Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlene789

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello,

After a recent spike in my nitrates, and with much help from you nice people on Fishlore, I was told Cycle can be useless. I was just wondering what everyones opinion on this product was. I'm a fairly new tank owner (although I do now have 2....addicting!) and I was told from the start to always have cycle on hand. I was just curious as to what some of you guys use for product in your tanks? I'm always looking for ways to best keep my fish!

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
used it before I found fishlore...its fine if you use it for the life of the tank..but it never properly cycles the tank without the use of adding it often

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi.
Here's a cut and paste on an answer I've previously given about Cycle. Please note that there are people on this site that don't agree with it.

Cycle contains non-aquatic bacteria. It drowns/dies in about a week, and that is why the bottle says to add it weekly. This is expensive and can be unstable for your tank. The bottled bacteria eats the ammonia in the tank, which is why you get good readings. However, it can starve out the natural bacteria you need to cycle your tank. With the addition of the weekly-bacteria-in-a-bottle, your tank cannot complete the natural biological cycle.

I worry about the usage of this and similar products that need to be added for the life of the tank. The success of your tank relies solely on consistent and precise dosing. If you miss a time, or don't add enough, or add too much, or overfeed so there's a bit extra ammonia, etc., your tank can crash because it never cycled.

I know the stores push these products, but they make a lot of money off of weekly-addition products. And sad to say, they also make money on replacement fish.

I would suggest not using these types of products. Cycle your tank with daily water changes with Prime water conditioner, or buy some Tetra Safe Start. TSS is the only product on the market with the correct bacteria. (There are members that disagree with this statement, especially in regards to Stability.) If you use TSS, make sure you buy that exact product. It's a one-time use, and for many members who used it, has helped cycle the tank (not all members have had success though).

OP
C

Charlene789

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So, after reading about Cycle, I'm thinking of weaning my tanks off of the product. I hear alot about 'Prime...' what is this? A water conditioner? Id like to put as few chemicals in my tanks as possible.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'd never thought about the implications of using a repeated-use product like Cycle or Stability in terms of what to do when you want to stop using them! How do you wean a tank off of something like that? You wouldn't want to stop using it cold turkey, because you'd be starting over again.

-Lisa

OP
C

Charlene789

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I was thinking of just steadily and slowly lowering the dose I put in with water changes. I'm hoping it won't crash and need to completely re-cycle the tank all over. Hopefully that'll work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 59 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.2%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 19.8%

Top Bottom