Opinions On Glofish? - Page 2

realJZombie

From my own experience, I would recommend purchasing directly from the Glofish farm. The quality of fish I purchased direct from their website was top notch compared to what I was getting from the local pet shop. All my tetras arrived healthy and are doing well 2 months later.

mommabeans

They are expensive at 8 dollars plus change for the Tetras. However, we love them, have one of each available color. We do not have the barbs or danios. We have 6 in a ten gallon, and although many have argued that that's too much for a ten gallon, ours have done VERY well over the last year. We tried danios and barbs but to be honest, most stores sell juvenile fish, and they just kept getting sucked into the filter. Id wake up and find yet another stuck to the intake. The tetras had no such problem and they were yougins too (all have grown a lot in the last year) so I could only assume that they just weren't strong enough. They were either already sick or just too little to handle the flow of my filter which is rated for 10 to 15 gallons. So, no more of that. We only feed our fish every other day and admittedly sometimes we can go several days without feeding them. And as I've said, they've done VERY well.

Kasshan

In the end the benefit will be a hook into the hobby, drooling over "shiny". Another benefit maybe if fish are grown in lab type farms under strict govt regulation the demand to legally poach (there is no such thing as sustainable harvest). I digress, but I luv GMOs like glofish and genetic hybrids like Parrots and flower horns because the genome can be used as genetic bank for the origin species.
I can't wait for the day we can grow phish efficiently in a lab so we finally stop devastating our reefs and rivers. Has no one seen star iv the voyage home? Plus replicating matter is awesome. Imagine feeding a gmo bacteria the raw materials to create meat as a byproduct, lol I'll have an order of protein supplement #15 please

shiv234

ginkgo505 said:
You know the ones- genetically modified to "glo" under a black light, and omnipresent in chain pet stores. Personally, I find them a bit creepy and unnatural. What's your opinion on them?
they remind me of nickI minaj

Cheesearmada

They are rather unattractive.

toolman

Just something about keeping fish with unatural color.

Books&Fish

I started my aquarium hobby by buying a group of glo danios for the kids, after I read all about their history. After learning quickly about the nitrogen cycle, and losing a second batch of glo danios, I steered toward more natural fish. Even with black/beige gravel and a few cheesy ornaments, the glo coloration was just too fake for me.

I changed my tanks over to fully natural: stones, sand, driftwood, and natural-colored fish only. Kids don't seem to like the "real" danios any less than the previous glo ones.

toolman

Many colorful fish, doing a lot of rearanging/resealing in my 4 tanks now but going to stock my 75 gallon tank with bosemanI and turquoise rainbows tp go with some koi sanke swordtails.

Oh and mystery snails, my friend breeds the purple ones.

Dave125g

Kasshan said:
In the end the benefit will be a hook into the hobby, drooling over "shiny". Another benefit maybe if fish are grown in lab type farms under strict govt regulation the demand to legally poach (there is no such thing as sustainable harvest). I digress, but I luv GMOs like glofish and genetic hybrids like Parrots and flower horns because the genome can be used as genetic bank for the origin species.
I can't wait for the day we can grow phish efficiently in a lab so we finally stop devastating our reefs and rivers. Has no one seen star iv the voyage home? Plus replicating matter is awesome. Imagine feeding a gmo bacteria the raw materials to create meat as a byproduct, lol I'll have an order of protein supplement #15 please
Yes without the humpbacked whale that probe would have destroyed the earth.

Prism

Why does everybody say they are expensive?
I got my very healthy ones at petco, I don't remember the exact price.
They were not over 2$.

Dave125g

Prism said:
Why does everybody say they are expensive?
I got my very healthy ones at petco, I don't remember the exact price.
They were not over 2$.
Wow lucky deal. I pay 9 for mine. For comparison a black skirt is 2 bucks.

KaderTheAnt

Honestly (and no offense to anyone that likes them in advance) but......

I think they're an unnatural eye sore that should've have existed in the first place .

Now I know I may sound harsh, but here's where I'm coming from. Humans shouldn't mess with nature. Line breeding is okay, because you're not physically injecting characteristics into a fish but are instead breeding to exploit a characteristic the fish already has. I love natural looking fish. Nature bred fish to look a certain way for a reason. When I create a tank, I try my best to make it as natural as I can for my fish, but if my fish themselves don't look natural, it's harder to do so. And if you're going for a natural looking tank you don't want fish that look like (as another member mentioned) plastic. These fish look more like ornaments to be put on display than actual living creatures. And the fact that these eyesores cost more than their natural counterparts is straight outrageous.

But theirs my two centsonce again, sorry if you're a fan of these fish and see nothing wrong with them, sorry if I offended you.

Dave125g

Salt water tanks have these bright vividly colored fish. There all natural. We just can't get that kind of color in a fresh water aquarium. Glow fish may look fake to some, to me salt water fish look fake too.

Wraithen

Kasshan said:
I guess it's past the point of putting a lid on it and keeping it trademarked. I am personally pleased by this, because I love science and I love it when roadblocks are removed. at this point the ratio of cost/novelty is not good enough for me right now, in the back of my mind I would be saying to myself "I'm paying $10 premium novelty for a common 50¢ retail fish that scientists deem disposable lab animals".
unless I create some themed tank when I finally own a home and can put themes in every room. although the UV light on all the time can have consequences. I would probably put these guys in a custom tank in the bathroom. so the UV light will only in when the bathroom is in use.
The uv light isn't required to see them brightly colored, it's a display to get you to buy them.

Technically they're trademarked and sterilized. As any salmon fisherman can tell you that's fished man recreated salmon run rivers will tell you though, fish get missed all the time. Technically speaking, if anyone wants to sell the fry they'd legally need permission to do so.

I started out in this hobby with a bunch of them for my daughter. After learning the tank I got was too small and everything else involved I went another direction. I started with the glofish, then whatever I thought looked cool and would be a good fit, and now I'm heading more towards a biotope. Can't say I'm a fan of any one direction anymore. I think they're a great idea for anyone that wants them. Most of the time when I see their non modified brethren for sale, there's a lot of humpbacks and other issues plaguing them, haven't seen it nearly as much in the glofish.

NavigatorBlack

Kasshan said:
they are spliced with jellyfish bioluminescent genes. also they are a propriety product and so therefore sterile, anyone who claims they successfully spawned them is more than likely lying. 16 yrs ago after stumbling across them in a science article, I wanted to get them as a novelty from a lab in MN or some near state I can't recall, but they were illegal at the time in CA. but now that ive matured there are better novelties than tacky engineered freaks under a UV light that will burn the retinas out of the fish, I prefer mutant freaks derived thru good aqua-husbandry like electric blue fish.
The glo danios were engineered for water pollution studies. The glo tetras, barbs and longfin danios were produced solely for the aquarium trade.

They're illegal to sell here, but one of the local stores got a bag 'generously' substituting for what they'd wanted, from Indonesia. They weakened and sold them quickly for $1.49 without getting caught, and a local guy thought he'd get rich breeding them. They bred like ordinary zebra danios. And no one bought them.

A lot of countries have GMO bans and that is a quandary for laboratory fish engineers, who now have to keep their craft secret or lose market access. Did anyone else notice that almost all the electric blue fish appeared at the same time (gouramis, dempsies and others) and no breeder has taken the credit for these amazing linebreeding feats? Yeah right.

Me, I think they take different fish and make them all look the same. I would never buy one. They are mass produced ornaments, and are very shiny. I'm interested in evolution and fish habitat, and petrie dishes are boring habitats to see results from. Streams are more intriguing.
They aren't as bad as some of the hormone bathed gouramis that lose that jumped up colour a few months after purchase, or slime stripped dyed fish, or hypodermically injected dyed glass fish, or gouramis you can get your name written on with a needle (I saw Valentine's hearts dye needle carved into kissing gouramis in Maine last February), or any of the other terrible things the worst of the industrial fishfarms sell.

They sell well. I just see a correlation between the sales of modified, made for the trade fish like glo-fish, blood parrots, flowerhorns, electric blues and balloon deformities, and the reduction in choices offered by the chains. There used to be so many beautiful tetras and rasboras in ordinary shops, but now, every chain tank has the same number of dirt cheap to buy for them, expensive for us frankenfish. That shipment the local shop got and sold for $1.49? They told me they made a small profit at that price. You are paying $10 for them, right?
By reducing access to natural diversity, I think the engineered fish hurt the hobby.

You might enjoy this article...

SegiDream

Just have to add my 2 cents. Maybe you can't get freshwater fish that are naturally bright like glofish... but there are some truly beautifully colored freshwater fish out there. I like the natural look and just a splash of color in a natural styled tank is more beautiful with it's subtlety. Plus there is some peace of mind that hopefully the non-gmo fish will live better lives. I suffer occasional headaches/migraines and the glofish in store with the lights and black substrate in high contrast, I can feel the start of a migraine just by seeing them like that... perhaps that is another factor that turns people away from them.

toolman

NavigatorBlack said:
The glo danios were engineered for water pollution studies. The glo tetras, barbs and longfin danios were produced solely for the aquarium trade.

They're illegal to sell here, but one of the local stores got a bag 'generously' substituting for what they'd wanted, from Indonesia. They weakened and sold them quickly for $1.49 without getting caught, and a local guy thought he'd get rich breeding them. They bred like ordinary zebra danios. And no one bought them.

A lot of countries have GMO bans and that is a quandary for laboratory fish engineers, who now have to keep their craft secret or lose market access. Did anyone else notice that almost all the electric blue fish appeared at the same time (gouramis, dempsies and others) and no breeder has taken the credit for these amazing linebreeding feats? Yeah right.

Me, I think they take different fish and make them all look the same. I would never buy one. They are mass produced ornaments, and are very shiny. I'm interested in evolution and fish habitat, and petrie dishes are boring habitats to see results from. Streams are more intriguing.
They aren't as bad as some of the hormone bathed gouramis that lose that jumped up colour a few months after purchase, or slime stripped dyed fish, or hypodermically injected dyed glass fish, or gouramis you can get your name written on with a needle (I saw Valentine's hearts dye needle carved into kissing gouramis in Maine last February), or any of the other terrible things the worst of the industrial fishfarms sell.

They sell well. I just see a correlation between the sales of modified, made for the trade fish like glo-fish, blood parrots, flowerhorns, electric blues and balloon deformities, and the reduction in choices offered by the chains. There used to be so many beautiful tetras and rasboras in ordinary shops, but now, every chain tank has the same number of dirt cheap to buy for them, expensive for us frankenfish. That shipment the local shop got and sold for $1.49? They told me they made a small profit at that price. You are paying $10 for them, right?
By reducing access to natural diversity, I think the engineered fish hurt the hobby.

You might enjoy this article...

I love your point of view and agree wholeheartedly. When I first got on FishLore someone pointed out they loved your posts, and although I can't remember who I must agree. Love following you, you always have a thought provoking,level headed, informative, and mature point of view.

jmaldo

Just not for me. But every LFS has them for sale. I can appreciate the fascination the kids have for them. But... Different fish for Different folks. I guess.

BluMan1914

NavigatorBlack said:
(I saw Valentine's hearts dye needle carved into kissing gouramis
What's worse is seeing Bleeding Heart Tetras with red hearts tattooed on them. They were popular around Valentine's day. I haven't seen them in awhile, and hope that I never do. For the most part I haven't seen Bleeding Hearts in awhile.
I absolutely hate anything Glofish. Especially hated the Colored Glass Fish, and Catfish. The colors would always fade or flake off.

Natalya

I might not like them, but I sure hope one day they can inject a gene into me that corrects my arthritis...goodish are a step in that direction

NavigatorBlack

Natalya said:
I might not like them, but I sure hope one day they can inject a gene into me that corrects my arthritis...goodish are a step in that direction
I don't think it connects. I am not against gene splicing. A relative of mine worked for several years as both a danio and a mouse designer. He produced animals designed for cancer research - and thinks my danios when we were kids were not an inspiration.
Glo-danios were a water quality 'product'. The glo-cats I linked to were designed for HIV research. But glofish were rapidly exploited for commercial reasons, with no scientific application. I've often wondered if they are bred in places that have copyright laws that allow them to evade the original patent. I never cared enough about them to check - someone else might find that interesting.

I hope they find that therapy too Natalya, even if it wouldn't affect me yet.

Piaelliott

BluMan1914 said:
What's worse is seeing Bleeding Heart Tetras with red hearts tattooed on them. They were popular around Valentine's day. I haven't seen them in awhile, and hope that I never do. For the most part I haven't seen Bleeding Hearts in awhile.
I absolutely hate anything Glofish. Especially hated the Colored Glass Fish, and Catfish. The colors would always fade or flake off.
Woah, that is just sick. I hope I'll never see a tattooed fish. It creeps me out what people do to perfectly fine fish. I would probably boycott that store or make a my opinion known.

Quiche

I used to like Glofish, but my tank has since changed to a more natural theme. I think they're okay- they are gateway fish for the aquarium hobby, and younger kids might take interest. Also, if someone wants a neon green/pink/purple fish, I'd much rather they buy a Glofish that a dyed or injected fish. At least Glofish didn't have to go through any pain to get their colors.

Natalya

NavigatorBlack said:
I don't think it connects. I am not against gene splicing. A relative of mine worked for several years as both a danio and a mouse designer. He produced animals designed for cancer research - and thinks my danios when we were kids were not an inspiration.
Glo-danios were a water quality 'product'. The glo-cats I linked to were designed for HIV research. But glofish were rapidly exploited for commercial reasons, with no scientific application. I've often wondered if they are bred in places that have copyright laws that allow them to evade the original patent. I never cared enough about them to check - someone else might find that interesting.

I hope they find that therapy too Natalya, even if it wouldn't affect me yet.
I know, commercialization of it really sucks. Unfortunately, such is the society we live in, everything and anything will be commercialized. Not the best example, but remember that guy who hiked the price of HIV medication 1000% or something...to make profit of dying people? Musk, was it his name. I am not against gene manipulation itself, I am a molecular biologist myself and I know it will eventually save babies born with horrible diseases and such.

SegiDream

Natalya said:
I honestly don't know if they will ever be able to come up with a simple solution through gene manipulation. For example genes that help prevent HIV-like infections cause the body to be more susceptible to auto-immune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis. Without that genetic trait then it is vice versa. I feel that we can reduce the occurence of many diseases with a natural balanced diet, activity, reduced stress, and balanced hormones. Much like with fish, when the basic things are out of whack you get more problems.

Natalya

SegiDream said:
I honestly don't know if they will ever be able to come up with a simple solution through gene manipulation. For example genes that help prevent HIV-like infections cause the body to be more susceptible to auto-immune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis. Without that genetic trait then it is vice versa. I feel that we can reduce the occurence of many diseases with a natural balanced diet, activity, reduced stress, and balanced hormones. Much like with fish, when the basic things are out of whack you get more problems.
For sure many things could be managed like this, but not cases when a baby is born with only one heart chamber or without skin

SegiDream

I wasn't talking about babies born with fatal conditions. Not going to delve into that discussion sorry.

Natalya

SegiDream said:
I wasn't talking about babies born with fatal conditions. Not going to delve into that discussion sorry.
Then I agree with you

Cheesearmada

Just wanted to ask, how did we go from glofish to babies with fatal conditions?

Dave125g

Cheesearmada said:
Just wanted to ask, how did we go from glofish to babies with fatal conditions?
Glow fish are gene spliced. There are those who say gene splicing is wrong, but if gene splicing can help with genetic illnesses or birth defects its a good thing. I think that's how it got there.

THE HABITAT

Overpriced and would much rather have a specie with their natural colors...just my '02... no offense to owners of them of course

KaderTheAnt

The beginning is how I feel about glo fish

Cheesearmada

Ahh ok. The things that the aquarium hobby can do.

dansamy

I like them just fine. I prefer the more muted blue, purple and red instead of the orange, green and yellow.

Natalya

Ha ha ha, "you can't get rested because your whole body is glowing"...that's priceless

Dave125g

I really don't know why people say they look fake. They look perfectly natural to me.
367abfb0ce449df5162400fd1ee30eb1.jpg

RyanC14

I personally don't have a problem with the actual fish, but I dislike all of the items that the company produces for the fish (food, gravel, decor, lighting, etc) because they are all weird and neon-y, which I feel could maybe(?) stress the fish out.

