Opinions on filter please

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Novemayune, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Novemayune

Novemayune Valued Member Member

I am searching for a new filter and would like some feedback please. I am brand-spanking-new to the hobby, so please keep that in mind when replying (I'm still trying to master the lingo, lol).

I have a 55g that I recently started and I am working on stocking and planting. It is a work in progress. Thus far, I have an anubias and a java fern windelov (both small), as well as a marimo moss ball (idk size precisely, a bit bigger than a golf ball but smaller than a tennis ball). For my current fish, I have 4 platys (one pregnant), 4 albino corys, 2 ghost shrimp, and 1 mystery snail.

I plan to get 3 more mystery snails, 8-10 neon tetras, 6-8 cherry barbs, and a honey gourami, as well as more plants (I'd love to get some cabomba, and maybe some java moss, dwarf hair, and/or baby tears, though I don't know too much about plant life).

Basically, I'm learning as I go.

I currently have a Marineland Penguin BioWheel 350. I purchased it with my tank used from Craigslist. I'd like to not have the hang on back as I find it to be annoying/bothersome with two small children (also, I don't want to have the snails escaping if they go to lay egg clutches). Also, because I have two young boys, I don't have a good place to store a canister filter outside of my tank, so there is that consideration. Also, aside from a new filter, will I need a powerhead? (What is the purpose of a powerhead?) I would like something that is quiet (my hang on back isn't loud, I just don't really like it, in terms of sight and accessibility to young children). Also if you could include links to the pump (say Amazon or the like?), I would greatly appreciate it!

Simply, I'm asking for the moon. Thank you :)

2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Really your two best options imo are canister filter or hang on back (hob) filter. Other than them there are undergravel filters (ugf) and sponge filters. The ugf's are considered by many to be inferior filtration systems beyond biological filtration. Sponge filters are mainly used by breeders and shrimp keepers or for hospital/qt tanks because they are simple and create very little draw, which also makes them unsuitable for the filtration needs of alot of display aquarium, though it is possible. They are also frequently ran in conjunction with a hob or canister to use as a seeded filter or backup.

In short, I would recommend this canister filter, very economical: http://www.ebay.com/itm/75-Gallon-E...548&pid=100033&prg=1011&rk=1&sd=140771069635&

In its stead you could use two of these:http://www.amazon.com/AquaClear-70-...8&qid=1354932576&sr=1-1&keywords=aquaclear+70

Powerheads are used to generate currents to aid in circulation or to pull water through another mechanism like a UGF, typically they are not necessary but may be appreciated by inhabitants who like current. the circulation provided by your main filters will be enough usually.

Hope that helps!

3. OP
    OP
    Novemayune

Would it be possible to use the AC110 instead of the AC70x2? I mean, I guess it would be possible, but would it work for my proposed stocked tank?

4. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Yes, that filter would work imo. Its just with larger (4') tanks I personally would use 2 smaller ones at each end for better filtration/circulation. A general rule for you regarding filtration: for hobs you want it to turn the whole volume of your tank over 8-10X an hour, so a filter with a gph (gallons per hour) rating of 550gph would be ideal. With a canister 5x turnover or more is typically recommended. That is why the 264 gph canister is okay for your tank.

5. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

Hi, Novemayune -

I agree with Matt on the 2 AC 70's. The 2 would be beneficial in two or three areas:

1) More gallons per hour
    2) Having 2 would mean if you had one that stopped working, you'd still have the other 70 as a backup.
    3) More water agitation and movement.

On top of those factors, you'd have less cleaning to do each time with cleaner water throughout the week in between your weekly partial water changes.

Alex :)

6. Orion5

Orion5 Well Known Member Member

+1 on what the previous posts mentioned. Really the only filters worth pursuing are HOB or canister for that size of aquarium, and a AC110 would indeed be sufficient.

There are other filtration options mentioned (Undergravel filter, corner filters) and for the same reasons mentioned I wouldn't use one of these. One other reason is that you will have to significantly decrease the stock of your tank, and so much more...

If you do get a DIY urge in the future you can indeed craft some interesting filtration using powerheads. Here is an example of something you can get ready-made. But again the tank size, I would advise against it. Another reason is their lack of versatility-- can't put any carbon or use any other types of filtration except for sponges (for the most part...), and this can be frustrating. They are rather inconvenient.

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  7. JRC3

JRC3 Well Known Member Member

Two Fluval U4.

Petsmart is having a 15% off sale this weekend.

I run an old Fluval Mod4 (old version of the U4) in my 29g dwarf puffer tank and the bioload is huge in that tank. I don't run it with any stock media though. I run it in the corner and cover it with my trusty hanging reptile plant.

8. OP
    OP
    Novemayune

Wow, thank you so much for the input! It's simple enough to do some research, but research doesn't have the ability to give me a dynamic answer. In that case, I will put two AC70s on my Christmas list and hope someone is feeling generous :)

9. Quinn_Lamb98

Quinn_Lamb98 Well Known Member Member

i know the fluval u2 underwater filter was mentioned, but, look for the fluval c4 hob filter. it has 5 stages of filtration- 2 mechanical, 1 chemical, and 2 bilogical- it has a sponge and poly filter pad, a basket for activated carbon (can put anything in there ex)more biological, etc) and it also has a wet dry filter cartridge that contains sea nodes (biological filtration). i would use 2 of them, they have 264 gph each, it is also made by the same company as the aqua-clears (hagen). it is basically the aqua-clear but an updated/better version.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice