Opinions on aquarium heaters....annnnd GO!

Mattjames
Hello all,

I've had an Aqueon 200 watt adjustable aquarium heater in my 55-gallon aquarium(just recently changed the tank inhabitants) for a little over a year and I really don't think its working properly anymore. I have it set to 78 but my JW thermometer will say between 71-74 at all times. I know the thermometer is working correctly because it'll change when I do water changes.

I am reusing the same heater have just started my betta sorority tank(with some neons, upside-down cats, and bristle nose plecos) and would like to have the temp higher then what it is to help prevent any sicknesses from happening. I was looking at the Fluval E Electronic 300-watt heater which I've seen great reviews on but my issue with that is it requires a good flow over the sensor to read the temp of the water.

I use a Marineland Emporer 400 HOB and I've created a baffle of sorts to minimize the flow due to the bettas liking a slower-moving output. Leaving the Fluval E Electronic 300-watt heater a bad choice for my current setup.

I'm in the market for a new heater, something adjustable preferably! Money isn't a huge issue if I can solidify a safe environment for the girls. I also wouldn't be opposed to a thermostat thermometer with a non-adjustable thermometer either.

Any info would be great, id love to hear what you guys have to say. THANKS!!!

Gel0city
Heaters have a better effect on your tank compared to the negatives. I was worried about them exploding or heating up the tank to like high 90 degrees, but I realized that my tank was probably more beneficial if I took the risk. Good brands help ensure that.

david1978
I have a lineba 400 watt for my 75. Its seems to work fine. As far as flow i never baffled my aquaclear 110 and the bettas didnt seem to mind the flow.

AvalancheDave
You can remove the grill from the Fluval E which solves the "low flow" problems. But...you lose the suction cups. I have a sump so I just throw them in the heater chamber.

Mattjames
You can remove the grill from the Fluval E which solves the "low flow" problems. But...you lose the suction cups. I have a sump so I just throw them in the heater chamber.
... i wonder if I can make it work without the suction cups...

Heaters have a better effect on your tank compared to the negatives. I was worried about them exploding or heating up the tank to like high 90 degrees, but I realized that my tank was probably more beneficial if I took the risk. Good brands help ensure that.
thanks for the input, heaters are essential id say!

I have a lineba 400 watt for my 75. Its seems to work fine. As far as flow i never baffled my aquaclear 110 and the bettas didnt seem to mind the flow.
I'm not familiar with the flow on the aquaclear 110. i wonder if its less then my Emporer 400.

JasonOz
You get what you pay for.

david1978
I'm not familiar with the flow on the aquaclear 110. i wonder if its less then my Emporer 400.
A quick google search puts the flow pretty close.

AvalancheDave
The bimetallic thermostat on most heaters tends to fail on and cook fish.

The electronic thermostat on the Fluval E should be more durable but also fail off should it fail. I had the old Tronic heater and it indeed failed off.

AcornTheBetta
Hello all,

I've had an Aqueon 200 watt adjustable aquarium heater in my 55-gallon aquarium(just recently changed the tank inhabitants) for a little over a year and I really don't think its working properly anymore. I have it set to 78 but my JW thermometer will say between 71-74 at all times. I know the thermometer is working correctly because it'll change when I do water changes.

I am reusing the same heater have just started my betta sorority tank(with some neons, upside-down cats, and bristle nose plecos) and would like to have the temp higher then what it is to help prevent any sicknesses from happening. I was looking at the Fluval E Electronic 300-watt heater which I've seen great reviews on but my issue with that is it requires a good flow over the sensor to read the temp of the water.

I use a Marineland Emporer 400 HOB and I've created a baffle of sorts to minimize the flow due to the bettas liking a slower-moving output. Leaving the Fluval E Electronic 300-watt heater a bad choice for my current setup.

I'm in the market for a new heater, something adjustable preferably! Money isn't a huge issue if I can solidify a safe environment for the girls. I also wouldn't be opposed to a thermostat thermometer with a non-adjustable thermometer either.

Any info would be great, id love to hear what you guys have to say. THANKS!!!
This one is a little pricy and u might want to go with the 300 watt cuz the 200 is for up to 55 gallons. Anyways, here it is: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0098AUF6M?tag=charlie0dba-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1

Islandvic
Mattjames none of my heaters actually heat the tank to what the dial is set to for the thermostat. They all are either +/- a couple of degrees off from the actual temp.

In my opinion that is fine. I go off what the thermometers say in the tank. If I want it warmer, I just turn the heater's dial up a few clicks.

I've never had a heater fail yet (knock on wood). I use Fluval M Series, Top Fin, Aqueon Pro and the regular Aqueon. The Aqueon's are supposed to have good warranties, I think lifetime.

If you are looking for a new heater, I suggest to take a look at the Ehiem Jager, Aqueon Pro, Hydor, Finnex and Fluval heaters.

Also, if you want extra piece of mind, invest in an external heater controller. Finnex makes them, as well as a brand called Inkbird sold on Amazon. The website Jehmco has high dollar heater controllers also. If I was going to get one, I probably would get the Inkbird.

The last time I looked, the Chewy website had the Eheim Jager 300w heater for $32 and the 300w Aqueon Pro for $30. If you live near a PetSmart, the cashier will price match the Chewy website. Download the PetSmart app and play the in-app game to earn a 25% off coupon.

Or just buy an Inkbird controller and a $15 Aqueon 100 watt heater (both on Amazon) and let the controller operate your current heater plus the new 100w heater. Since you dont have much current in the tank, having a heater at each end may be ideal, with the wired temp prob in the middle of the tank.

NBettas83
I prefer the Aquatop Glass Heaters.
I tried one, ended up returning it because I thought it was broken. My thermometer was broken. My heater keeps the tank constantly at 78ºF (Set to 79ºF) with absolutely no fluctuation. Amazing heater.

AvalancheDave
There are complaints about heater controllers too: Inkbird, Ranco, and Johnson Controls.

In the end, I decided it the extra clutter wasn't worth any theoretical increase in reliability over a Fluval E

Celestialpearl
I use Aqueon pro and Marineland visi therm. Both have lifetime warranties are easy to find near me and not super expensive compared to some of the Fluval or Eheim heaters which are not warranted for life of the heater.

magentatooth
You get what you pay for.
I’ve got about ten heaters (all second hand for about £2-5 each) and all but one have worked well so far, have a look second hand and get a few spares

Mattjames
Mattjames none of my heaters actually heat the tank to what the dial is set to for the thermostat. They all are either +/- a couple of degrees off from the actual temp.

In my opinion that is fine. I go off what the thermometers say in the tank. If I want it warmer, I just turn the heater's dial up a few clicks.

I've never had a heater fail yet (knock on wood). I use Fluval M Series, Top Fin, Aqueon Pro and the regular Aqueon. The Aqueon's are supposed to have good warranties, I think lifetime.

If you are looking for a new heater, I suggest to take a look at the Ehiem Jager, Aqueon Pro, Hydor, Finnex and Fluval heaters.

Also, if you want extra piece of mind, invest in an external heater controller. Finnex makes them, as well as a brand called Inkbird sold on Amazon. The website Jehmco has high dollar heater controllers also. If I was going to get one, I probably would get the Inkbird.

The last time I looked, the Chewy website had the Eheim Jager 300w heater for $32 and the 300w Aqueon Pro for $30. If you live near a PetSmart, the cashier will price match the Chewy website. Download the PetSmart app and play the in-app game to earn a 25% off coupon.

Or just buy an Inkbird controller and a $15 Aqueon 100 watt heater (both on Amazon) and let the controller operate your current heater plus the new 100w heater. Since you dont have much current in the tank, having a heater at each end may be ideal, with the wired temp prob in the middle of the tank.
I always worry about frying my fish. I’ve been looking at the heater controllers also, specifically the inkbird. I didn’t think of having a secondary “always on” heater. Maybe have that near my filter in hopes it moves heated water around the tank and have the controlled one pick up the slack. Thanks for suggestions.

This one is a little pricy and u might want to go with the 300 watt cuz the 200 is for up to 55 gallons. Anyways, here it is: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0098AUF6M?tag=charlie0dba-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1
I looked at those too. I have it in my thought process.

Islandvic
Maybe I misspoke, I meant to suggest to have both heaters (your 200w Aqueon + the $15 100W heater) be controlled by the Inkbird. I think they have 2 outlets. I didnt mean to have one on a controller and one always on.

I think your idea of having a heater next to the filter intake is a good idea, a slow and constant flow of water being sucking in will flow over the heater at all times. This will easily disperse the warmed water.

On a side note, a few months ago I place all of our heaters at around a 45 degree angle. This was based on a recommendation regarding the Fluval E from what I recall from his YouTube video about heaters.

If you can find a deal on the Fluval E, Both the Chewy website and Amazon had them on sale a few months ago, and I wish I would have bought one. They are black so they blend in well. I think the 300w was on sale for something ridiculously low around $20. Maybe there are on sale again, I'm not sure.

Also, another brand to consider is Hygger from Amazon. They appear to be a direct from China brand sold only on Amazon for Aquarium supplies, but past few years have been selling tons of water pumps, heaters and heater controllers. They have options for a heater with a wired controller built in. I cant remeber who, but I recall at least 2 members on the forum ordering them and reporting they liked them.

Also, the brand Finnex has a complete line of heaters with I think 3 or 4 different heater lines at different price points that have controllers. They would be a choice to consider, I do know of at least a couple of members who use them, and one had all Finnex heaters with the red digital display built into the heater, similar the Fluval E series green display.

Literally, too many choices !! Ha

Let us know what you decide !!

Mattjames
Maybe I misspoke, I meant to suggest to have both heaters (your 200w Aqueon + the $15 100W heater) be controlled by the Inkbird. I think they have 2 outlets. I didnt mean to have one on a controller and one always on.
So I’ve purchased an Aquino Pro 300watt heater from my LFS at a discounted price then normal, it’s for a shatter proof housing which is cool. I’m not completely satisfied. So far it’s about 2* off according to the thermometer I have in my tank. I kinda just got it to have something that’s actually working in my tank so the temp didn’t drop too low. I have it set to 76 and the thermometer is reading 74. Not a huge deal but still not consistent between to 2. I do plan on doing more research and finding something different to replace it with and keeping this as a backup for -if and when- I need to replace my next one. Just wanted to give you the update you requested!!!

Islandvic
Our 250w Aqueon Pro has been running just fine in our 75g for over 2 years now. I like it.

As far as being 2° off, all of my heaters are +/- 2 to 4 degrees off from the actual temp in tank to the thermostat setting on the heater dial.

Although they are off, they all hold that temp steady though.

If I want 78° in the tank and I have to turn the dial up to 82°, but the heater keeps the tank steady at 78° where I want it, that's fine with me.

If you want 76°f in the tank, then bump the dial up to 78°f on the heater and see if it holds the tank at 76°f.

Even the more expensive Eheim Jagers have adjustable dials for the thermostat letting the user "calibrate" the heater. Eheim knows the heater cant be spot-on in every tank, so they built in a user adjustable rotating ring that marks the temp setting.

In my opinion, most thermostats on heaters are never 100% accurate, but they should hold steady the tank temp even if you have to bump up/down the dial to get it there.

Mattjames
I agree, it seems pretty solid.
I planned on adjusting today actually up to 78 to see if it holds at 76, I don't see why not. I wanted to give it a day or two for the fish to adjust before I raised it.

It's held steady once it was able to take control of the water and heat it properly so far.

Islandvic
What color is the knob on your Aqueon Pro?

I think they changed colors.

I like them also because they are solid black. It blends in a lot better than the silver reflective Fluval M-series in my other tank!

Yep, I agree. Better to make subtle differences in moving dial and track it for a day.

Just a thought, do you have 2 thermometers? Most basic glass thermometers are accurate, but I've had one that read 2 degrees higher than the others. If you have 2, maybe pull one from other tank and use it to double check.

Mattjames
The knob is clear and it has a red light that flows inside of it when it’s on. It’s really hard to see unless the light is off...oh well, I think it looks better then the glass with the heating element visible. Supposed to be safer to as far is it breaking.

I did think of getting another thermometer to see what it says.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MonteCarlo
  • ApolloBlue
  • Heater
Replies
Views
littlesnete
  • MaximumRide14
  • Heater
Replies