Opinions on Freshwater Tank Stocking

1. jillamber Initiate Member

Hi there!
    I'm really excited to stock my first tank. I'm currently doing a fishless cycle in a 20 gallon high. It's not planted, I'm using fake plants for now. I've done my research and have come up with this plan, and according to AqAdvisor, this would bring my stocking level to just under 100%. I know that AqAdvisor can overlook many things though, so I would like the opinion of some more experienced fish keepers. Here it is:

1x Dwarf Gourami (Male)
    3x Lyretail Dalmation Molly (Two female, one male)
    4x Sunburst/Red Wag Platy (Three female, one male)
    4x Panda Cory

I would obviously add the fish once the cycling is complete. How this setup? Would you maybe recommend dropping a platy in order to add another cory? I've seen recommendations as low as 4 for cories, but I'm not sure about that.

Thank you!

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to Fishlore :)
    Mollies imo need more space as they can get quite large & have a heavy bioload so I'd drop those.
    I'd also increase the number of corys, as a shoaling fish they do best in larger numbers & you'll see more natural behaviour from them in a larger group.
    Just a note on having mixed sex livebearers, be prepared for lots of fry as they can have 30+ every month, if you don't want the hassle of rehoming fry then you could have an all male group.

3. jillamber Initiate Member

I'll cut out the mollies then, and add a couple more cories.
    I wont add any other species to cut down on the bio load, hopefully that decreases the risk of any complications. And thanks for bringing up the gender issue, I'll probably go all male then.
    Thank you so much!

4. oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello jilll...

Your 20 gallon tank is small. You need small fish. Gouramis males are aggressive. Mollies should be kept in much larger tanks, because they need a lot of very clean water and are sensitive to to crowding. The water in small tanks changes too much for Mollies. Platys are fast breeders in the right water conditions and will outgrow a small tank in a matter of a few months. Corydoras are bottom feeders and need a lot room too. They need it to forage for food and are most comfortable in larger tanks at least 30 gallons and in groups of 6 or more. A 20 gallon is pretty small for this fish.

Consider a species only tank of Tetras.

Old