Opinions On Glofish?

ginkgo505

You know the ones- genetically modified to "glo" under a black light, and omnipresent in chain pet stores. Personally, I find them a bit creepy and unnatural. What's your opinion on them?

meyowmeow

I love mine. I have 2 'glo' tanks.

Fashooga

Expensive...

But my diva daughter liked them as well as my wife, happy wife = happy life. I have three swimming around the tank and while they are genetically modified or unnatural I don't find them creepy at all. They do everything that fish does, swim, eat and poop.

There are a lot of things in this world that are unnatural...like certain movie stars...

penguin02

There's really nothing different about them. I have four in my tank, and they eat and act just like any other fish. They're just really pricey.

ginkgo505

Fashooga said:
Expensive...

But my diva daughter liked them as well as my wife, happy wife = happy life. I have three swimming around the tank and while they are genetically modified or unnatural I don't find them creepy at all. They do everything that fish does, swim, eat and poop.

There are a lot of things in this world that are unnatural...like certain movie stars...
Haha

SilverRose

It all depends on you. They're great community fish, look cool under black light, and are great for decor. I have a tank with them and some other schooling fish. I recommend you get them as schools so they appear "cooler". Again, it's all up to you.

:) fatcatfish (:

They're illegal in the UK due to being genetically modified. To me they're a little strange and I don't really like them. I don't have anything against people who do though!

Danjamesdixon

I've never been a fan of humans messing with the natural world. Neither have I ever been a fan of turning a living animal into a brand.

MattS99

Shouldn't be screwing with nature, feel bad for the fish.

TwoHedWlf

penguin02 said:
There's really nothing different about them. I have four in my tank, and they eat and act just like any other fish. They're just really pricey.
They're pricey? Looks like they're only like $6-7 each. Not much more than the non glofish versions here.

I'd like to have a handful of them, but they're illegal here too, like all GMOs. Some did sneak in once years ago, but they were all tracked down, confiscated and killed.

penguin02

There's actually nothing wrong with the fish themselves. They act and behave like Black Skirt Tetras. They can't actually tell the difference, so why would you feel bad for them? I'm not saying it's a good thing for humans to mess with nature, but there's nothing cruel or bad for the fish.

TwoHedWlf said:
They're pricey? Looks like they're only like $6-7 each. Not much more than the non glofish versions here.

I'd like to have a handful of them, but they're illegal here too, like all GMOs. Some did sneak in once years ago, but they were all tracked down, confiscated and killed.
Where I live they're 10.99 each. When you buy a school of them, that quickly adds to 70-80 dollars.

Dave125g

I have 12 glow skirts . I love them, but yea 10 bucks each.

Platylover

I honestly think they're tacky... They just look, so... fake. They really disrupt the flow of the aquarium, especially if they're with other fish. I probably especially don't like them becaouse I don't like almost anything unatural in tank and love darker and "blander" coloured fish. I do enjoy colourful fish too, but I prefer wildtypes and others with more subtle coloration. With all that being said, I still think they're wonderful fish, just not something I'd own.

MattS99

penguin02 said:
There's actually nothing wrong with the fish themselves. They act and behave like Black Skirt Tetras. They can't actually tell the difference, so why would you feel bad for them? I'm not saying it's a good thing for humans to mess with nature, but there's nothing cruel or bad for the fish.
Fine, would you like it if someone shot you up with fluorescent purple dye then?

:) fatcatfish (:

True Glofish aren't dyed. A bioluminescence gene from a jellyfish is inserted into the genome of the embryo. That's why a Glofish will always breed true and produce Glofish offspring.

Dying fish is another much crueller can of worms.

penguin02

MattS99 said:
Fine, would you like it if someone shot you up with fluorescent purple dye then?
For the record, glofish are not "dyed". They are inserted with a special gene, which is why they produce colored offspring. It's in their genes, so therefore they feel no different than a White or Black Skirt Tetra. I'm not saying humans should mess with nature, but it's not directly affecting the fish in any way.

Again, I respect your opinions. But what you're saying makes no sense.

Kasshan

they are spliced with jellyfish bioluminescent genes. also they are a propriety product and so therefore sterile, anyone who claims they successfully spawned them is more than likely lying. 16 yrs ago after stumbling across them in a science article, I wanted to get them as a novelty from a lab in MN or some near state I can't recall, but they were illegal at the time in CA. but now that ive matured there are better novelties than tacky engineered freaks under a UV light that will burn the retinas out of the fish, I prefer mutant freaks derived thru good aqua-husbandry like electric blue fish.

BeanFish

Danjamesdixon said:
I've never been a fan of humans messing with the natural world. Neither have I ever been a fan of turning a living animal into a brand.
But that is what we do everyday.

penguin02

Dave125g

Kasshan said:
they are spliced with jellyfish bioluminescent genes. also they are a propriety product and so therefore sterile, anyone who claims they successfully spawned them is more than likely lying. 16 yrs ago after stumbling across them in a science article, I wanted to get them as a novelty from a lab in MN or some near state I can't recall, but they were illegal at the time in CA. but now that ive matured there are better novelties than tacky engineered freaks under a UV light that will burn the retinas out of the fish, I prefer mutant freaks derived thru good aqua-husbandry like electric blue fish.
There not serial . most of the ones sold now are born from glofish parents .

bigdreams

I am not a fan.. but it's an easy way to get really colorful fish into the tank. My son thinks they are cool, my wife likes the bold colors, I am like, hmmm it would be an easy way to add color to tank.. but I think they look tacky.

Plus the ones at my local Petco look sick. They were originally developed to identify polluted water. The ones at my fish store look like the head is a different color, which makes me think they are sick. haven't seen a healthy looking one, so I never seriously considered buying one.

BeanFish

I don't care really, I couldnt care less if they are genetically modified. Literally all fish we have has been modified. I find them ugly and tacky tho. I prefer a more "natural" look.
And I am not sure they are sterile as Kasshan claims, it is illegal to sell them, yes, but sterile? Do you have any proof? Their site does not talk much about it, but I would guess they are able to mate after the following paragraph:

We believe it is of paramount importance that all the fluorescent fish we offer for sale are safe for the environment. To ensure that we are successful, stringent testing will be performed before any fish is made available to the public, with specific emphasis placed on analyzing growth rates, temperature sensitivities, and mating success. Any line of fluorescent fish demonstrating increased strengths or successes in these areas relative to non-fluorescent fish of the same species, or otherwise displaying any characteristic that poses an environment concern, will not be offered for sale.

AllieSten

MattS99 said:
Shouldn't be screwing with nature, feel bad for the fish.
Why? They aren't being harmed. They are born, live, & die just like any other fish. Maybe the original fish they used to start the hybridization were not treated very well, but all the offspring are just like any other fish.

Kasshan said:
This is NOT true!! I just found out they are not sterile! (Last night even) Google Glo-Fish Fry. I thought someone was pulling my leg. It is a myth. They reproduce just like any other fish.. it's crazy I know.

Kasshan

well I don't mind being wrong, I love facts. they are supposed to have incorrect chromosome counts when they are being engineered, if they do indeed have fertile ones its probably cuz the gmo stigma has lifted in california
so id guess the the serial lab production must have become too tedious, if they are reproducing then the unmodified strains are being sold by the Asian markets now because they going for the cash grab and farming/culturing in bulk. I mean the FDA doesn't really care about regulating them anymore since they are essentially no different than their non-GMO counterparts. so I guess it might true using this logic

clk89

I don't love them nor do I hate them. I have daughter's who are attracted to their colors, and I can see the appeal of them to many. They seem basically like the average tetra just a different colored version. I also know they aren't colored in a cruel way, and that glowfish (the brand) has spoken up against dying fish a few times.

FishWhishes

Kasshan said:
well they are supposed to have incorrect chromosome counts when they are being engineered, if they do indeed have fertile ones I like to see proof, so far it's all been speculation and hearsay. id love to be wrong in this case. someone must have done it with proof by now. but alas...
I'm not sure if ALL of them are fertile but my glo danio sure did reproduce I don't have picture evidence b/c no camera available right now (he's way too fast anyway), but trust me they breed! My offspring fish is a mix between a grayish color and a purple color (dad glofish danio and mom regular danio).

AllieSten

FishWhishes said:
I'm not sure if ALL of them are fertile but my glo danio sure did reproduce I don't have picture evidence b/c no camera available right now (he's way too fast anyway), but trust me they breed! My offspring fish is a mix between a grayish color and a purple color (dad glofish danio and mom regular danio).
I knew someone here would have some! lol I honestly thought they were sterile until last night. Makes me worry about fry in my tank now lol I thought I was safe haha wonder if my black skirts will breed with the glo-tetras? Wonder if their colors would be crazy?

Kasshan

I guess it's past the point of putting a lid on it and keeping it trademarked. I am personally pleased by this, because I love science and I love it when roadblocks are removed. at this point the ratio of cost/novelty is not good enough for me right now, in the back of my mind I would be saying to myself "I'm paying $10 premium novelty for a common 50¢ retail fish that scientists deem disposable lab animals".
unless I create some themed tank when I finally own a home and can put themes in every room. although the UV light on all the time can have consequences. I would probably put these guys in a custom tank in the bathroom. so the UV light will only in when the bathroom is in use.

KimberlyG

Kasshan

AllieSten said:
I knew someone here would have some! lol I honestly thought they were sterile until last night. Makes me worry about fry in my tank now lol I thought I was safe haha wonder if my black skirts will breed with the glo-tetras? Wonder if their colors would be crazy?
I would imagine the jelly fish genes would wash out and the colors would fade since the alleles need to pair properly for gene expression, and who knows what the dominance, codominance, recessive factors involved. just an educated guess. less than spectacular in reality I bet vs imagination. but it is illegal to have proof, I just realized, of breeding them. unless that's changed too. lol

Junne

I got about 12 of them 2 + years ago ( 4 have since died ) during black friday sale ( Zebra's were $1.50 a piece )
I will have to say one thing, some of the colors have faded. I got pink, blue, green, yellow and I have to say, only the pink and yellow still have the bright colors. The blue looks identical to my regualr zebra danios except for a hint of "Blue" near the fins. I WON'T be buying any of these again any time soon and I will if I do buy another variety such as the Tetra's, I won't pay more than $3.00 a piece. What a let down!

Dave125g

Mine spawn all the time with my black skirts. I don't get any fry however. The eggs are just a tasty snack for the rest of the community .

andychrissytank

My local chain has a whole aisle dedicated to glo products
haven't had any of my own but in the future I might consider the danio ones

Lindsay83

Glad they're illegal here. In general, I'm not even a fan of electric blue fish, although I can see te appeal. Selective breeding for colour/pattern/longer, more ornate fins, is one thing, so long as it's not detrimental to the fish, but these fish are entirely man-made. They simply would never have existed if a scientist hadn't decided to find out what would happen if they placed a jellyfish's genome into a danio embrio.

Nothing against people who do like them, but definitely not a fan. For me, it's Science taking a step too far.

AllieSten

Lindsay83 said:
Glad they're illegal here. In general, I'm not even a fan of electric blue fish, although I can see te appeal. Selective breeding for colour/pattern/longer, more ornate fins, is one thing, so long as it's not detrimental to the fish, but these fish are entirely man-made. They simply would never have existed if a scientist hadn't decided to find out what would happen if they placed a jellyfish's genome into a danio embrio.

Nothing against people who do like them, but definitely not a fan. For me, it's Science taking a step too far.
I am not a huge fan of the whole GMO aspect of mine. It is why I have gotten regular blackskirts instead. Trying to get away from the actual Glo-fish. It started with my daughter's tank a couple years ago. I have 5 glo-tetras at the moment. Just got 4 blackskirts that are in quarantine, that I am adding to the school to make 9. Then as the glo-fish die I will replace with blackskirts. I totally like them already. Can't wait to see them in my big tank. I do like the colors of the glofish, but I don't use a black light, so I don't get the full effect anyways.

I have to say that I was taken advantage of the GloFish company. I bought into all the products, spent money on fish, equipment, rocks, plants, whole shebang, only to find out nothing they said was true. They need to be in schools of 6, in a 20 gallon or bigger. Not those 1-2 gallon aquariums, with 1 or 2 fish. In fact my 2 hospital tanks are Glo-fish aquariums. One is a 1.5 gallon, one is a 2 gallon. It is just crazy.

Piaelliott

When my husband first saw them (I don't want or have them) he thought they were made out of plastic

Little Tank of Happiness

I don't mind them personally. I think though if you have them, they should be the only fish in the tank because the natural versus electric color mix looks horrible. If I had them I'd do a 20 gal with about 10 glo tetras and do bright colored plants, black background, black gravel, and maybe some type of dimmer light.

