Opinion On Helping A New-ish Tank For A Weekend

JMcC

Reaction score
Hey,

I am going out of town early tomorrow morning and coming back Sunday evening. I know fish can go a few days without food, so I was planning on feeding them tomorrow morning before I left and then again when I got home. The tank is just finishing cycling with new cardinal tetras in it (only 3), and the ammonia just hit 0 yesterday. Nitrates are a touch high...between 40-80...I can never tell the difference between the nitrates. Would you all do a 20% change of water before leaving just to be on the safe side?

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Congrats on finishing your cycle!
Yes, I would do a water change before leaving. I would do maybe 50%. The fish should be fine without food over the weekend. My only concern would be if your cycle hadnt actually finished and you just happened to get lucky readings, but I doubt thats the case. Good luck!

JMcC

Reaction score
Thanks. There's ammonia in my tap, and I was nervous about pulling out too much of the beneficial bacteria with that big of a change while I couldn't monitor it. I've been doing daily 25% or so, but I didn't do one yesterday just to make sure the reading would hold.

Has anyone here ever added safestart to the water that will be added to the tank to help remove the ammonia prior to it going into the tank with a large water change? Would that be necessary if using Prime?

Last edited:

Zka17

Valued Member
Reaction score
If you using Prime, then don't worry about the tap water! Just dose it correctly (don't add too less, more won't hurt), and you are good to go.

Do not feed before you leave!!! Do a water change instead. And don't worry about the beneficial bacteria either - they're not in the water you are going to change, they live attached to different surfaces (inside your filter and in the aquarium).

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The bacteria does not live in the water column, it lives on hard surfaces in your tank (primarily your filter media), so performing a water change will not remove any bacteria.

TSS takes several days before the bacteria sets up shop and start converting ammonia and nitrites, using it in that manner will be no help. But Prime will detox that ammonia in your tap water for 24-48 hours, and if your tank is cycled, that detoxed ammonia should be processed before that.

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Don't feed at all until you get back. Your enemy is ammonia and nitrites, not starvation. Your fish will be fine. If you load them up on food now in anticipation of leaving for a couple days, that itself will cause large production of ammonia. Fish can go weeks without food.

Cycle additives introduce ammonia and nitrites into your tank. In my opinion adding it now and leaving would be a huge mistake. It will send your water parameters haywire and you won't be there to perform any emergency maintenance. Then again, I'm against using cycle boosters in the first place.

Not feeding and turning the lights off will help your fish lay low for a few days and will reduce ammonia and nitrites.

JMcC

Reaction score
Thank you all!
I did a super light feeding (before reading some of these last comments) and made sure there wasn't any not eaten, and I actually did a medium water change. Fish are fine (survived the earthquakes and all), and everything appears normal at this point. Thank you again for the guidance!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom