Opinion For New, Interesting Fish

1. Saobie

Saobie Valued Member Member

So my new 54g aquarium is in its first week of in-fish cycling (all is going well), and when its done i have the prospect of adding in new, interesting fish. Currently i already have 2 koi angels (not in the 54g til its cycled), 1 bristlenose pleco, 1 gold inca snail (both also not in the 54g rn), 1 male gold wonder killifish, 1 powdered dwarf gourami, and 1 platinum sailfin molly

I plan to add 1 giant african fan shrimp and at least 5 yellow laser corydoras. With the room left i figure i could fit more in, and want some opinions

I had thought about a fire gourami, theyre pretty neat and his colors contract with the blue one. Iv also thought about getting an african butterflyfish, but have mild concerns about him and my killi both being top dwellers, and him needing slow water while the shrimp needs a current

Anyone got suggestions? Im a huge fan of diversity in both species and color

2. tetraboi

tetraboi Valued Member Member

GBRs or Bolivian rams are cool

3. Tony_097

Tony_097 New Member Member

Rams would be amazing in my opinion

4. OP
    OP
    Saobie

GBR as in great barrier reef fish?

Iv always liked Rams but unfortunately, despite being my aquarium, it is not soley up to me what gets to go in it. My mom and sister would be against getting a cichlid of any kind with our angels. Im well aware rams are on the docile side like angels but they insist not to get one. See i LOVE cichlids, but i know the majority are not very community friendly and a lot of them get kinda big too. But i know of a few species, such as the rams, that are more docile and also super pretty and colorful. They dont think ANY cichlid is a good choice, even though iv done research

Assuming i could and did, would i have space for more fish? If not, what else might be a good addition? My tank is more or less a "semi aggressive" tank at this point

EDIT: Ah, German Blue Ram

5. Tony_097

Blood parrots are amazing fish they are peaceful and docile your family will love them

6. OP
    OP
    Saobie

Red Parrot/Blood Parrots get rather large though dont they? I was also under the impression that they were actually highly aggressive, along the lines of a Flowerhorn. Thats not true?

Looked up their max size and temperment. While i appear to be wrong about their aggression, i see they can reach 8 inches. Isnt that too large for my tank, given all thats already in/going to be in?

7. Tony_097

I have had mine for a couple years now in a 55 without any problems so far i think you are thinking of a variant called the king kong parrot thoose do grow rather large

8. OP
    OP
    Saobie

Alright, so we have rams and blood parrots on the table. Anything else that might be interesting, would fit, and is compatible?

What about a Gold Severum? They also reach 8 inches, and if i could get a fish of that size and still work out with my tank, itd be a neat addition

9. Tony_097

Dont know to much about the severum a centerpiece in my tank is a school of black and albino skrit tetras they make rather intresting displays in my opinion not much to go around with peaceful chiclids

10. OP
    OP
    Saobie

My display fish rn are my angelfish pair (still undetermined if its a mating pair or 2 males). But my tank has, what id consider, all sorts of display fish. Currently all my fish are different in both species and color. A bright blue gourami, green-gold killi, platinum white molly, 2 koi-spotted angels, a black with gold spots pleco, a white and gold snail, soon to be a small handful of solid gold catfish, and a large dull blue shrimp. Theyre all different and unique so i consider all of them show fish, but the most prominent appearence would be the angels

Really i just want to put in more fish that are also unique and interesting. But im aware i dont have much more space to work with, so im skeptical of getting any fish over 5 inches in length

Keyhole Cichlid did also cross my mind

11. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

Consider more mollies, just different colour variations - like black, red, yellow ect?

12. OP
    OP
    Saobie

Yea thats a consideration. I saw a particular one at the store i really liked

13. aussieJJDude

They are social fish, so they often enjoy having a species buddy or two. I'd reccomend either sticking with one sex only, since these things breed like rabbits!

14. OP
    OP
    Saobie

Well if they did breed, my killi and angels would readily eat the fry (theyv been fed guppy fry before)

Either way im strongly looking at the Keyhole Cichlid rn. Think its possible i could get a keyhole and a molly?

15. aussieJJDude

I would reccomend against it. Angels can get pretty aggressive when they want to, and the size of a keyhole basically is a massive target...

16. OP
    OP
    Saobie

But dont mollies also get pretty medium? Like 4-5 inches?

17. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

What about some large mystery snails of varying colors? There's all kinds of different morphs available now.

18. OP
    OP
    Saobie

I could look into getting some. I did have 2 snails, but one died of old age

With my pleco, 5ish cories, 1 snail, and the giant fan shrimp, i wouldnt have too many bottom feeders? Im also interested in getting a clam too

19. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

The clam would most likely burrow and you'll never see it. And I wouldn't consider snails bottom feeders. I'd consider them hard surface feeders. They'll use every surface, not just the bottom. You can encourage them to use more of the top of the water column by having a lot of tall objects for them to climb, like plants, and driftwood.

20. Tony_097

I dont know if it's true or not but i heard if the clam dies it may cause an ammonia spike