FishWhishes

AllieSten said:
In my opinion the fry color is SO much prettier than the actual full glofish parent! I'm not sure how well it glows though because I don't have a black light.

OnTheFly

Apologize if this has already been posted. I didn't read the whole thread yet. Some may not be aware of why they were really "created". It wasn't to market to aquarists. I found it interesting. I don't own any at this time.

FishWhishes

Kasshan said:
I would imagine the jelly fish genes would wash out and the colors would fade since the alleles need to pair properly for gene expression, and who knows what the dominance, codominance, recessive factors involved. just an educated guess. less than spectacular in reality I bet vs imagination. but it is illegal to have proof, I just realized, of breeding them. unless that's changed too. lol
I think (total guess here) it might wash out if you continue to breed glofish-regular fish with regular fish. For the F1 generation though it's just a mix. It makes the colors even prettier for the danios IMO because they have the navy blue stripes as well as the glofish color.

FishWhishes

OnTheFly said:
Apologize if this has already been posted. I didn't read the whole thread yet. Some may not be aware of why they were really "created". It wasn't to market to aquarists. I found it interesting. I don't own any at this time.
Wow, I had no idea! Thanks for sharing the find.

-Mak-

I think they look rather unnatural - can you imagine a nicely planted, aquascaped tank or a biotope with these swimming around?
I suppose if you had a tank that was arranged with similarly neon colored, bright, gravel and decorations they'd blend in much more nicely. They're just not my cuppa.

BReefer97

It's not that there's anything wrong with the fish themselves, it's the fact that they're genetically modified. I feel as if the aquarist hobby is heading in the wrong direction when they do things like create GloFish or Painted Glass Fish. There's a huge difference in selective breeding and injecting an embryo with something that was not there before. And then to market it and brand it like it is a toy for children? Granted children are the ones who take the main interest in these fish, but seriously - it's a living creature. I just don't like to see this hobby exploited, and especially don't want to see it modified. Some are taking steps backwards (GloFish), while others are taking steps forward.

TwoHedWlf

I'm looking forward to glo plecos. Glo severums? What about properly bioluminescent, not just fluorescent?

AWheeler

Do they look neat, yeah...do they also freak me out a bit...yeah.

Danjamesdixon

BReefer97 said:
It's not that there's anything wrong with the fish themselves, it's the fact that they're genetically modified. I feel as if the aquarist hobby is heading in the wrong direction when they do things like create GloFish or Painted Glass Fish. There's a huge difference in selective breeding and injecting an embryo with something that was not there before. And then to market it and brand it like it is a toy for children? Granted children are the ones who take the main interest in these fish, but seriously - it's a living creature. I just don't like to see this hobby exploited, and especially don't want to see it modified. Some are taking steps backwards (GloFish), while others are taking steps forward.
Glofish weren't created with the Aquarism hobby in mind - they were created to be a canary in a goldmine.

It doesn't make it right, but moreso to blame are some stuffy executive suits with no eyes for anything other than money, not the scientists.

BReefer97

Danjamesdixon said:
Glofish weren't created with the Aquarism hobby in mind - they were created to be a canary in a goldmine.

It doesn't make it right, but moreso to blame are some stuffy executive suits with no eyes for anything other than money, not the scientists.
I can definitely see where you're coming from and what you mean, and I agree to an extent. It started out that way, but then the marketing and branding made it a "staple" fish for a lot of young people. I just don't believe in gene splicing for asthetic purpose, and I know they were originally made to detect pollutants in water, but it's gone past that point.

Demeter

I think a species only tank is the only way to go. Keeping them with natural colored fish makes them an eyesore IMO.

Redshark1

Don't think my cat can stand the sight of them!

Cube 20.02.10 - Copy.JPG

001 - Copy.JPG

Pink Zebra Danio Steve Joul 27.12.08 (1) - Copy.jpg

Bowl45 and Danio fry (1) - Copy.jpg

Bowl45 and Danio Fry - Copy.jpg

RiverPaddler

At first, I didn't like the idea of them: the unnaturally bright colors didn't appeal to me. However, when it came time to get new fish for our daycare's aquarium, the glo tetras seemed to by the best pick to appeal to even the youngest children. They are as robust as any other skirt tetras I've had and the kiddos love them. Right fish for the right circumstances.

Random Great Thread

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom