Opinion On Metal Aquarium Stands

jennalynnj

I thought I had read some bad experiences with metal aquarium stands, so I was hesitant to use the one that is coming with my new/used 55, however the cupboard I thought I could use is ~5 inches too short. Whoops. So I am back to the metal stand it came with OR build something perhaps, but I am trying to keep costs down since an upgrade really wasn't in the plan until this tank fell in out laps. Now that I am searching again, I don't find a lot of negative reviews or anything for the metal stands. I think I am mostly just being paranoid because I have kids and that's a lot of aquarium. Do many of you use the metal stands. I mean, I know they are obviously made for that much weight but.... dang that's over 600lbs. Maybe I should predrill some holes and anchor it to the wall? Would that even make a difference, I don't know. It isn't like the kids can tip a tank that heavy, but if they somehow could it would be catastrophic.

After reading horror stories about used tanks I am more paranoid about the tank than the stand now lol. My upgrade dreams have been crushed..

Momgoose56

I thought I had read some bad experiences with metal aquarium stands, so I was hesitant to use the one that is coming with my new/used 55, however the cupboard I thought I could use is ~5 inches too short. Whoops. So I am back to the metal stand it came with OR build something perhaps, but I am trying to keep costs down since an upgrade really wasn't in the plan until this tank fell in out laps. Now that I am searching again, I don't find a lot of negative reviews or anything for the metal stands. I think I am mostly just being paranoid because I have kids and that's a lot of aquarium. Do many of you use the metal stands. I mean, I know they are obviously made for that much weight but.... dang that's over 600lbs. Maybe I should predrill some holes and anchor it to the wall? Would that even make a difference, I don't know. It isn't like the kids can tip a tank that heavy, but if they somehow could it would be catastrophic.
I've used metal stands that are designed for appropriate sized aquariums (10-55g) for decades and had no problems. The lower shelf that comes with most metal stands and stabilizes the legs though, has to be put on the stands properly and is not made (in most cases) to hold a lot of weight (like another smaller aquarium). I think problems are encountered most when the stands are improperly assembled or are used in ways they were not intended. Just double check that all parts of leg attachments are fully inserted in their appropriate receptacles, the bottom stabilizer shelf is attached appropriately, the stand legs are solidly on on the floor with no wobble and your stand/aquarium is leveled before you fill it. Also, never slide a jointed metal stand along an uneven floor (tile, ridged concrete, uneven wood or carpet) to move it. Instead, partially empty the tank, lift it off the stand, move the stand, replace the tank.
Oh, and don't let the toddlers use the bottom shelf as a seat lol!

After reading horror stories about used tanks I am more paranoid about the tank than the stand now lol. My upgrade dreams have been crushed..
Just check all the seams and glass for cracks, chips and the silicone seals for damage and aging. Prefill the tank outside or in a shower or tub and let it sit a couple hours to check for leaks. I have tanks that are 30+ years old that I still use! Be sure to use the appropriate cautions with toddlers and big containers of water while you are testing though.

86 ssinit

If the metal stand is welded and 1 piece it will be fine. If the lower brace is welded on it will hold another tank. Now if this is a screwed together metal stand I would be careful with it.

Quinn_Lamb98

I personally don't see any issues using one, but I absolutely hate the way they look.

May I make a suggestion, I just got a 90 gallon tank a few weeks ago. The stand to go with it, 500$. I said no way, my wife said no way, my wallet said no way.

So I went to home hardware, got them to cut the wood (don't have my own saw) for 1$ a cut, plus the actual length of wood, and bought some screws. I borrowed a buddies drill (mine is 1200km away ATM) and proceeded to build my own. Total cost of the stand, plus some extras on the bill that is unrelated, was 91$ CAD.

You can design it yourself, build the bottom shelf strong enough for a second tank (maybe the tank you are upgrading from), and be certain of the quality. I used the same design as Joey Mullen. Just go to his YouTube, there is a folder of his stand builds. Took me a total of about an hour and a half to assemble (my buddies drill was garbage, just used a screw driver).

jennalynnj

Stands are ridiculously priced, aren't they?! That is the other option. It will cost some but not nearly as much. I will look up some videos!

Quinn_Lamb98

Stands are ridiculously priced, aren't they?! That is the other option. It will cost some but not nearly as much. I will look up some videos!

Absolutely. And half of it is particule board. Not very good for water....

And with a 55 gallon you won't need much wood at all. I built my stand for a 90 gallon, but it could easily hold a 4 foot 120 gallon.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mrfister1116
Replies
Views
AvalancheDave
  • Question
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies