Opinions - is my tank well on its way to being cycled?

taylorbrettj

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My 20 gallon tank used tank has been up and running for three weeks now. This tank was one I "inherited" from my dad, and I used all of the gravel and decorations that were in the tank previously. I originally thought that there wouldn't be any beneficial bacteria in the gravel or on the decorations, and I decided to cycle my tank using fish. I know it is not recommended, but I did daily water changes with Prime and continuously monitered the water parameters. I bought 6 zebra danios, and have had them for 2 weeks now. They are all 6 still very happy and healthy - no signs of illness, etc.

Thoughout these 2 weeks, I have been testing the water very frequently and have been confused by my results. For the first week, I never got any readings whatsoever. I still did daily 20% water changes just in case. But no ammonia, nitrites, nitrates... nothing. Then, I started to get what I think was an ammonia reading - a very, very slight one (API Master test kit... I couldn't tell if it was yellow or a very very light green ) I continued my daily water changes. Now over the past three days, my ammonia readings have been definite 0's, AND I have also been getting a 5.0 nitrate reading. I have never gotten anything but 0 nitrites. I read recently that you REALLY have to shake up the nitrate #2 bottle, and have been noticing the nitrate readings ever since I've started banging around the bottle quite a bit more haha!

So... Where do you think my tank stands? I am starting to believe that there was bacteria still in the gravel that could be speeding along my cycling process. I tested my tap water to make sure there were no nitrates/ammonia in it, and I got 0 for both.

P.S. I always test the water BEFORE a water change - at least 24 hours after the last one, so I don't think the Prime could be affecting my result. Also, I have let up on changing the water ever since I noticed the nitrate readings (haven't done a water change in 3 days), and have still been getting consistant 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 5.0 nitrates. Thanks!

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think your readings look good.
It's not unusual not to have a nitrite reading if you're using used gravel etc.
We've seen that happen quite a bit on the forum and I have experienced this myself.
Not sure why, perhaps the bacteria that process the ammonia is less hardy that the bacteria that process nitrites.

taylorbrettj

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks Lucy. Of course I'm itching to get new fish, but I'm going to wait a few more weeks just to make sure everything is still doing okay.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You're welcome and smart move waiting, just in case.

One thing I missed though, was the gravel dried out?
Have you tested your tap water for nitrates?

Your avatar is adorable, btw

taylorbrettj

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you the gravel was not dried out, and my tap water has 0 nitrates.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
taylorbrettj said:
Thank you the gravel was not dried out, and my tap water has 0 nitrates.
Great! Then your readings look good to me .

MindTravel3r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree your numbers look good. I am not sure if you are still doing daily water changes, but, if ammonia and nitrite are at zero, I would switch to weekly water changes, but continue to test ammonia and nitrite every day or two. This way you can get a sense of whether your nitrates are rising. If you're ammonia and nitrites are staying at zero and your nitrates are on the rise, you're cycled.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads