operator error or bad tank maintenance??

pamela

Reaction score
I'm not sure I should be on the "beginners" forum since I've had a tank now for over 5 years.. but I still feel like a novice. There's so much I just still don't know. For instance, I find that the glass cover to my tank is constantly filthy. It seems to grow a hard crusty substance everytime I turn my back. The only way to remove it is to completely remove the entire top of the tank cover, separate all the components (glass from plastic), then use a new sharp razor blade to scrape the irritating substance away. Sometimes I think I see tiny moving objects along the edges.. like small organisms. So, I've started rinsing everything in a bleach solution (1/4 cup bleach to 1 gallon water), then a hot tap water rinse, then allow everything to dry on towels in the kitchen (usually over night .. as it's the only time I can be absolutely sure one of my three preschoolers won't get into anything). But, time and time again it starts to reappear after only a few weeks. It can't be hard water build up as I'm using only distilled water in my tank. And besides, hard water doesn't have living breathing MOVING parts. I have a 50 gallon freshwater with an Eheim filter system. The pet store suggested that I use a product by Kent Freshwater called R/O Right to restore the essential minerals to the water. We have a very serious evaporation problem (we're in the middle of a drought and water rationing) and I have to add another gallon of water about every three or four days just to keep the water level from dropping a half inch or so. Any ideas what this could possibly be and how I can prevent it?
Pamela

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Unless your keeping extremely delicate fish it's not necessary to use anything besides your tap water treated with dechlor. distilled /RO water doesn't have the trace elements your fish and plants need.
As to the stuff that gets on your glass- thats the bane of all fish keepers. Water evaporates then dries on the glass tops causing a film. then its repeated over and over resulting in the crust you describe. Vinegar and a brush will take it off.
Have you looked at the wigglies under a magnifying glass? That would help us know what they are.
Congratulations on keeping a tank for five years!! and WELCOME TO FISHLORE!!
Carol

LilaBean

Valued Member
Reaction score
we are always amazed at how many little critters we see when we do water changes and dump the old water-- but i never thought to put them under a scope!! i should have know that you fishlore experts would know what they were with a good description!! LOL LILA

pamela

Reaction score
I use distilled water b/c I wouldn't (and don't) drink the stuff out of the tap. Our reservoir is so low that it's practically a mud hole instead of a water supply for the city. The water tastes bad, smells bad, and has stuff floating in it (most days). I don't cook with it. We use the tap for watering the plants, washing the dishes, and taking a bath. That's about all. So I keep distilled in the tank. The tank is far cleaner than that of some of our friends and I don't seem to have any complaints from the fish. As long as I'm using the essential mineral supplement for all water changes I shouldn't encounter any problems with fish health, right? We have only fake plants.. mostly rocks and statues in the tank. I know, not very decorative of me.. but I have 3 kids, ages 1, 3, and 5. I have my hands full most days. The fish are doing good to be fed!
Pamela

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As long as you add the supplements to your water it should be fine
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom