3 plants and sand substrate

Heater 78 degree water

What are yalls opinions on what I got living in the tank:

1 African Dwarf Frog

1 One Cory cat

1 One Nerite snail

2. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Cover up the filter with a sponge pre-filter and you can get RCS or some kind of shrimp species. Cories are meant to be in groups of 6+ and a 5gal doesn't have any room to swim.
    Oh also is your tank cycled?
    I guess you could put a beta in a 5 gal

3. Airth

Airth Valued Member Member

I'd rehome the cory cat or upgrade your tank to at least a 20 gallon long. They're schooling fish and really should be kept in groups of at least 6. A 5 gallon tank isn't big enough for a school. There are rumors of Petco's $/gallon sale coming soon. Perhaps look into a larger tank when it comes back?

The ADF and Nerite are alright I believe.

4. Anastasia Vedmedenko

Anastasia Vedmedenko New Member Member

I would also avoid the cory but you could definitely try a betta! You can find a female betta that looks just as pretty as a male and they will not disturb your tankmates. Keep in mind that both snails and dwarf frogs produce a LOT of waste so I'd go with just one of them unless you're ready to do frequent water changes. If you get the dwarf frog you will have to target feed as well. In my opinion, shrimp are much more fun to watch than snails and have almost no effect on bioload. A betta really is the best fish to keep in a tank of that size though

5. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree that cory cats are not suitable for a five gallon.

I wouldn't do a betta with an african dwarf frog. The frogs have very poor eyesight and many times see long tails, such as that of most bettas, as moving food. This can then lead into a damaged betta and/or frog.

A nerite snail also has a way lower bioload then say a mystery snail so you could do more then one of them in a five gallon.

Now if you started from scratch you could keep in the tank one pea puffer or shrimp colony, or one betta with nerite snails, or a snail colony, or maybe some nano fish.