs, and I adoooooooooore the little pink rainbow sharks. I have one in this back tank, so it doesn't benefit from the blue lights, but I love to watch him in the daytime. He's like a pink submarine I'd like to put him in the front tank, but there's already a HUGE rainbow shark in there and I don't want to move him, cuz he's still shy and just now coming out/exploring.

I have a glofish tank that I'm using as a qt at the second, but it's a buncha glowy silicone stuff and some artificial plants I got from a fb group. I did have a couple goldfish in there, but the tank was too small for them. Not sure who I'm going to put in there yet. I didn't really think I'd like it that much, cuz I love the natural planted tanks so much, but my daughter got me a couple of pieces, and I fell in love w/ them in that tank, so added more. It looks very "candy." I was thinking about putting all white/albino fish in there.

Stellar

I have 5 with a couple catfish in my heavily planted tank.

I have a lighted bubbler strip that makes it seem like a fish race. Might be tacky, but I don't care. (Yes, I have neon and black gravel to boot. )

My kiddo (3 yo) likes to point and tell me the colors. It's pretty cute, I assure you.)

The first batch I got had a few that didn't make it. I think the genetic engineering and the popular retailer didn't do them any favors.

Akarri

I'm glad to see what people are so accepting of glofish here. They were my intro into fish keeping but I went straight to the natural tank decorations and skipped on all of the tacky stuff they often throw in with them.
I was never sure if they were looked down on for being genetically modified, and almost felt embarrassed about having them. Glad I don't have to worry about that!
I have six glofish skirt tetras that I've had for almost two years now! Once I can afford a bigger tank, I'm going to get some black and white skirts to mix in with them. Very exciting.

wolfdog01

I have no issues with Glofish, they're just modified fish. But the products they sell and the people who just want them as eye candy makes me mad. I've had to tell so many customers that the Glofish tanks are a scam. Plus the fish themselves are really expensive. They're kinda cool, I guess, but I would never buy them.
As for painted or jellybean fish, I hate those with a burning passion and my favorite fish store sadly sells them. Every time a customer calls a glofish a painted one, I always correct them and vice versa.
I'll probably end up buying a glofish betta just because it might be kinda cool.

Stellar

I know they market them for how they look under black light, but I use my normal lights. They're colorful and lovely still. I read black light ruins their eyes, plus since my tank is heavily planted, I need my usual lights.

I had no idea there were glo fish bettas.

Dch48

I just like things as natural as possible. Yes I know my Betta and my Guppies look very different from their wild cousins but hey, every breed of dog in the world was created by us through selective breeding as well. I'm okay with that but infusing the genes of one organism into another one is an entirely different story. It's better than injecting dye but not by much in my opinion. These fish originally had a use in science but once the commercial interest was discovered, things changed. What if they infused octopus genes into dog embryos and wound up with 8 legged Chihuahuas? Would that be okay?

I don't even like tank decorations that don't look natural. Like skulls, buildings, signs, boats, bridges, statues, cartoon characters, bubbling wheels or shells, etc. It's just natural looking things like rocks and wood and of course, real plants. I like my tank to look like an environment the inhabitants might actually be found in. No fluorescent decorations, black lights, or glowing fish for me. The lights on 2 of my tanks can change colors and automatically go through the spectrum. No thanks. I keep them on bright white all the time.

chromedome52

I had a pair of Glofish Danios shortly after they were first released into the hobby. Before some people faint from shock, I didn't buy them. They were a raffle prize at a club meeting, and I only kept them because I was curious. The first ones they released were red. I'd bred Zebra Danios before, and I wondered if these would breed as easily.

I put them in an unheated 10 gallon tank on a bottom shelf (average temp about 68 F). There was a bunch of Najas/Guppy Grass in the tank, as always. I fed flake food and sometimes a little live bbs. Basically I ignored them, didn't do water changes, and was waiting for a breeding tank to be available to try them. About 4-6 weeks after I got them, I looked in the tank and saw some tiny red slivers swimming around in the weeds. They had spawned in that tank, and there were maybe 20-25 fry swimming around, all of which grew up right there. Never got full size, of course. I was also curious if they would make better feeders than Guppies for some of my Pike Cichlids. They were apparently equally tasty to the Pikes.

One thing I noticed, as the water got "older" and a little more polluted, the red shone brighter. This was what it was designed for, to act as a warning signal by getting brighter when conditions deteriorated. Didn't stop them from breeding, pretty much like any Zebra Danio.

I don't really see the purpose in coloring fish that already have a great deal of color, such as Bettas. Convicts made sense, but Tiger Barbs did not. Angelfish already have plenty of variety, so I'm not so crazy about that one.

I'd say the reason Glofish seem to be weaker is because most of the people buying them are not experienced aquarists. Novices are going to make mistakes, so more fish are likely to die. Could say the same thing about Bettas or Goldfish.

nikm128

Zong said:
And saying they are just for kids and noods forget about it. I’m setting up a 40 gal breeder glow tank, none of that plastic stuff but real life plants. I’m getting pretty excited about doing it and I’m 42. Mind you though I stayed up last night binge watching invader zI'm cartoons.
I didn't exactly mean they're only for kids, I meant they're heavily marketed towards kids since they can't see through it all. They don't know that those lights and decorations aren't needed. You on the other hand, do know that none of that is needed.

Dch48

The original ones bred for detection of water quality were green and were Danios. The other colors came later.

chromedome52

Dch48 said:
The original ones bred for detection of water quality were green and were Danios. The other colors came later.
When they were first released to the hobby, they bred the only color they had: red, not green. That's what I had, a very short time after they released them. They were red because it is a much more visible color.

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom