Opinions on Bristlenose Plecos vs Otto and Siamese Eaters....

1. Ziabis Well Known Member Member

Opinions on Bristlenose Plecos vs Otto and Siamese Eaters....

I have not had a BN Plecos ever, only Ottos and Siamese... I hate the siamese and I like the ottos.

But I read that BN plecos love driftwood and I have lots.

What are your opinions on what I should get?

Thanks...

2. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I have never had oto's or siamese eaters but I love my BN pleco. He's very sweet and very good at his job :) Rather comical. I am thinking of getting him into a group in my 75, I think it would be lovely to see.x

3. Ziabis Well Known Member Member

What types of algae do they eat? I have lots of driftwood so I think they should be happy.
    In my town they are quite expensive, like $12 CAN is that about right?

4. celizabethh3 Member Member

Just out of curiosity, where in Ontario are you? If you check out Kijiji Toronto, there's a few bristlenoses that people are looking to sell if that's the one you decide on. I haven't seen them readily available in pet stores in my area but you may have better luck. :)

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Ziabis Well Known Member Member

I'm in London, Ontario and don't have a car. But thanks Elizabeth.. Where are you?

6. celizabethh3 Member Member

Oh okay! I know London has a page as well and things pop up here and there. I'm from Barrie.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. Ziabis Well Known Member Member

Guess I will have to pay the price.

8. MJDuti Well Known Member Member

I have had all 3 and love them all, but they vary quite a bit. BN plecos are non-stop algae eating machines, but they produce the most waste. They are also not the most active fish and do require wood to chew on for digestion. They also have a newer 'red' version out there, on top of the regular and albino. I also think once males get bristles they just look amazing, in a creepy way.

Ottos are fantastic if you can get them to survive that break-in period in your tank (which should be very mature - for algae). They also do best in groups and are by far the smallest. There is a larger species out there but I don't know much about them. They also have zebra ottos which are amazing, but more delicate, and expensive.

SAE are just non-stop spazzes. They are considered part of that FW "sharks" group. Mine was never aggressive towards anything but their activity may stress out less active fish. They can also apparently get the largest of the three fish you are considering (up to 6" - never saw one that size). Mine was about 4" tops. The great thing with them is that they will pick at algae all day, not to the effectiveness of a BN pleco, however they are one of a select few that will eat BBA (black beard algae). Hopefully you never have to deal with that.

9. Ziabis Well Known Member Member

Great write up MJ... Thanks. The store I am going to said they have red ones. Actually they have about 5 different kinds.

10. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

I've only had BNs, and only for a couple of weeks, but I love them! I find them quite fascinating (weird, I know). They are poop machines but that's because they eat almost 24 hours a day. I have 2 *regular* ones, 6 baby reds, and 1 baby brown / white long fin. The babies also eat 24 hours a day. The adult 2 have learned when I feed the Rainbowfish to come out and scarf on the gravel to find all the leftovers. Other than their regular algae and scavenging diet, I give them zuchini, cucumber, peas, red bell pepper, etc., and Repashy algae and morning wood. Oh, I also have driftwood that they graze on.

11. MJDuti Well Known Member Member

I forgot to make my choice. If I had to choose I would also choose the BN pleco in most cases, especially if you can get one of the cool red ones.

12. sophi Well Known Member Member

Hmm I haven't had ottos or SAE's but from what I've noticed, my BN is a plant eater. I knew it was a possibility that they would nibble on plants but he's pretty much destroyed my Amazon's and Hygrophila. At least, I think it's him. I'll see him sucking on the leaves through out the day so I kinda assumed it was him lol.

I'm not saying they're bad, because he's actually one of my favorites. They're really neat to watch and they do a pretty nice job cleaning the tank. I guess it just depends on the BN and how they feel. Some may never touch plants, some may completely demolish them. So if you plan on having live plants, just be aware that they may dine on them.

13. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

My BN will only eat the leaves of the plants that have gone soft and started to sort of rot, if you know what I mean? I think with most fish, there is the possibility that they will eat your plants.

Other than otos which, can be tricky to keep, i think the decision is up to you and what you like the look of.

BNs are the greatest algae eaters (opinion!) as they never stop, so if algae is a problem, difinitely go for them. The variety of colours you can get is also a bonus!x

14. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

The two BNs I have in my 45g have never eaten any plants. They could if they wanted to, judging by the gouges they take out of the zucchini. But I've seen them numerous times grazing the algae off plants without any damage to the plant.

15. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Mine do this and if the plant is soft enough, they may keep going a little :)

16. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I've never had plecs or siamese algae eaters, I like my Oto's they seem to like me too as I started with a group of 8 & now have around 30 of various ages. Some of the babies once big enough will have to be rehomed as I can't keep them all.
    I do love watching them zoom around the tank cleaning leaves, glass & wood of algae, though they ignore that as soon as I put courgette in.
    Not the easiest of fish to start with, but once you've got past that first couple of weeks they seem to go from strength to strength.

17. Castiel* Well Known Member Member

I got 3 Bristlenose plecos. One regular, one albino, and one longfin, but I've never owned ottos before. I love my pleco's and they really do lots of work on algae. my tank is always crystal clear on the inside. I did notice that the younger they are the more they seem to be active even during the day. Adults like their darkness and stick to more nocturnal habits.

Slice up some zucchini and throw a couple slices in at least once a week. They love fresh veggies! Other wise just supplement their diet with sinking algae wafers. NEVER leave them to just survive on tank algae you'll starve them, they usually graze on this no matter how much they eat.