Opinion On Fish Spas?

Adriifu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hello! I was walking through my local mall and found a place that provides a special spa. Apparently, they use fish called Garra Rufas that munch on the dead skin of your feet. This has been banned in multiple states. I’ve been doing some researcch on it and wanted to know your opinions. Thanks

sierrah766

Valued Member
Reaction score
They had them at the aquarium, obviously you couldn’t put your feet in but they allowed you to put your hands in. It felt really interesting

Adriifu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
sierrah766 said:
They had them at the aquarium, obviously you couldn’t put your feet in but they allowed you to put your hands in. It felt really interesting
Yeah.. I’ve seen articles that claim these fish are severely starved to the point where they’re forced to feed on dead skin, but I’m not completely sure it’s true.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I thought they were illegal in the US?

I think that there is a law stating that all spa materials must be disinfected after every use.

Also, it's inhumane as they will only eat dead skin and not get their needed nutrition.

I saw some of them at my LFS and I wanted to get them.

Adriifu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
75g Discus Tank said:
I thought they were illegal in the US?

I think that there is a law stating that all spa materials must be disinfected after every use.

Also, it's inhumane as they will only eat dead skin and not get their needed nutrition.

I saw some of them at my LFS and I wanted to get them.
It’s illegal in only 14 states, I think. Some providences in Canada as well. I was asking the employees at the store and apparently they feed them actual food after they close. There’s a PETA article on these things with no sources. And, of course, PETA is completely biased, so I’m trying to find more information.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
thats one of those gray area things. The actual action of the fish eating dead skin isnt bad for them, they are just doing what they do. If their fed and taken care of its not a bad thing. However if they are starved so they do a better job thats were its bad.

Adriifu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
david1978 said:
thats one of those gray area things. The actual action of the fish eating dead skin isnt bad for them, they are just doing what they do. If their fed and taken care of its not a bad thing. However if they are starved so they do a better job thats were its bad.
Yeah. It really depends on the quality and knowledge of the spa and its employees.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm not a big fan of fish spas as some places don't properly care for them and not sure how I should feel about feeding fish my dead skin

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’ve actually done it once or twice. That was years ago. I don’t have any specific feelings on it.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think its fine to have them but not forcing them to starve. Feed them and if they want to nibble on you they can, but if they dont too bad.

Adriifu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
JamieXPXP said:
I'm not a big fan of fish spas as some places don't properly care for them and not sure how I should feel about feeding fish my dead skin
Apparently, these fish can get around 6 inches. The spa I saw kept around 50 of them in a bunch of what looked like 15-gallon tanks. Hopefully they don't have to live there for the rest of their lives.. They were pretty small at the time.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom