55 Gallon Tank Opinions on cutting back lily please

LeahsTank
Should I let this lily just do it’s thing, or cut back the long stems? I’m torn. I don’t think I care for them at this point, but I think they may look nice once there are more.

Thoughts?

F504CCA7-B187-4C0B-92DA-64B94572F2DB.jpeg

mattgirl
When mine shoot up I just clip them close to the bulb.

Avila
Hi Leah

IMO I'd trim the shoots bc they've gotten too tall for your tank. I prefer the bushier/denser look for lilies. The nice thing about trimming those tall shoots is that any new shoots that grow you may be able to "train" to stay at your waterline by clipping them if they start growing too long again. From what I know, trimming at around your water level will train your plant to not produce such long shoots and encourages more lateral growth. When you trim, trim close to the bulb.

jmaldo

thumbs up.jpg

Very Nice! My favorite plant.
As mentioned trim the surface shooters and it will eventually start sending out runners. Careful though they can and will take over a tank. I started with 2 bulbs, ended up with them in all my tanks even after selling about a dozen.

Red Tiger Lotus.jpg

Good Luck!

mattgirl
jmaldo said:

thumbs up.jpg

Very Nice! My favorite plant.
As mentioned trim the surface shooters and it will eventually start sending out runners. Careful though they can and will take over a tank. I started with 2 bulbs, ended up with them in all my tanks even after selling about a dozen.

Red Tiger Lotus.jpg

Good Luck!
Please think of me should they try to take over your tank again :)

Top Bottom