BottomDweller

I agree the products that go with them are terrible. I don't have a problem with them. They're not my thing personally but I'd much rather people bought genetically modified fish than fish which have been injected wuth dye.

A201

Its all merchandising eye candy for beginners. I think that pretty much sums up the entire Glofish industry.

Iboughtmykidfish

I agree. I have no problem with the fish. I'm contemplating adding a few to my skirt tetra shoal just for fun. The decorations, however, I think are tacky, not to mention expensive. I feel like the whole setup is fine for a kids room or something, but personally I wouldn't want to look at one every day. As far as stress to the fish, I've never thought about it. I wonder if they even see the whole color spectrum.. Hmmm. I know it would stress me out though

Addie42

I guess it is the closest thing most people will get to owning jellyfish though
not sure what the market for jellyfish is like but if this stops people from owning jellyfish that shouldn't have them.... I think it's fine
gene editing... selective breeding... whatever. I think bubble eye goldfish are MUCH more cruel than glofish but no one seems to bring that up often

I think some glofish tanks are kind of not my style... but if it gets more people into this hobby, why not?

BRP

Just an interesting fact, in Germany and the Netherlands they are not allowed. I don’t know the reason and wonder if more European countries don’t allow them.

I have no problem with them though

Rtessy

Addie42 said:
I guess it is the closest thing most people will get to owning jellyfish though
not sure what the market for jellyfish is like but if this stops people from owning jellyfish that shouldn't have them.... I think it's fine
gene editing... selective breeding... whatever. I think bubble eye goldfish are MUCH more cruel than glofish but no one seems to bring that up often

I think some glofish tanks are kind of not my style... but if it gets more people into this hobby, why not?
I'm with you on that, can't stand bubble eye or celestial eye goldfish. At least glofish aren't hurt by their modification. They're pretty neat. Their coloration is a good alternative to killifish and peacock gudgeons and other colorful but sensitive fish.

goldface

They can look pretty cool in a planted tank. What I'm surpised about is why no one has done "GloFrogs". Seems like African Dwarf and Clawed Frogs would be great subjects for applying jellyfish gene.

Addie42

Rtessy said:
I'm with you on that, can't stand bubble eye or celestial eye goldfish. At least glofish aren't hurt by their modification. They're pretty neat. Their coloration is a good alternative to killifish and peacock gudgeons and other colorful but sensitive fish.
the deeper I get into liking goldfish the more I want a bubble eye... then I'm all like "what are you doing!!! You are a frequent *insert certain dog breed* complainer!!!"
it seems like a lot of things people just do to see if they can do it

scarface said:
They can look pretty cool in a planted tank. What I'm surpised about is why no one has done "GloFrogs". Seems like African Dwarf and Clawed Frogs would be great subjects for applying jellyfish gene.
that sounds SO cool
definitely interesting for kids

goldface

Addie42 said:
the deeper I get into liking goldfish the more I want a bubble eye... then I'm all like "what are you doing!!! You are a frequent *insert certain dog breed* complainer!!!"
it seems like a lot of things people just do to see if they can do it

that sounds SO cool
definitely interesting for kids
I can see the future already. Galactic Purple GloFrogs coming to chain store near you. Even I think that's cool, and frogs creep me out.

RyanC14

I'm curious why they haven't done GloGoldfish or GloBettas just because those fish are so popular. I think GloCorys would be cute though

goldface

Now you're making me wonder why there are no albino bettas and goldfish. I would love to get my hands on a albino Common Goldfish.

Rtessy

RyanC14 said:
I'm curious why they haven't done GloGoldfish or GloBettas just because those fish are so popular. I think GloCorys would be cute though
scarface said:
Now you're making me wonder why there are no albino bettas and goldfish. I would love to get my hands on a albino Common Goldfish.
This is why I love this website... Everyone here is so creative!!

RainBetta

Glofish are hideous and unnatural imo. I'm not hating on the animals, just the idea overall! I'm sure all the fish have wonderful personalities

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom