Opinion- which fish to breed?

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by jetajockey, Apr 19, 2010.

1. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

Just looking for everyone's opinion. I'm planning to eventually have several tanks set up and I'd like to breed fish. Anyone have any opinions on what are some good fish to breed?

I don't want to end up with hundreds of fish that I can't even give away, so I am going to pick something that is popular/attractive, preferrably small to medium sized, and schooling if possible. I'd like to go with something somewhat rare, we don't have much of a selection here locally so it'd be nice to have something new that isn't commonly available here.

And lastly I'd like to breed something that doesn't have a ton of requirements to keep them happy, not because I can't provide it, but because I wouldn't feel right giving fish to someone knowing that they don't or won't have the capability or desire to give it the kind of care that it needs.

I live in a duplex right now so the space is at a premium, but I still have some room to work with. I'm buying a house at the end of this year or early next year so I'm going to have a dedicated fish room in the near future.

Was just hoping someone had some experience or ideas in this, to help flesh things out. Thanks!

2. Chris123Well Known MemberMember

Endlers or Sometype of livebearer there pretty easy to breed and plus the ones that you dont want you can feed them to other fish.

Chris

Edit this my 1000th post YAY

3. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

I've had quite a few livebearers (and fry), I'm still tossing up the idea of a pure endler strain but apart from that I really want to stick with egg layers. I also really can't bring myself to turning anything into feeders, im a softy =)

and grats on the 1k :)

4. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

well, they aren't schooling, but you could try convicts. danios are easy to breed but you won't make money.
    and angels don't school, but I know people breed them.

what does your LFS say they will buy?

5. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Celestial pearl danios always seem to be in demand.

6. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

I haven't really spoken in detail to the LFS around here, I will eventually get that sorted out (possibly, depending on how friendly they are, interactions with them have been very hit and miss)

I'm not really in it for the money as much as just being able to successfully breed/spawn/grow out and then properly place the results.

I'll take a look at the celestial pearl danios, they are definitely a possibility. As far as angels go, I've been tempted by them as well but am still undecided.

Another option i was considering is some type of rainbow or some other somewhat rare species (rare as in not in every single pet store like goldfish and plecos) One of my hopes is to eventually give local aquarists access to not normally accessible species, as well.

7. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

If it were me, I would want to try Microrasbora galaxy. I'm not sure that fits all your requirements, but...uh, well, tiny fish are adorable. :p

8. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

those are the same thing as celestial pearl danios, the name was changed. I just did some googling and I believe this is my fish. They are adorable and seem fairly hardy, simple, and desirable.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, now to continue to shop for tanks and a source for a starter group of CPDs :)

9. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

Oh hmm, I'd seen that some folks use them interchangeably, but thought they were still different since, assuming that Microrasbora galaxy would be different from Celestichthys margaritatus. :;sh:;dk

I hope you offer up your new stock on Fishlore! Maybe I could find a tank for them somewhere by then... :p

10. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

Yeah from what i've found online the name was changed over, i have no idea why or how true that is though.

Absolutely, when I get set up and actually start having stock I'll be more than happy to, I'm more interested in happy homes than I am profit margins, so I"ll keep you guys updated =)

11. TreeforkWell Known MemberMember

Yeah the name was changed after further study indicated they were a danio species, that was the third scientific name for them.

12. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Yep, they were reclassified as danios.

13. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

Ah, learn something new everyday. :)

It sounds like you've made your decision but here's just one more pretty little (very little) fish that also looks like it went the Microrasbora -> Danio reclassification route. It's the Danio erythromicron or emerald dwarf rasbora (or danio?). Some links:

14. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

those are cute!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice