Open Wound On My Fish’s Head?

gilbertsmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This is my other betta named Carl. He didn’t have this on his head earlier today/yesterday. What could it be?
Image1524957573.694711.jpg

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Any sharp decor? It could have been from brushing up against something sharp. Keep the water extremely clean for healing.

gilbertsmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
TexasDomer said:
Can you give us more info?

Tank size and tank mates?

pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates?
Tank size is 1/2 a gallon. I was originally going to put him in my 10 gallon tank along with my other betta (with a divider) but unfortunately, while trying to acclimatize him to the water, my other betta kept seeing him & trying to fight him through his bag, so I’ve temporarily moved him into a small one while I work on purchasing a larger tank. As for the pH, temp, etc, I’m not sure because I don’t have a testing kit or heater/filter because this is a temporary tank.

75g Discus Tank said:
Any sharp decor? It could have been from brushing up against something sharp. Keep the water extremely clean for healing.
He does have 1 plastic plant in his small tank so I think he cut himself on it. I will try to keep the water clean

Does anyone have any treatment advice?

gilbertsmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
RonJ said:
Half a gallon is not at all adequate for a betta. Not even close.
If you bothered to read what I wrote earlier you would've noticed I said it was a TEMPORARY tank. TEMPORARY. I said I was working on getting him a BIGGER tank.

RonJ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
gilbertsmom said:
If you bothered to read what I wrote earlier you would've noticed I said it was a TEMPORARY tank. TEMPORARY. I said I was working on getting him a BIGGER tank.
Well the point is even for temporary half a gallon is not adequate. Can you put yourself in a car boot temporarily for a couple of days? For you to administer any kind of treatment to at least get a 2.5G tank. And it costs just $5. Hope you don't have to work on it for long to get one.

And the fact that your tank is uncyled and no filter, no heater and you have no way to test your water parameters mean, no matter how temporary, it won't do any good to an injured or sick fish other than exacerbating things 10 fold.

gilbertsmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
RonJ said:
Well the point is even for temporary half a gallon is not adequate. Can you put yourself in a car boot temporarily for a couple of days? For you to administer any kind of treatment to at least get a 2.5G tank. And it costs just $5. Hope you don't have to work on it for long to get one.

And the fact that your tank is uncyled and no filter, no heater and you have no way to test your water parameters mean, no matter how temporary, it won't do any good to an injured or sick fish other than exacerbating things 10 fold.
I’m literally underage & I’m a few months away from graduating so I don’t have time for a job because setting myself up for my future is my #1 priority. If you wanna buy a tank for me then that’s fine but I’m assuming you don’t so maybe stop being so harsh Not everyone on this website is able to go out and buy something anytime they want to and I’m doing the best I can at the moment. Go be condescending elsewhere.

gilbertsmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
He’s not eating his food & he‘s only staying in one corner, something he usually does except he barely reacts when I try to move him. Are there any medications I can give him?

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i think that all the recomendations provided are all tht can been done to help your fish. ron j was simply trying to help to get your fish well again. if you get a wound you dont put dirt on it. and if you are going to get a bigger tank now is the time while he is sick or injered. i understand school is very important but maybe ou shoould stop fish keeping until you have the time and money. this is a site where people come to help, and i think you thought he was being mean but infact he was giving you the only advice possible for this situation. its a fact the fish will not get better in this set up. im sorry if these answeres are not what you want to hear but it is siply the only answer there is

RonJ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
gilbertsmom said:
If you wanna buy a tank for me then that’s fine but I’m assuming you don’t.
Pls do not underestimate people here. There could be people willing to giveaway a tank, heater etc. Have you checked Craigslist? Have you checked local forums? FB etc!

And please do not assume things about me too. I wouldn’t have minded buying you a tank had you asked nicely as well.

But probably it is too late for this betta.

If he is in a 0.5G gallon pls change water Everyday. And yes still need to have a heater. Else it’s too cold for betta.

I simply do not want to argue with you that’s why I ignored your yelling and other things. Because that’s not gonna help your fish anyway.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don't think medications are necessary. Water quality is likely the bigger issue here. Until you can move him to a bigger tank, I would be doing 50% daily water changes. If you can't move him to a bigger, heated, filtered tank within the month, I'd take him back to the pet store or give him away.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom