Opinion on New Molly Fry

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Brandi Fields, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Brandi FieldsNew MemberMember

We recently had some molly fry pop up in my daughter's 5 gal tank. I "retrieved" the fry and put into a net breeder so momma and her pair wouldn't nibble them up. I have a 29 gal tank in the cycling process, set up on Sat, planted it yesterday. My question is the net breeder is too big for the 5 gal so I moved the lil ones to a temp tank, but it has no filter. This is less than ideal I know but I don't want to move the lil ones into a tank that isn't cycled so is it ok for them to be in a filterless tank for a couple of weeks with frequent water changes? Really trying to save these fry, my daughter and I are excited about the process of baby fish life but i don't want to do the wrong thing for them.

**Also yes I know a 5 gal tank is too small for these once grown, that's why I got the bigger one and no I'm not keeping all of them so the 8 fry I have will not all be in the big tank once they're older. Just trying to keep these guys alive until they're big enough for community.

Thanks!!!

2. WildsideValued MemberMember

It's probably not good practice but I frequently keep my guppy fry in tubs. So long as it's only for a few weeks and you do frequent water changes you should be fine.

3. OP
    OP
    B

Brandi FieldsNew MemberMember

Thank you for the reply!

4. swayamsd

swayamsdValued MemberMember

U can keep, but do water changes daily and graval vac carefully and try to suck up most of the detritus. Feed them finely crushed flakes or hard boiled egg yolk. Make sure u have air supply into the tank.

5. OP
    OP
    B

Brandi FieldsNew MemberMember

Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice