Opinions on best size tank for a decent community?

1. Ctammy2 Member Member

I feel MTS coming on....!!! :)
    What do you think would be a nice size tank for a community?
    Balancing the "as large as possible" without being "too large"? Small house (think 1000 sq'), so I don't want the tank to be overwhelming. (Weight, sheer size, or work.)

I currently have a 10 gallon setup, which of course is overstocked. ;)
    I would like to "fix" my 10g and be able to indulge in a cool, colourful planted community...
    Fish I like:
    White cloud minnows
    Neons
    Cardinals
    Black neons
    Corys
    Gourami
    Angels
    Hatchetfish
    Anything colourful and/or interesting

So what combos do you guys think would work? Throw some ideas at me. Would like to start shopping for equipment in the next couple months.

Thanks!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Andrew Sackett Member Member

I'm still new but I feel I can chime in on this one, i also have a small house my first community tank was a 20 gallon but I could not have the fish I wanted like angels so I saved up to get a 55 gallon and I think its a very nice size for a community tank, to be honest it doesn't feel like more work at all, I've been told bigger is better in this hobby and to me a 55 is the perfect size. If space is a big issue I'd go with a 30

3. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

The 55 gallon tank is pretty ideal, larger tanks tend to come at much greater expense, but it is fairly easy to set up a 55 on a reasonable budget. Anything under 40 gallons greatly reduces your stocking options. And some fish like angels don't really quite fit in a 40. For the most part, tall tanks are to be avoided as they limit the swimming room of fish and make keeping a planted tank, if you desire, difficult because the light dims considerably with depth.

Of course if you can find a deal on one (and have room), such as on craigslist, larger tanks can be nice and if you really want to have a nice angel or discus tank a 90 gallon or larger is more ideal.

4. Ctammy2 Member Member

I actually prefer the gourami's over angels. Especially the blue or flame dwarfs. Mentioned the angels because I saw a pic of an orange coloured angel that I really liked. Just don't know if I could get something like that locally. :)

I have a "thing" for pretty little red, blue or orange fishies! ;)

What is the "normal" dimensions of a 55? And how much does it usually weigh after setup?

5. Andrew Sackett Member Member

Off my memory a 55 is 4 feet long and about a foot wide, and I think it weighs about 660 pounds when filled, but you should double check this is all off my memory.

6. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

A 55g. was both the size of my first FW and a year later got another to have my first SW too and ran both for many years. I think it's the best size tank all things considered and from others on this thread seems to be widely agreed upon. I have larger tanks now but always enjoy seeing the 55's nicely set up. Call me nostalgic :)?

7. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

55's are a good size. Lots of options and not crazy big. I also really like my 40 gallon breeder. It is shallower than a standard tank, so makes plants a bit easier. Plus it has a larger floor space for lots of horizontal swimming room.

8. Fishy Friends Well Known Member Member

Hi & welcome to Fishlore☺

55 gal 4' x 1' x 20" - I agree - seems to fit your requirements. I had two 55's last year - 1 has been replaced by a 180gal & I still have 1 55gal☺

9. Ctammy2 Member Member

Hmmm well I had a good honest look at my living room and I don't know... I just don't think I'm going to be able to fit a 55. :(
    My living room is tiny and awkward. I'm dealing with a couch, 2 chairs, 2 floor-ceiling bookcases, 2 windows, a wood stove (that is my main source of heat in the winter) plus a 50" tv.

Anyone have a magic wand? Lol

10. Kurty Member Member

Lol no magic wands but I know how you feel I've got 110 gallon community tank,just got a 10gallon and a fifty or fourty gallon coming later today with no real space to work with but thinking of throwing out some furniture if the wife let's me but if there's a will there's a way but I'd go with the bigger tank because eventually everyone wants a bigger tank welcome and good luck

11. Watehobit Member Member

I went with a 40g long tank. It has the same footprint as the 55 but is 2/3 of the height.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

12. Maxi1 Member Member

The 40 g long sounds nice. I just got a 55 g and love it, but I have s to stand on a 9 inch step to reach the bottom of it and then I can't see what I am doing as well.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

13. Ctammy2 Member Member

My problem is the footprint. 4' is a lot when space is a premium. :)
    What about tall tanks, if you stick with smaller fish and try to stock carefully?

14. Ctammy2 Member Member

Btw, not talking about column tanks or whatever they are called. What I was wondering about is a 30 or 35g high?

15. Watehobit Member Member

I guess it really just depends on the space you have available. Here is a chart of standard aquarium sizes. http://www.anapsid.org/resources/tanksize.html figure out how much space you can sacrifice, and make a decision based on that. Keep in mind that you also have to find or make a stand that fits that specific size as well.

16. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Tall tanks are workable, especially if you are fine with fish only. With them it becomes important to carefully select fish that inhabit the bottom, middle, and upper regions of the tank, as to make them more attractive, and not to crowd the species that you do include. You also are advised to understock them as the exchange of gases at the surface places limits. Another option would be to get a dual stand and put two 29 gallon or 20 gallon long tanks one over the other. There are extremely inexpensive such stands for sale at DFS, I use them a lot for my breeding tanks. I personally would rather have two regular tanks than one tall one, especially if I ever wanted to have live plants.

17. glo Member Member

I like all the answers, & wish I could fit a bigger tank in my VERY small apartment, but going from 2 10G's to a 20G tall community, & a 10G which houses my Betta has worked out very well for me.

The 20 is MUCH less work to keep pristine than the 2 10's were. (The Betta tank stays so clean that it is a snap, plus it's in the kitchen near water.)

In the 20, I put my 6 Emerald Rasboras, & 7 Harlequin Rasbs. which school together, & are very hardy. I also have a school of 6 corys, & 2 HUGE mystery snails that I've had for over a year now. I have Mopani wood in the tank, plus lots of silk plants, & it looks very natural. I do PWC changes twice a week, & my Aqua Clear filter works great, & only needs to be taken off & rinsed once ev. 2 or 3 months.

So, If it's the largest you can fit into your home, I think the 20 would be fine; you just can't have as many fish. Also, I got an inexpensive iron stand from Drs. Foster & Smith, that is a double decker that may be also used for a lower tank (which I use for storage of an empty emergency tank.

Good luck; I'm sure you'll have a beautiful tank, whatever the size.

This site is wonderful. You will learn a lot from these people.

Let us know what you decide on.

18. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

You could have that stock minus the angels and hatchet fish in a 40g breeder. I love mine. I choose the 40b over the 55g I had. The 55g is narrow. The 40g is perfect size for me to plant

19. TKDennison Member Member

I have a 75 I'm just starting to stock, the only downfall of the 55 is the width, it's very short front to back.

I had a 29 and the options were just too limited, so I set it up at my parents house for my dad to watch when he's chair-bound.

My next one will be a 40g breeder. I love the dimensions! Wouldn't be good for tall fish like angels, but my gouramis would love it.

20. pugletfan Member Member

I have a 29 and really like it! Nice size for a community tank if space is limited.