Opinion on 55g stand 55 Gallon Tank

1. Castiel* Well Known Member Member

My current 55g tank stand is in bad shape and the wood is starting to split. After the amount of storms and water we had in our area this summer it got damaged in my basement.

I found this one http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3730+9883&pcatid=9883

Wondering how it would work? And would give me the excuse to get another 55g tank as I would have the space.
    Just didn't know about putting it up on concrete blocks to keep it off the floor and how I would level it?

If it did get water on it, do I have to worry much about it rusting since it is Steel?

Thanks!

2. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

I don't think rust would ever be an issue. It would have to be exposed to extensive water and oxygen for that to be a problem. I would not mess around with putting it up on blocks, though. One of the things you accept with a stand like that is one tank sitting on the floor, but that's not a big deal.
    I have two concerns about stands like that. First, where does all your equipment go? The picture does now show any filters anywhere. Second, and much bigger, is the power strip. You'd almost have to mount a strip on the wall because I don't see how you can set up a proper drip loop with a tank that sits on the floor.

3. Castiel* Well Known Member Member

Yes its in my basement right not which is not remodeled so its pretty nasty. My power strip and air pump are mounted on the wall. I run HOB filters so no canisters.

I have a Steel filing cabinet with all my extra filters, media, food, etc.. so I wouldn't have any problem with that, just filling the filters back up after restarting them on the bottom tank. Also leveling it out? The floor isn't that level to begin with. Or would the weight of the tanks pretty much plant it.

I just worried about it sitting on the floor and if water leaked into the basement maybe overtime it could rust out.. I plan on buying a second 55g for underneath it to full fill its purpose.

4. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Oh, nice! The power source was the only concern I would have. You covered that one already. Priming might be a pain but it is workable. I know I saw someone on this board comment on that before.

I think stacked tanks would look really cool, but I don't know what to say about the leveling issue.

5. Castiel* Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll just get to that step as it comes. Maybe its not off as bad as I think.
    If anything I can move it to a different part of the basement.

Only reason I want this stand is to get another 55g for underneath it.

6. Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

The problem I see, is that in putting it on concrete blocks is that your going to be raising the center of gravity on the tank. Because 55 gallon tanks are so thin compared to their length and the height on the stand, doing this causes them to rock. If you don't plan on putting the second tank in immediately, I would put plywood across the bottom and weight it down with more blocks. Make sure you use solid concrete blocks, as there is a possibility of the granular ones giving under the weight of 110 gallons of water and equipment.

7. Castiel* Well Known Member Member

I think I've decided against using any blocks underneath it would make it almost impossible to clean the tank as I'm already armpit deep cleaning the bottom of the tank. I am just letting it sit on the floor like normal, if its not level that is the only thing I'm worried about how to do.